What's new

Pioneer 711 vs. 811 (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
In comparing the two I notice two real differences.

The 811 does 6.1
The 811 has preamp outs on all channels

I will not be using external amplification.
I will not be using 6.1 (don't have room)

Since I will not be using either of the features that the 811 has to offer over the 711, is it still wise to get the 811? Will there be a difference in sound, or are there other features I am overlooking?

I am currently using a Kenwood VR-507 reciever. As I turn up the volume loud (within around -10 of reference) there is noticable background hiss on all channels. Will a higher quality reciever cut down on this?
I am hoping this Pioneer will have higher quality amps to cut down on distortion and clipping.

TIA
-Mark

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
I'd still take the 811 over the 711. I was in the same boat you were in about a week ago. No plans for external amps, and no room for 6.1, but I decided the 811 had one feature the 711 didn't have: future-proofing. I sure as hell didn't want to spend money for another receiver anytime soon to get all the extra formats, especially considering the 811 is only $100 more. Of course, take this with a grain of salt as I ordered a H/K 320 instead :laugh: .
I imagine any hiss the 711/811 is at very high volumes. I think a couple of owners said they could only hear the hiss at maybe a foot away from the speaker at the volume they listened to. Also, check your speaker wire. I think the main cause in the hiss is crappy wire. Get some Home Depot 12/16 gauge.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help.

I'm using 12 gauge from knukoncepts.com

I had some home depot, but I like this alot more, it is much easier to work with and has a higher strand count: twisting the ends is alot easier on the hands and its more flexable.

Its terminated with gold plated bananas.

The hiss is pretty wierd...

Reference is set at -20 on my reciever

If I am at -28 I can kinda hear the hiss, then when I turn it to -27 it like steps up to another level of hiss, then again at -24 it steps up to an even higher level of hiss. There is a definite and obvious change in the amount of hiss when I change the level just 1 db; and it only happens at certain spots. Strange?

I'd like a reciever that is capable of playing at higher levels cleaner than my current reciever. I have a more than capable sub (DIY Tempest) now I just need to improve the rest of my sound. I have JBL Studio Series speakers.

--Still looking for more opinions--

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Any other help?

Does the 811 have components that would make it better than the 711 even for 5.1 or stereo listening? i.e. a better power supply?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I think they're identical, aside from the full preouts, extra amp, and the 6.1 formats.
you will find that all units that are incremental are identical, apart from a difference or two. for example, i was looking at the 811 originally, and someone told me it was the same as the vsx-41 with a few more wpc. then that one is supposed to be the same as the vsx-43 with something else added. i ended up getting the vsx-45tx because i had some extra money. the next step up is the 47tx, and compared to my spendindg $840 for the 45, the 47 better be a hell of a unit at $1700. anyway, just thought i'd chime in with that. but get the 811 :)
CJ

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the help.

I think I'll just go for the 811 (more bragging rights, eh?)

There is a slim chance that we may be moving, which will allow me to have a theater that will accomidate 6.1 - so might as well go for it anyway right, no regrets?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks