What's new

Pioneer DV-578A (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yeah, this is a messy, unfortunate issue for pretty much every DTS CD title that UMG has re-released on DVD-A. Brand New Day, High Lonesome Sound, The Globe Sessions, Love Scenes . . . . . .

-p

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Well, I don't know about that, but I do tend to gravitate towards those threads though like a fly on ...ahh, make that bee to honey, although the former may be more appropo.

Probably a byproduct of having to sort out the FUBAR BM in the Pio 45a.

Long live the ICBM.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Well, I don't know about that, but I do tend to gravitate towards those threads though like a fly on ...ahh, make that bee to honey, although the former may be more appropo.

Probably a byproduct of having to sort out the FUBAR BM in the Pio 45a.

Long live the ICBM.

BGL

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Some quick video questions. Does this player do pillarboxing of 4x3 material? I know it wont do format scaling like older JVCs, but if it does 4x3 and with better quality than my old JVC, I will upgrade.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Not quite enough information to know exactly what you're after, Sean, but to the extent you're asking about whether this player will windowbox 4x3 program material when viewing on a 16:9 set, then I would think the answer is "yes." This is a pretty common feature actually--I think as common as all DVD players letterboxing a widescreen image for display on a 4:3 set.

-p

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok good, because a few years ago when I bought my JVC XV75 that feature was a pretty rare thing. My TV locks into full mode when getting a progressive signal, and the ability of the JVC to windowbox/pillarbox the 4x3 stuff like TV shows is invaluable. I would also prefer a player that would scale non anamorphic DVDs like Abyss to fill the 16x9 as well, much like the RP91 and old JVCs, but that feature I know is really rare lately.

As long as this player does the windowboxing, it is high on my list now.

How is the progressive quality? Chroma Bug?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sean:

Although I'm sure you knew what you had in mind, this is not what you originally asked about in your post #76. Windowboxing of 4x3 material on a 16:9 display is one thing. What you're referring to now is aspect ratio control of non-anamorphic DVD program material and that's a horse of a different color.

Anyone else with more/different information should by all means chime in, but it's my understanding that aspect ratio control depends upon how both your player and set interact.

What's the model number of your display device? If your particular set locks into a particular one of its probably varied widescreen display modes when fed a progressive signal via one of its component inputs, it's my understanding that that is more of a display device issue than a player issue.

In other words, not unlike when you play The Abyss or other non-anamorphic widescreen material, I think you then have to either switch to interlace and get proper image composition with less resolution, or stay progressive and find the least distorting widescreen mode.

-p

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I think you are on the right track Paul.

My set (Pio 533) does NOT lock into full, but for those sets that do, its a real PITA if the player can not scale.

As a side note, the Pio 45a has a feature that is intended to switch the player from interlaced to progressive when it detects anamorphic content (I think it looks for a flag).

That is helpful if the set locks into Full with any progressive signal, since non-anamorphic stuff will automatically switch the player to interlaced, and thus you regain control of the set.

Of course, the problem with that is most sets require different calibration for progressive vs. interlaced signals (and some players have a different set-up level as well), so you may gain aspect ratio control, but end up with red faces, and grey blacks!

BGL

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
According to who of Pio Japan, saying exactly what and where, Francisco?

Search the lengthy HTF 563A thread for "DSD," "PCM" and "downconversion." This issue has been thoroughly vetted and, no disprespect to you personally, but I don't think whatever Pio rep you're referring to knows what he's talking about.

And unless and until I see reliable, consistent indication otherwise, I have no reason to believe the 578A handles DSD-to-PCM downconversion any differently than the 563A.

-p

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Secrets has posted their June 2004 DVD benchmark shootout on its website. The latest benchmark test includes the DV-578A.
The benchmark can be found at
hometheaterhifi.com

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

According to Post#31 by Danny Tse which refers to an audiocircle.com link, Alex Peychev of APL Hi-fi indicates the DV-563A is a "true DSD machine" as opposed to the DV-578A which converts DSD to 88.2/24 PCM.

Of course that is just one person's findings and I can not vouch for that person, and there are many on the 563a thread that feel otherwise and other articles I have read that indicate otherwise. I'm not sure this helps anyone, probably causes more confusion, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I read very quickly through this thread, so if I missed the answer, please forgive me.

Does the 578 play the newer DVD-Audio discs that the 563 refused to play? Examples...Steely Dan Gaucho, T-Rex Electric Warrior, Neil Young Greendale???

Pioneer won't let me upgrade my own player and I'm not going to spend any additional money to get it fixed (time off work, driving or shipping costs.)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I was worried more about the windowboxing first, and then the format correction second. I was asking two different questions. And I know that the locking into full mode is display specific. I bought my panny back in 2002.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

As you know the upgrade only takes a few minutes to complete. It may be worth you time to check the Pioneer database for authorize repair centers locally.
The firmware update took care of my the DVD-A issues and did not cost a dime and < ten mile drive :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

My 578 plays gaucho, NP. This is right out of the box, no firmware upgrade. Seems this problem was fixed with the model change.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately for me, I'm looking at a minimum 1.5 hours each way to the nearest repair shop. Personally not into boxing and shipping either...

It's probably been covered here on other threads but if the fix is simply a CD-based firmware upgrade, I don't understand Pioneer's reluctance to give users access to it via a download. I upgraded my Denon 2200 a few months back and it went smooth as silk. My feelings are "come on Pioneer, most of us PC users are more than capable of doing these kinds of repairs. For those who want or need some help in this area, give us access to it."

Anyway, I'll likely donate the 563 to someone in my family that's not into DVD-A and buy a 578. It's probably cheaper (overall) and certainly easier for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks