What's new

Pioneer DV-563A Review (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
What is wrong with Jurassic Park DTS DVD?
LOL. OMG. I'm having a Fugitive flashback: this topic could be like the prison bus that derails the train (read: thread) . . . and me, BGL, Vince Maskeeper and every other HTFer familiar with this debate is represented by Dr. Kimble . . . running for his life! LOL.

Succinctly, many feel the DTS track on the DTS JP DVD released in October 2000 was flawed. Many stated that there was not only more low end on the Dolby Surround track on the disc, but that the DTS track did not sound like either their recollection of their theatrical experience or the DTS LD (but according to some, the DTS JP LD was mastered incorrectly, with an overcooked LFE and surrounds 3db too hot).

The sturm und drang over the disc's purportedly deficient LFE reached such a level that Universal remastered the DVD and re-released it with different markings/coding around the center ring of the disc for identification purposes.

It is simply not clear (and I've even spoken with Gary Rydstrom directly in person about this) whether the issue was one of hardware (bass management), software (bad/wrong disc mastering) or some hellish combination of both depending on your rig. There are many differing opinions right here on HTF.

ONLY if you have plenty of time and Advil (you've been warned!), check out:

Jurassic Park DTS - Phone Number to call

Can someone tell me how to identify the "corrected" DTS version of Jurassic Park?

And the 21-page big kahuna: how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ?

-p

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
It's either region 1 or all region. I think it's all region. I know it would have to be at least region 1 to play our DVD's over here.

~C.C.~

John Johnston

Auditioning
OK, i ordered this player yesterday from Electronic Expo ($149). And i've been reading this thread like crazy. Still havent gotten through all 500+ posts.
Forgive me if somebody has answered this, but i havent seen a clear answer. My older Pioneer Elite VSX-99 receiver doesnt have 6 analog inputs, so i know i will need to hook it up through the dig. input. I know there's a stereo output on the back of the 563-A, so if i plug those into, say, the CD input of my receiver, will i still be able to enjoy the hi-res SACDs and DVD-As but only in stereo? I am so anxious to hear the quality, but i dont want to waste my money if i go out and get some SACDs.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I know there's a stereo output on the back of the 563-A, so if i plug those into, say, the CD input of my receiver, will i still be able to enjoy the hi-res SACDs and DVD-As but only in stereo?
Correct.

You will need to make sure that the player is set-up for the 2 CH track of SACDs (I Think I read that this is the default).

For DVD-A's, the stereo tracks are selected from the disc's menu.

BGL

John Johnston

Auditioning
Thanks, Brian.
I dont suppose there's any other alternative (Read: cheap) to get the hi-res audio on my receiver? Short of totally upgrading?

BTW, it's nice to be on here again after a several year hiatus.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I dont suppose there's any other alternative (Read: cheap) to get the hi-res audio on my receiver? Short of totally upgrading?
Nothing I can think of. But be aware though that although you re not able to get MC hi-rez, the two channel stuff is still hi-rez. And decoded with PL II or DTS NEO:6 would potentially sound pretty damn good.

And in terms of DVD-A, they all have a DVD-V layer with a DD or DTS track. While not hi-rez, they can sound quite good.

Thats how I started before I got a DVD-A player, with the Bigg Phat Band's Swinging for the Fences. That disc is so ridiculously well recorded that even the DD tracks sound great.

BGL

John Johnston

Auditioning
My first disc will probably be Dark side of the Moon. Havent really gotten into Pink Floyd since high school, but what the hell...
And unfortunately i dont even have DTS. My receiver is old, It even refers to DD as AC-3!

John Johnston

Auditioning
I think they do, but few and far between. There's a lot of classical and jazz, but i dont listen to classical, and while jazz is OK, its not #1 on my list

Sathyan

Second Unit
Modifications now available!

