Pioneer 1014 Wow

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoeyR, Feb 26, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Well after finally getting my system halfway hooked up, center channel(EC35) and both fronts(E30) all I can say is yall were not joking when everyone jumped on the 1014s bandwagon. I threw in Saving Private Ryan(DTS) and I have to say it was simply amazing-and this was with the receiver set at a -41db. Now I cant wait for my SVS sub and my side surrounds to be added.

I might have to add a set of E10s for rear surrounds if this thing can do this much with only 3 speakers

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

i really cant wait to get mine (should be early this week)
    Unfortunatly i'm still looking for the best price on my Floor speakers(Athena AS-F2's) so for right now i might just hook it up with 4 bookshelfs with no center till i get the floor speakers.
    I hope its as good as everyone is making it appear to be.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I ordered mine yesterday from onecall.com, an authorized dealer, for $399 with free 3 day shipping, and no sales tax. I'm moving my H/K 520 back into the room it was purchased for. Feature-wise, it will be an improvement over the H/K. As for sound quality, I'm just hoping for a lateral move. Anything better, and it very well could be, will be a bonus. To me this is a must, not a might![​IMG]

4. JohnCZ

JohnCZ Stunt Coordinator

I got one about 5 months ago. I went from a decent Kenwood 5.1 system to a full 7.1 system with the Pioneer 1014. After everthing was installed, hooked up and used the mic-setup. I played a Star Wars DVD with my wife and kids in the room. I got a really big smile from each of them, which was probably a reflection of my own. Wow!
    I still get the Wow factor even now, with new DVDs.

J

5. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

I recommend you calibrate your system. At -41db you would be -41db below reference at peaks, meaning the loudest your system would get is 64db which would make average levels around 35db which is barely above a whisper.

6. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Joey, definitely calibrate.

gene, please post back here and tell us what you think of the SOUND compared to the HK when you get it hooked up. Do a side by side for us in the same room with the same speakers at the same settings and all that jazz. It's not a lot to ask- is it?:b

7. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Tony, being my first receiver and new to this I did run the MCACC but have not used an spl meter or calibration disk, I admit -41 was low but I was afraid to push it higher. I added the E30 side surrounds I had today and pushed it up to -19 and it was pretty loud for me, Im still waiting on my SVS PB10-ISD to be shipped. Any help you can give me on what you said would be appreciated and I have read through the FAQs

8. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Any help where I can find JVC codes for the remote would be helpful too, I dont see them located under the letter J, when I try to preset my remote

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Well Jose, actually it is allot to ask! But since I love messing with this stuff I'll be glad to do it [​IMG] ! I won't get my hands on it 'till maybe Thu and I'll need a couple of days after that, so I'll get back with the results in this thread say, next Sat or Sun.

10. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I play mine at -20 . . . plenty loud on most DVDs. . . Using the receiver's automatic setup came out at 75dB each channel. If "0" is reference then thats way too loud for me. Sometimes I might run at -15 for DVDs that are not as loud as others. . . My LOTR discs are all "Hot" and -20 is almost too loud. . .

11. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Damn, any louder then -32 or so and my wife yells @ me :)
    I do live in an Apt tho :)

12. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

-20 tends to be the level that I find comfortable, but this is with AS-F2s and they are quite efficient.

Brent

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Im not trying to steal this thread, but I am confused as to Tonys comment

If I listen to mine at -15 or -20 does that mean I calibrated wrong at 0 db? Wouldnt you have to crank up all the individual SPL levels anyway? Since the master volume would be lower.

14. Guy Usher

The receiver automaticaly calibrates it at "0"dB. . . Watch the volume level when it does it's thing. . . Then when you "Fine Tune" it you should find that it will be at 75dB or so.

15. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

It simply means you're listening at 15 to 20 db below reference. Listen at the levels that are comfortable for you. At -41 though, 1/2 the movie would be lost in the background noise of your living room.

16. LloydM

LloydM Agent

I found that the calibration with the MCCAC was hotter than when I used the AVIA disc. I am not sure the reason, but I am able to comfortably watch DVD's at -15/-10 with the AVIA calibration. With the MCCAC I was watching dvd's around -25/-20.

17. Robert Lovejoy

Robert Lovejoy Stunt Coordinator

One thing the MCACC does that's not covered by Avia is the individual speaker EQ, which covers five (I think) bands. The EQ will flatten out differences caused by room acoustics or speaker characteristics and that might account for the "hotter" result.

JoeyR, I'm running JBLs with an SVS 20-39PC+. You are really in for a treat! Also, go for the 7.1 setup - it really adds a lot over 5.1.

18. Guy Usher

I think AVIA calls for a 85 or 88dB tone for calibration rather than the 70 or 75dB tone used by VE and others.

Using AVIA you are setting your receiver "Hotter"

19. LloydM

LloydM Agent

So, what is the best way to 'tune' the setup? AVIA or MCCAC?

20. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I just got my 1014.. i used the MCCAC.. i am pretty new to the whole home audio stuff. I am not a big fan of how it adjusted all the volume to all my speakers. After it was finished i just readjusted the volume to each speaker and i like my setup better than the MCCAC gave me.
    This receiver has so many damn buttons and options it makes my head spin.