What's new

Pioneer DV-563A Review (1 Viewer)

Gary DeRoy

Stunt Coordinator

I hadn't noticed this on my 563, so I just played a few DVD-A's. I had my ear right up to the player and didn't get any noise between tracks. It's probably one of those things where some of them do it and others don't. Maybe your's will stop when it gets a few more hours on it.

Most DVD-A's will play after about 30 seconds with no input. The only one of mine that I just tested that didn't do this was Willie Nelson's Night and Day by SurroundedBy. The 563 displayed "MENU" and stayed there until I hit "enter", then it played.

Sathyan

Second Unit
Personally, I have no plans to use this as a DVD player (after all, it is not free-trade-compliant*), but one does need to plug it into a monitor to set it up (great menus for setting this up by the way, and it is essential that you do set it up).

*A player which is not "Free Trade Compliant" is (in other words) crippled by the illegal Region Coding system. And by
"illegal," I mean illegal in Australia. Here in the US, we all know the score (consumers: 0, big business:1)
some report region free: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdhacks.php...ioneer+DV-563A

I haven't tested as I don't have the discs.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't noticed this on my 563, so I just played a few DVD-A's. I had my ear right up to the player and didn't get any noise between tracks.
When I get another disc I'll post whether it was just the particular disc I chose (REM's best of).

David_D

Stunt Coordinator
Do any of you using this player have a TV that locks into "full" mode with a progressive signal? If so, how do you handle that situation? The obvious way is to switch to interlaced, but is there a more convenient way to do it than just doing whatever it takes to make the switch. How about connect SVHS and component, and then use SVHS for non 16:9 enhanced material?

Andre Aguiar

Agent
Been following this player lately. I currently have a Toshiba SD3109. Player is very old. In fact it won't even play CD-R audio cds never mind DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW discs.

How much of an upgrade (as far as VIDEO quality is concerned) would this give me over my old Toshiba. I remember paying $277 for my Toshiba at the time. The fact that this player is a do all player for less is very appealing.

Has anyone tried any DVD-R/RW or +R/RW discs with this player?

Anyone else recommend any other player that atleasts does DVD-A as well as +- R/RW discs?

Norman Short

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just got my 563A today and can say that it did play both DVD-R and DVD+R media when I tried one movie each. I also had to make sure it played the media I have, but it did fine.

I also had the Tosh 3109 for awhile, but upgraded to the Pana RP-91 a year or two ago. It does DVD-Audio and plays DVD-R/+R media. Unfortuately my Panny developed some strange disc recognition problem; it wont recognize movie discs but will recognize copies of them on burnable media. Doesn't recognize DVD-Audio either. At any rate, that led me to consider a new player, and this one seems to fit the bill. First time hearing Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, that made it worthwhile to buy a universal player all by itself.

Andre Aguiar

Agent
My main concern is all this sub par video that the 563 gives. But based on what I have now (3109) is really sub par or will I see a huge improvement? I now have a HDTV and need to upgrade my dvd player and would really like to pick up a universal player like the 563 but if the video quality isn't that great then should I look elsewhere or is it really fair to compare it to the 3109?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call it totally subpar (it does not have the chroma bug, which is a big plus), but if you want a good tied me over (that just so happens to play SACD and DVD-Audio media; not perfectly, but still pretty well) then it's a steal (if you can find it on sale, especially).

Unless something truly strange happens to SACD, DVD-Audio, and the upcoming HD disc formats (or in the case of HD video, disappoint) I don't forsee me buying another DVD player until a true universal audio player/transport comes out with a standardized digital output and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray knocks my socks off.

At least that's the plan.

Dan

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Unless something truly strange happens to SACD, DVD-Audio, and the upcoming HD disc formats (or in the case of HD video, disappoint) I don't forsee me buying another DVD player until a true universal audio player/transport comes out with a standardized digital output and HD-DVD or Blu-Ray knocks my socks off.
The Pioneer 47ai/49TXi combo uses 'iLink', which IIRC is just Firewire under another name, for an all-digital link over one wire. All the bass management and delay management is done digitally by the receiver before conversion to analog. Wish I could afford it!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Just read in another thread that encrypted HDMI is going to be the connection of choice. CES 2004 in Las Vegas could be the first place to see the new offerings of players and receivers and pre-amps that support it could be. If WSR John Kotches' time table is correct, we may see actual product at the end of next year when HDMI v.2 comes out.

