What's new

Pioneer Elite Pro530 discontinued :confused: (1 Viewer)

baja

Agent
I heard this today from a reputable source. They could not tell me anymore than once they sell what they got that will be it for the 530. Anyone have any idea what is up???? Is it being replaced by another model or maybe a new technology...DLP???? I couldn't get anymore answers other than it soon will not be available anymore.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I find that highly unlikely since they just hit stores last December. I doubt Pioneer would have put the money and time that they did into improving the 30 series just to discontinue it in 6 months. Please list your reputable source. What about the other 630 and 730, did they say anything about those, or just the 530?

Now I have heard that the SD533 is being discontinued and places like Onecall are clearancing them out and then state they are gone forever. Perphaps your source got the 530 and the 533 confused? There has been no info released on any new versions of the SD533.

baja

Agent
It was very clear we were talking about the Elite Pro 530. The conversation was ONLY on this TV. I even got the price and all and it all matched up to that set. Again the person I was talking to siad they could say nothing more but that after they sold the one remaining set that would be it. I asked if it was that they were stopping carring the line they said "no". I asked if they were stopping production and all he would say is "something like that". No more info would be offered.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Did they say anything about the 630 or 730 being discontinued? Or only the 530. I find this really hard to believe and I would be skeptical if I were you. Do you know this place well? Maybe they're getting out of the Elite business and want to make a sale? I'm going to call the place where I bought my 530 last month and see what they tell me. I just find it hard to believe the Pioneer would already replace, or discontinue in six months time, a set that is at the leading edge of the RPTV industry and that they put so much improvment into over the 20 series. Of couse, stranger things have happended. I'll post what I find out from my dealer. I got mine from Ulimate Electronics. Who are you getting your info from?

baja

Agent
Greg let me know what you find. I was as surprised as you. I am in the market for either the Pro530 or the new Samsung DLP's. The conversation started from a "what do you think" comparison btwn the Pro 530 and the new Samsung 50" DLP. That's when he told me the Pioneer was on it's way out. Again, no other info could be given as to what is it's replacement. We did not mention any other sizes so I can not comment on that. He had both TV's to sell me so it wasn't that they were trying to sell what's in stock.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just spoke with someone who works at a hifi shop and he said he will know more in June after he goes to a Pioneer show. Word is though it sounds like they are going to go stricltly along the Plasma line. We will have to wait and see I guess.....

greg_t

Screenwriter
I just can't imagine them doing just plasma and getting out of RPTV altogether. People are really just starting to go with widescreen RPTV's and plasma is still expensive and has issues of it's own. I called my local ultimate electronics, and they told me they have one 530 in the store, and four in their warehouse. They show the 530 is still an active product and they have no plans to discontinue. I told the salesman another local dealer told me they were being discontinued, and he said that the 520 is, not the 530. I also sent an email to Onecall but haven't got a reply yet. So who really knows. I wouldn't put it past Pioneer to mess up, their biggest mistake is having terrible distribution with the SD533 and SD643. They could give Toshiba, Hitachi, and Mits a run for their money if Pioneer didn't make it near impossible to find the sets.

Herman S

Agent
I recently talked to my local hometheater store and my friend there said that the Pioneer Rep. told them that the company was getting out of making RPTVs. I was shocked to hear this because I too have a Pioneer. I also saw that the store got rid of all its Pioneer RPTVs and is switching over to Hitachi RPTVs.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Herman,
That is what my local friend told me. Like I said once he gets back from the Pioneer convention in June he will know more. I just wonder if it pays to buy the Pioneer 53hdd if they still have any left at there shop since the price will probably drop but will there still be support for it???

greg_t

Screenwriter
The replacement for the SD533 is due out in the June/July time frame. So it doesn't look like Pioneer is getting out of rear projection.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Even if a product is dropped, you'll be able to get replacement parts for years. If you go to to the Pioneer parts webpage, you can still get parts for several of their olders laserdisc players, like the CLD 79 and 99, for example.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I would sure like to hear something firm about this before buying a new set. I have some time off starting June 16 and was hoping to buy a Pioneer Elite 630 that week but this would make me pause and rethink it. I know you can still get parts for something up to 7 years but if a complete product line is dropped you wonder how much support you would get from the mfg. if some other problem arises during the first year or two of life. It may not be in their plans to do much research in tracking down the cause of the said problem. Am I making sense there??? I know that may sound a little paranoid but this is a big purchase and I would like to have all the bases covered. I would have already bought another Sony set because of the luck I've had with my current Sony RPTV but the current models have me a little gun shy with all the flicker problems. Thanks for anymore input,advice or more news about the Pioneer situation.
Later
Jim

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Jim, TV product lines don't last very long. But don't let the new model name and enclosure fool you. Usually, 90% of the internal bits are the same on a new model :) Support for the Elite 630 will be there when you need it.

Sean.

Users who are viewing this thread