There is someone who thinks the pioneer is worth modding. This is the company that does the electronics side of Michell.

http://cgi.trichord.force9.co.uk/aca...r_DV_565A.html

For the technically minded the Trichord modifications include:

1. Clock 4 master clock replacement

reduced jitter (better time alignment, so better imaging and coherence)

2. Never Connected' Clock power supply

less interference from AC into the signal

3. Audiophile 'Oscon' coupling capacitors

I don't believe this capacitor nonsense, but many audiophiles do, might have something to do with actually getting the rated capacitance

4. High performance 'state of the art' analogue output op-amp replacement

the op-amps that are there have poor linearity and high distortion, they're not really intended for audio use, this is probably the most important mod, it would get rid of that thin grainy sound present in the stock Pioneer

5. Super regulator for DAC chips

this is a bit vague, but I'm sure that it's "super" :)

any thoughts?

Sathyan:

For that price in UK (not to mention the shipping cost), we can get a Denon 2900 Universal player in the U.S. It is hardly worth it. Besides, the AD is referring to Pioneer 565A.

If people can make Pioneer 565A region free, why can't the 563A?

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
I owned the 563A for about two days a while back...I was not happy with it and returned it. I found the picture quality to be grainy in Prog Scan mode, and there would be pixelization on certain discs that would not appear on other players. The sound via digital optical and coax was also lackluster. My main objective was to get a very good prog scan DVD player, the DVD-A/SACD playback was just an added bonus, but the DVD playback was unacceptable, so I returned the player and got a Denon DVD 1600. Much happier now. Better picture and better sound. The added bonus of the Denon is that it is black and it matches the rest of my components.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I own the 563A. I use it on a non-HDTV display so I'm using the 4:3 downconversion and interlaced modes. I've found the picture quality to be better than the Toshiba SD2700 that I was previously using on this tv. In addition, it's played a few DVD-R discs I have that the Toshiba pixellated and locked up on. I've noticed no difference between the audio on the digital coax outputs on either of them. SACD and DVD-Audio sound fine as well. I can't comment on the progressive scan abilities of the player but I'd recommend the player to anyone looking for an entry level universal player.

cheers,

--tom

Tod Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned this player for about four months. Prior to purchasing this player I read every post religiously, and still do.

I have it connected to a RCA Scenium 61" via component and to a Pio 810 with the coax for DD & DTS and the analog for DVD-A and SACD.

I was rather disappointed with the video and thought my JVC 567 had a better picture. But after running a few discs through it the picture has started to come around. So there is some truth to break-in. Also, part of the problem might be that I only calibrated my TV with a calibration disc that I bought at BB. Maybe the AVIA Pro is in order, not. At $400 this is out of my price range.

At this point I only have one SACD and DVD-A and to me the sound is quite good, considering I have a POS Sony sub.

I don't consider my equipment high end so at 149 for a uni player, what the heck. So if you are in the market for a uni player I would recommend this one.

Tod

RCA HD61W140
Pio VSX-810
JBL HLS-610 F & R
Pio 563A
POS Sony Sub and center

mathew

Auditioning
Does anyone have any comments on the quality of PAL to NTSC conversion on the DV-563A? I'm considering getting one, which I'll repair to re-enable full playback functionality for any region, but the quality of PAL playback on NTSC TVs is important to me.

I just got the 563-a about 3 wks ago, and the only problem i've encountered so far was trying to play my Queensryche Empire DVD-audio disk. When i have it set to audio in the menu it does not come up with the menu like it does for my other dvd-a disks. When i switch it to video, there is no option for the high rez suround mix. I have played it on my Kenwood dv-6050 player, and have no problems with it. Has any body else had problems like this?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jason:

[/b]
This sounds right, not like a "problem," even if not consistent with other titles. Different content providers author discs in different ways. My only other Capitol title so far, Crowded House, behaves this way also. The idea being that DVD-V players display the DTS and DD 5.1 backward compat options in the main menu, but not hi rez . . . but DVD-A players do the exact opposite.

(However, having said that, I found that hi rez stereo did indeed playback on a standard DVD-V player I had (a Go- Video unit) on both of these Capitol titles. I left the main menu up and, after 2 minutes, the disc would commence playback from what was obviously not a downmix of the DD. Its kinda akin to newer Warner DVDs automatically starting playback after you linger at the main menu for about a minute or so.)

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks