What's new

Pioneer DV-578A (1 Viewer)

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Im pretty new to this board but it seems no one can give you a straight answer. Probably because its all opinion. If you look at the older models review you'll see mostly positive comments even though people on this board have been slamming it. I think in the long run if you don't expect to have 600 dvd player for 150 bucks you won't be disappointed. Im going to Best Buy and buying whichever they have available and stop worrying about this spec or that spec. Im sure it will be good enough for my non-audiophile needs. if there is a problem Ill take it back simple as that.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

Maybe I should re-break it down:

1) If you are looking to watch movies (on a good display) buy the highest rated (video quality) player at the output you are looking for (hmdi, dvi, comp, or svid), that is within your price range.

[Check Secrets for ratings (575 not rated yet - but they have been updating their test every two months, one due in July)]

2) If you are looking to watch movies, and listen to an occaisional dvda/sacd, and you have a small, modest, and/or entry-level audio setup, then any one of the entry-level universal players will be fine (keeping in mind rules listed in #1 above).

3) If you are looking to watch movies, and listen to dvda/sacd, and you have a good audio system and are looking for a comparable sound, then an entry-level universal player that uses a budget DAC and/or has limited BM/TA capabilities is probably not for you (afterall, you wouldnt buy a receiver without BM/TA/HQ-DAC, right). People in this catagory need to look for a player (following #1 above) that also does high-quality audio. Right now, this market is only served by hi-end gear. A better solution (my opinion) is to look for a player (following #1 above), and buy a separate player to handle the dvda/sacd duties.

Since this is the 575 thread, I would say that the 575 can be considered for #1 & 2 (yet may or may not be the right choice since that choice is dependent upon other factors).

Is there at least one person out there helped by this?

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
I was following you pretty well until:

DAC and/or has limited BM/TA capabilities is probably not for you (afterall, you wouldnt buy a receiver without BM/TA/HQ-DAC, right

what? Im such a noob.
I have a Hit 51s500 and the Onkyo 7.1 Home theater in the box (which cost me 399.00) Its hard for me to spend 600 dollars on a DVD player when I payed less for my Amp and speaker set. Im not a huge audiophile I just want a dvd player that will be reliable and have a good picture and decent sound. it will mostly be used for movies. I want to start collecting SACD's and DVD audios. you have to remember this is my first RPTV, and my first serious surround system, I really feel this player should be fine for me. I really just don't want a player that will constantly skip or freeze on movies like my current sony does.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Mike

You are in catagory 2. 575 will work for your needs (provided no glaring problems pop up with the unit) as will the 841.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Welcome to the Forum and the thread, Mike!S.

Just a minor correction, Rob, since we have more than one person saying that they are a little confused: technically, this isn’t the 575A thread. It’s the 578A thread. The 575 is the European equivalent of the 578A. I think it an important distinction because I wouldn’t want someone thinking that they are going to see the 575A model number on a unit in a Stateside store.

-p

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

S&V did one, and they loved it. Of course, they love everyone that advertises in their magazine (ever notice that when they review a piece of equipment, there is an add for that exact same model near by).

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Just got home from work. Had the 578A on display and in stock finally. Looks very similar to last years, although the coloring of the casing looks a little nicer, not as cheap. And its only 150 to boot.

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude. Im just a little overwhelmed at some of this stuff. Looks like Ill pick up the new 578 model, when I have a chance. Thanks for your help!

PS the reviews i was referring too were the reviews Ive read on Epinions and Amazon.

Kurt_G

Grip
I think I'm going to pick up the 578A as well, even though I can get the 563A for $115. I think all in all, and Lord knows I could be wrong, but I think the 578A proves itself as being a little better over the 563A.

If I'm wrong about this assumption, please correct me. I really want to get the better between the two.

Thanks!

KG

Kurt_G

Grip
I think I'm going to pick up the 578A as well, even though I can get the 563A for $115. I think all in all, and Lord knows I could be wrong, but I think the 578A proves itself as being a little better over the 563A.

If I'm wrong about this assumption, please correct me. I really want to get the better between the two.

Thanks!

KG

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Mike

Does your Onkyo have 5.1 analog inputs? You didnt post the model number, but at $399 I will assume that it does not. In this case, you will be connecting via the digital link, and all this talk of BM and DACs doesnt apply.

Enjoy

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Mike

Does your Onkyo have 5.1 analog inputs? You didnt post the model number, but at $399 I will assume that it does not. In this case, you will be connecting via the digital link, and all this talk of BM and DACs doesnt apply.

Enjoy

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure the DV-578A will be fine for the casual home theater crowd and those looking to explore DVD-A and SACD. I noticed on another board, the avs forum, Kris Deering, a contributing editor to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, will be releasing one of his benchmark tests sometime next week. This new benchmark will compare upwards of 16 dvd players, including the DV-578A. Initial impressions seem to be the audio quaility is not noticeably different from the 563a, but video quality appears better.

We'll find out more next week, but in the meantime, I would love to hear about impressions about the new player from anyone who has picked it up.

I still can't posts links yet, so cut and paste below to find out more.

avsforum.com (search for in the forum section DV-578A)

hometheaterhifi.com (look for the benchmark at the bottom right of the page)

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I am sure the DV-578A will be fine for the casual home theater crowd and those looking to explore DVD-A and SACD. I noticed on another board, the avs forum, Kris Deering, a contributing editor to Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity, will be releasing one of his benchmark tests sometime next week. This new benchmark will compare upwards of 16 dvd players, including the DV-578A. Initial impressions seem to be the audio quaility is not noticeably different from the 563a, but video quality appears better.

We'll find out more next week, but in the meantime, I would love to hear about impressions about the new player from anyone who has picked it up.

I still can't posts links yet, so cut and paste below to find out more.

avsforum.com (search for in the forum section DV-578A)

hometheaterhifi.com (look for the benchmark at the bottom right of the page)

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
The model is the HTS760. it has a 6.1 speaker setup. Whats the difference from the digital link and analog link? and will this new 578A be the right player for my system??

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
The model is the HTS760. it has a 6.1 speaker setup. Whats the difference from the digital link and analog link? and will this new 578A be the right player for my system??

SamP

Auditioning
Mike, the receiver which comes with the Onkyo HT-S760 has 5.1-channel audio input for connecting a SACD or DVD-Audio player. This is analog connection and is the best way to listen to DVD-A/SACD. The only downside is that you will have to spend more money to buy multichannel analog cables. Check the Universal and Hi-Rez (DVD-A and SACD) Player FAQ at ----->
hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162221

For an entry level HTIB, the Pioneer DV-578A universal player should be a good choice. I talked to the Pioneer customer service rep, and was told that the DV-578A is an upgraded model of the old 563A. Incompatibility issues of certain DVD-A titles has been resolved, plus the DV-578A also has a better video DAC (12bit, 108Mhz).

I recently got the Onkyo HT-S770 and leaning towards the Pioneer DV-578A.:emoji_thumbsup:

SamP

Auditioning
Mike, the receiver which comes with the Onkyo HT-S760 has 5.1-channel audio input for connecting a SACD or DVD-Audio player. This is analog connection and is the best way to listen to DVD-A/SACD. The only downside is that you will have to spend more money to buy multichannel analog cables. Check the Universal and Hi-Rez (DVD-A and SACD) Player FAQ at ----->
hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162221

For an entry level HTIB, the Pioneer DV-578A universal player should be a good choice. I talked to the Pioneer customer service rep, and was told that the DV-578A is an upgraded model of the old 563A. Incompatibility issues of certain DVD-A titles has been resolved, plus the DV-578A also has a better video DAC (12bit, 108Mhz).

I recently got the Onkyo HT-S770 and leaning towards the Pioneer DV-578A.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
cool thanks for your help!

does this mean my onkyo won't be able to pick up the DVD audio and SACD audio in 5.1 if I use a digital link or it will just not sound as good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks