What's new

Pioneer 1014 vs HK 525 (1 Viewer)

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I can get the Pioneer for 350 and the HK for 380. I have the 525 right now. Anyone compared these two recievers? My main questions are how is the Sound Quality of each, and do you think I will have any problems with one or them in the future? I could get the Circuit City 5 year protection plan which would be an extra $80 for the HK.

James Phung

Second Unit
I can't comment on the SQ of the HK vs the 1014. However, the 1014 is much better than the HK featurewise. I have the 1014 and it is great. You can also get the 1014 from best buy for $400-450 and add on a 4 year service plan for $35.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I had the H/K AVR-7200. I now have the Pioneer Elite 54TX. As James indicated, the Pioneer 1014 will have more features. In regards to sound differences, you'd have to hear them side-by-side to determine what you like/hate about either one.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
James Phung:

Does the Pioneer 1014 have Zone 2 features? I'm looking at getting the 1015 at or just after its April 2005 release but could find no information about Zone 2 options. Except for Zone 2, it bests my Denon 3803 at half the price.

James Phung

Second Unit
Wesley,
The 1014 can power a 2nd zone with the same source as the main room. It can not do multisource. You can have 5.1 in the main room and use the rear surround output as zone 2. In the receiver set up, you can set the rear surrounds as normal (6th and 7th channels), bi-amp (to bi-amp the fronts), or 2nd zone (to send to second zone). The Pioneer Elite 52tx is the same as the 1014 except that it can do multisource zone 2, has a gloss finish, and 2 year warranty. Hope that helps.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 1014, and really appreciate its versatility, especially the automatic system calibration. I believe this feature alone will make any system sound better.

Comparing the H-K to the Pioneer for sound quality if done properly would be ineresting. I predict that if you were able to conduct a true A/B test, you would hear no difference between the two. I also predict that a dealer will not do this for you. If not immediate-switched A/B comparison with the same speakers and program source, results are subjective, not objective, and you will think you hear differences that don't exist.

Most all current model receivers use virtually identical circuitry, including the output components. Differnces between brands are in features offered, which, along with price, is the way you should pick your receiver.

Good Luck

jinW

Grip
Dick Boneske,
just curious, I heard a lot people talking about warmth of HK receivers. As you said "Most all current model receivers use virtually identical circuitry, including the output components" there should be almost no difference in the sound between different brands. Actually I compared HK 325 and YAMAHA 5760 and did not hear much difference.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think tomorrow I am going to see if I can pick up one of those pioneer recievers. I will also be returning the Harman Kardon, there were a couple things that wern't working quite right on it any ways. Then I will test out the Pioneer and if it's the one I want I will keep it otherwise I will wait to see when the HK will be fixed.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
well I picked up the Pioneer 1014 today, and got it hooked up and have started to test it out. So far it sounds a good bit brighter than the HK. There are some things that I like over the HK such as no audio drop out, doesn't run as hot, and the sound has more of an impact. But there are some things that so far that I don't like all that much, like what needs to be done when switching different sources. I am not really sure if I like this new sound compaired with the HK. But with the switching and sound I am going to have to continue to look at and test out. Maybe I will get used to the different sound, and maybe I am just not switching the stuff correctly.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

With the excellent EQ on the 1014, you can drop some of the higher frequencies down a bit to make it less bright sounding.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have been playing around with it some more, I ran the AUTO MCACC again tried it out again and it was still very bright. So I copied the eq freq into the custom1 setting, and tried turning down the highest freq(13.3khz or something like that) to -3, -5, -6 and finally setting it at -5.5. It's much easier to listen too. Now I really wish I had a DB meeter so I could see what the freq response is like.

Is there a way to switch to the 5.1 channel input on the remote?

I still got 29 days before I can return it so maybe in that time I can get it setup so it sounds just how I want it to. Also I was thinking about checking out some of the new harman kardons the 35 series. See if they don't have the issues that I had with the 525.

Users who are viewing this thread