The trouble with that Pioneer combo is that it is pretty much proprietary and the receiver converts DSD to PCM right off the bat. It doesn't even leave it alone if you have no bass management turned on. I guess it has no real DSD compatibility within, just PCM. A shame.

Dan

Steve_AS

Second Unit
The trouble with that Pioneer combo is that it is pretty much proprietary and the receiver converts DSD to PCM right off the bat. It doesn't even leave it alone if you have no bass management turned on. I guess it has no real DSD compatibility within, just PCM. A shame.
First, can you point me to documentation for the conversion?

Second, the bitdepth/frequency of the receiver's conversion may be such that any supposed 'degradation' is more suppositional than audible. As regards the utility or lack thereof of ridiculously high 'resolution', please see the posts by Dan Lavry, a noted designer of converters, in this Usenet thread, e.g.

this one

Third,DSD was originally intended as an archiving medium, that is, it was *intended* to be converted to PCM or another format.

Fourth, the implementation details may be proprietary, but Firewire isn't. I'm not sure what aspects of tje Pioneer implementation are proprietary, and to what extent they would hinder implementation of a Firewire
interface by other mfrs.

Fifth, Dave Ranada of Sound & Vision gave it an enthusiastic thumbs-up, sound-wise...and he is more objectivist than not.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
most of the talk has been about the audio qualities...but can anyone comment on the picture quality?

specifcally how well this unit displays on a hi-def rptv?

i'm wondering about the performance of the progressive scan feature.

thx,

ted

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx gary...it looks like you did some critical viewing and had no issues. i'm glad to hear that. i'm pretty sure this baby is gonna be mine....

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
One thing I can't figure out: DD 5.1 works just fine when the 563 is doing the decoding, but DTS doesn't work at all; I only get stereo sound. I've got all 5.1 analog cables hooked up right, and even the optical link (which I don't think I need) The menus are all set correctly, I think (ie, DTS, not DTS > PCM)

Anyone have a similiar problem? Or am I just missing something really obvious here?

Thanks...

Rob

robertLP:

To state the obvious: if you let the 563 doing DTS decoding then you don't need optical/coaxial digital cable; the decoded signals will pass through analog channels. Otherwise, you need the optical/coaxial digital cable to let the receiver doing DTS decoding.

robertLP

Stunt Coordinator
I know; but I had an extra cable lying around so I figured why not... :)

Regardless, whether it's hooked up or not I can't get any DTS decoding to take place....

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Recently my Sony DVP-S560D died again. I had it replaced twice and repaired twice during the 3 years I've had it.

I stumbled across this thread when looking for a player so I bit the bullet and ordered it. It costs a lot more here in Canada, around $280 + tax.

It took 2 weeks to come in, and once it did I hooked it up with ease and had playing a DVD within in minutes. I did run into one issue when I watched the first DVD. It pixelated shortly into the movie. I was upset thinking I had got another lemon. I poped out the DVD and noticed a huge finger print on the disc (shouldn't have lent it out I guess) anyway after whipping it the issue disappeared.

It's been playing great is 100% better than my previous player. I'm impressed by this player... I only wish I had the cash to buy something in the Elite series.

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
robertLP,

Pl. check in Initial settings:

DTS Out is set to DTS
Linear PCM Out set to Down sampling off and most of all
Audio Out put set to: 5.1 channel.

I also have connected all 5.1 channels plus a digital coax.

My pioneer reciever (VSx D511) has this "signa select" button. When I press it to pick the signa automatically, It always picks "analog" and plays 2 channels for DTS discs. So, the 563 seems to send out 2 channel stereo as default. When I force the 511 to 5.1 analog mode, I get the full DTS surround.

However, I'm not happy with the DTS decoding of this player. So, I use the digital out and let my reciever do the decoding and bass management and the results are much better. I do not have a powered sub for the 0.1 LFE (yet), but a passive sub between the mains. So, could not really comment on the 0.1 LFE. But, the bass is directed to the mains and hance the passive sub with the reciever doing the job.

This player rocks for the SACD's DSOTM, Spyro Gyra, David Sanborn, REM (DVD-A), Faith Hill (DVD-A).

I'm glad I got this... I'm not concerned about the picture, this is attached to a 15 year old Sony that does not have S-Video and component. mainly for audio only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks