What's new

Pioneer 1014 Wow (1 Viewer)

Jose G

Supporting Actor

The VE's test tones are 30 steps below the maximum level - if you calibrate that tone to 75db of SPL, you will have calibrated your system to playback 105db when given a peak signal.

Avia's test tones are 20 steps below the maximum level, so calibrating to 85db means you have calibrated your system to playback 105db when given a peak signal.

LloydM, for Avia or VE calibration info see this part of the
primer

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Oops! I misread your question, Lloyd. Sorry about that. I don't know nada about MCCAC.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, I haven't had as much time with the 1014 as I thought (not OneCalls fault, FedEx delivered a day early in fact). Had to put up a fence Saturday :frowning: . On first impression, I think I like the sound of the H/K 520 a tad bit better. I'm going to dis-connect the 1014 and put back the 520 for a re-test later this week. I really liked the 520 so I hope I wasn't biased. I will post again next Sunday with the final opinion, and I'll make every effort to be honest. As for the 1014, the first things that stood out are, #1: the tone controls don't work with digital inputs, only analog:confused: !! You can use the "custom" feature of the 4 band EQ (40hz is not adjustable). #2: the remote is not back-lit and the LCD only displays the input selected. Also, NO multi-ch input button on the remote. I actually have to get off the couch and push a button on the panel. otherwise the remote is O.K. #3: so far the up-conversion has been a dis-appointment. Going from an a/v input to component output leaves vertical ghost lines on the screen. I need to look into this more to see if it's correctable. #4: as others have already stated, the auto-calibration came up with some weird results such as setting my Polk RTi6's 4's and CSi5 to large and setting channel levels in the -6 to -9 range. Even though, the sound was not bad. Just strange numbers. Otherwise, good build quality, very nice sound, a ton of features, decent manual and lots of power (though about the same as the 75 wpc 520), means a real good value for $399. I'll report back next week with a more complete review.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Gene, I appreciate you getting back to us with your opinion on these machines. I wanted you to know that I'm listening since I asked in the first place. Thanks!
José

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Jose, I new you were waiting. That's why I went ahead with the review anyway. Though I wish I had spent more time with the 1014.

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
gene c,

I saw similar problems with the video upconversion on the 1014. Vertical lines, dot crawl(especially visible on Xbox, DirecTivo guide), flesh tones being more red, picture being a little darker overall, etc... I did extensive testing with multiple components, cables, inputs, and so on. The problems only existed when upconverting, no problems with s-video in-> s-video out, component video in -> component video out, etc... I returned the first unit for another and, unfortunately, it displayed the same problems as the first. So, I'm back to my search for a new AVR. I'm surprised more people haven't reported these problems.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for the info Heath. I won't throw any money at it buying cables and who knows what. I'm going from a 50 ft coax cable out of a DirectTv Tivo unit into a vcr, out the back with an av cable into the 1014 and out the 1014 thru component cable and into a cheapo Apex 55"er. Guess I shouldn't have expected to much. Not a big deal to me but it would have been nice.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
No problems here going into a Sony KV32hs420. As a matter of fact, I see little to ZERO difference between my Component cables going thru the 1014 or an HDMI cable straight to TV from cable box.

Andy_A

Second Unit
maybe it was mentioned, maybe not, but do we know the crossover frequencies with all speakers set to small? It may be in the manual. I've researched the 814 and found it to be 100Hz on that one. I hope it is not the case with this one.

Also, just a shot in the dark, but is bass mgmt. available on the multi-channel inputs?

Thanks

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
It is adjustable from around 60 to 150HZ IIRC. . . I do know it is adjustable. I think default is 80hz.

Andy_A

Second Unit
great, thanks for the info. I really want to pick one of these up. I looked all over the major 1014 thread but still could not find out if it performs bass mgmt. on the multi-channel inputs. My guess would be that it does not. Can any 1014 users confirm this? Also, do we know if the stereo input can be switched to a direct mode, bypassing all equalization, sub settings, and making the front L and R speakers large? Thanks

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
The 1014 has an adjustable crossover setting of either 50 or 80 or 100 or 120 or 150 or 200Hz. And no, the bass management is not applied to the mulit-channel in--that's up to whatever source you have pugged into it.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
hey,
just noticed on bestbuy.ca that the 1014 is now 599.00. I remeber it being 699.00 just a couple of months ago i think? Or am I wrong? Why would the price be going down?

thanks'
J

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Jarett,

Well, you know, sometimes retailers have these little things called "sales" where they temporarily lower the price of things! ;)

Seriously though, 599CDN is still pretty expensive compared to what our American neighbours can buy it for. That said, it has been on sale (boxing day, customer appreication sale, etc) for $499 cdn at best buy on occasion.

They may have lowered the price to clear them out as the 1015 is supposed to be out, I believe, sometime next month.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Yes, I would suspect this unit is on clearance. OneCall has it for $399 w/ free shipping! I am very tempted to order one and try it out at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks