What's new

Pioneer DV-578A (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

It doesn't really sound like anything:D

And that's a good thing!

But, assuming that you own a Hi-Rez player with substandard BM (like so many of them!) it will allow to hear hi-rez properly for the first time.

Given that the 563 crossover for DVD-A is 200hz, the inclusion of an ICBM should make a HUGE difference in sound.

Hopefully you have a suitable sub.

BGL

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I stopped by my local BB yesterday. They had the Pioneer DV-563A on clearance for $139.99 with a couple of open box items for $129.99. I asked the BB rep when they would be getting the new Pioneer DVD players. He wasn't sure at first, but said since the 563A was on closeout that they should be getting it soon. He went to check on the store's inventory system after I told him the model number DV-578A-S. The new model was in the system! ;)
The price on the new model will be $149.99. I am not sure if that is the sale price or MSRP, but he said the price will be $149.99 when it comes out. The store will be getting 3 in stock on Monday 6/14/04. :D

Even though Pioneer has a good reputation, I am going to wait until a couple of reviews come out before I buy.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
I have an HK 630 receiver. This new unit might be a very nice match. I am VERY eager to learn more about it, especially for audio purposes...

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer DV-578A is available through Amazon & Crutchfield. I tried to post a link but now you must post 15 times before you can include a weblink! (Yesterday it was 3 times)

I noticed that the DV-578A doesn't have native DTS decoding. However, I am not so sure this matters if your A/V receiver has this feature. It also doesn't have the TruSurround for those who only have a 2 speaker hookup.

Crutchfield, like BestBuy, is closing out last year's model, the DV-563A.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yung:

Thx for using the phrase "native DTS decoding." It succinctly describes something the 563A does that I was just posting about this weekend in the 563A thread. The 563A is the first player I've owned that does native ("onboard") DTS decoding (as opposed to just passing the bitstream via the digital out) and it enables me, with only a 2ch set up, to listen to a downmix of my DTS CDs. I'm disappointed to learn that the 578A does not do this.

How did you learn that the player supposedly does not decode DTS natively? Most spec sheets just say "DTS" but don't give an indication of whether or not the player actually decodes DTS, or just finds the DTS flag and passes that bitstream. I think the difference is reflected in the two different DTS logos I've seen on players: ones that pass the signal undecoded are "DTS Digital Out." Players that can decode DTS onboard--like the 563A--have a "DTS Digital Sound" logo.

EricRWem, thanks for the AVS link.

-p

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

I did a comparison between the two players on Crutchfield's website. While both players are DTS capable, the comparison shows that the 563A has a built in decoder whereas the 578A does not. This leads me to believe that DTS decoding is not native to the 578A. I may be wrong about this since full specifications on the 578A aren't readily available at this time.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The first 578As to hit shelves will prolly have manufacture dates right around the time the 563A firmware upgrade issue came to fore.

Wonder if the 578A will have similar issues/need for firmware upgrade . . . ?

-p

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Here are some specification differences that I see between the two players. These may not be the most important specs, but I thought I would share what I have found.
I got the following information from the product manual for the DV-563A found by registering on the Pioneer Electronics website, the Crutchfield website and Pioneer's japanese website. I don't read the language, but these are what I can tell.

DV-563A DV-578A
S/N Ratio 118 db 115 db
Dynamic Range 108 db 101 db
THD 0.0014% 0.0020%
Dimensions(w x h x d)mm 420W x 55H x 283D 420W x 55H x 243D
Dimensions(WxHxD)in 16.5W x 2.2H x 11.1D 16.5Wx2.2Hx9.6D
Wtg. 2.4 kg (5lbs3oz) 2.1 kg
Power Consumption 14W 10W
Power Consumption-standby .12W 0.07W

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
It seems the European equivalent of the Pioneer DV-578A is the DV-575A-S as the specs appear to be the same. According to the Pioneer's UK website, the DV-575A-S has both a built in Dolby Digital decoder AND a built in DTS decoder.

I can't add the url since I haven't posted often enough yet, but you can just cut and paste below.

pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_detail.jsp?product_id=8533&taxonomy_id=62-84

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I just downloaded the manual for the DV-575A from Pioneer's UK website. In the features section it does say that the player has built-in Dolby Digital and DTS decoding with multi-channel outputs. I am assuming the U.S. version of the player, DV-578A will be the same.

On thing I noticed in comparing the manuals for the DV-575A and DV-563A is that the DV-575A does not have the control in/out mini-jacks on the back of the unit which allows for passing remote control signals to other Pioneer components. The DV-578A also lacks these jacks. This can be seen on the pictures on the Crutchfield website (sadly the website says the DV-563A is no longer available, but it can still be found at CC and various other dealers). The front picture for the DV-578A is really the 563A but the picture of the back is of the new player. It may or may not be that important, but I'm sure it is a nice feature to have for people with other Pio components.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
Basically, the North American market is getting the shaft on these players BIG TIME. I personally like the European models ALOT more.

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
So is there really that much of a quality drop to warrant a purchase of the previous model? Im new to this stuff and this thread is confusing as hell to me.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
For those interested in hi-rez audio bass management (something the 563 sucked with):

The (euro) 575 does allow some time alignment. For SACD, the center and surrounds [distance] can be set from zero to negative (-) three feet relative to the front speakers.

The crossover appears to be fixed. The freq point is not listed in the manual (the 563 had a pitiful 120hz cutoff).

Chuck Mullen

Stunt Coordinator

Why is 120 pitiful? I am looking for a Uni player and I understand an adjustable X-over is ideal, but that is usually a much more expensive unit. If you had your choice Rob, where would you have it cutoff? Should it be higher or lower in your opinion? I know it is a little subjective since not everyone has the same speaker/sub setup, but I want to know what you (and maybe some others?) think.

Thanks

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The "ideal" fixed cutoff is probably 80 hz. You're right that only expensive players (so far) have adjustable xovers. I suspect many players have 100 or 120 hz xovers because many people have sat/sub systems that can't reasonably reach lower frequencies in the sats. I would guess that the "ideal" is based on THX recommendations. For films, this seems to work as the THX recommendation is film based. For music, though, flexible settings are probably much more desirable, as tastes and speaker capabilities vary greatly. This is probably the biggest reason why so many people want a digital link from their hi-res players to their receivers, in order to apply the same BM/TA they apply to films. A few receivers, mine among them, allow you to redigitize the analogue signal from the multichannel inputs and do BM/TA on them. Of course, many would find this undesirable as it applies an additional A/D/A layer, and, "ideally" you'd want to keep that to a minimum. When all my gear is finally assembled in our new house next month, I plan to try all the permutations for myself.

Kurt_G

Grip
I will admit, this is getting pretty darn confusing to me as well.

So as of right now, what's the verdict on this? Which is the better player to buy, the 563A or the 578A?

Maybe I should break that down a little, to help with those who may be looking to purchase this unit for a certain application.

If you're buying one of these units for mostly movie viewing, with occasional dvd-audio/sacd listening, which is the better unit, the 563A or the 578A?

And if you're buying the unit with a 50/50 ratio for movies and dvd-audio/sacd listening, which then would be the better unit, the 563A or the 578A?

I was all set to buy the 578A, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure if it's the better model to buy. In other words, I too am confused, please help. :)

KG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks