What's new

pioneer 1014 craped out (1 Viewer)

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator

Mike, I hear ya!

I liked my 1014 so much that when it fried, and Best Buy offered me a Yammie equivalent (5790?), cause they didn't have the Pioneer 1015 in stock, I just said, "ship one in, I'll wait."

Now I have the 1015.. I don't care fore the new blue power light as much as I liked the matching amber, but it's no big deal. I'm driving a Klipsch Synergy F3 5.1 system with 12 inch sub (I know... lo-fi compared to some systems in here, but it was in my budget.) ..and the Pioneer does and fine job driving all these speakers. (pretty efficient speakers anyway)I took advantage of the bi-amp capability the other day and now have the big F-3s bi-amped using the two unused surround amps. Not true purist bi-amping, but it actually makes for a slight improvement in the sound as volume increases (I think, maybe just my imagination... but it was fun doing it! LOL!!)

Gotta love this low end cost higher-end performance receiver.. and oh, did I mention MCACC!

rock-on!!

Russ W

Auditioning
Leave to a newbie to whip the proverbial dead horse ...

I picked up a 1014 back in November and it is in the shop for the 3rd time with a case of MBS (MCACC Blinky Syndrome).
Familiar scenario ... attached to Monster surge protector ... no obvious surge (like lightning) conditions ... no other hardware breakage .... apparent simple power shutdown ... the latest due to a rolling blackout thanks to Rita.

The first Pioneer rep I chatted with refused any acknowledgement of an issue on the phone today ..... after a second call back after viewing this thread I talked to a more receptive rep who seemed more willing to escalate my issue .....

MANY thanks for those who took time to post especially the reset sequence......... it may make it survivable...... as it is something I can teach my wife to do .......;)

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Mine took a hit with Katrina and then with Rita it had power blips for 3 hours about every 20 minutes, but for the sake of the forum as soon as the power would come back on I fired the XBOX right back up, so at least 7 power blips and its still working fine.

EvanW

Stunt Coordinator
hhmmm, well im back from a long absence i sure wish i knew that it only took 2 buttons to fix that thing, woulda saved me alot of anquish, o well, not been on lately because of my ventures into care audio and trying to starts a very small business in the area i also took up playing guitar a while back but my home theat is still my pride and joy though besides minor things the only things that have been added since i last was on was my upgrade to my yamaha NS-777's from the 555's a samsung slim fit tube that handles 1080i cant think of the long model number and a velodyne DPS-10 which has been excilent besides those upgrades and some moving around and a few renovations my stuff is the same and im glad to see there is a reset feature and thankful that someone posted it because my father still has the 1014 and we have just been lucky it hasnt died since bestbuy replaced the first one.

DjDooley

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Thanks to David Giles for the reset code. My 1014 did the same thing as everybody else's did. It crapped out after a momentary power loss. MCACC light was flashing; power button was useless. Holding down the ENTER button simultainiously with the VIDEO 2 button for 2 seconds reset the machine and I am back to watching movies with great sound and all the functionality that I purchased with this receiver. Sure seems that Pioneer has a public relations issue with this problem. I hope they are reading this thread to see all the frustration that we have had.

FM_PLAYER

Auditioning
Real Name
FRANK
My brother's 1014TX just died a week ago, and as far as I know there weren't any power surges or brownouts, nothing even gave a hint of an interruption or glitch of any kind.

It was turned off, and the next morning it just would not turn on, nothing, not even a standby light, or the blinking MCACC. It's like the darn thing "died in it's sleep". Of course the warranty is expired, as he probably got some of the first 1014tx's to come out, paid like nearly a grand for the thing, now it's a big dead black brick. In the 2 years he's had the thing he/we never had the volume too high for too long, and certainly not during it's "last night" where it was idle (not even warm), turned off overnight and next morning was like a 7.1 channel boat anchor! Thought I'd try that MCACC reset code, and nothin happened.

We are wondering should we take it to a service center for a $40-$50 estimate, just to find out what they think is wrong with it, or just buy another unit (pioneer again, just like this one, but the current equivalent model, slightly better with HDMI inputs for $599).

Since the warranty was up anyway, I looked inside it (unplugged of course) and probed with my DMM for blown fuses, every one that I could find seems to be intact!

Then (with it plugged in) I tried to get it to turn on by using the DMM on "diode test" to trigger a tiny surface mount transistor and the relay, on the first board the AC line voltage is on (the board that has the 10 amp fuse on it)

All that happened was that it turned on the power to the switched outlet on the back of the unit, and put power to the primary winding of that enormous transformer. Beyond that, nothing, no fuses went, not even a blink from the front panel. It seemed to draw power for a very brief moment (all it was doing though was charging the large electrolytic capacitors when I triggered the relay)

There is low voltage DC present at least so it's not *completely* dead (otherwise biasing that transistor would not have turned on the relay for the switched outlet/ main transformer primary), but it seems that the "control logic" is missing in action. Primary supply is intact, but there's nothing else happening. Without a service manual for this beast I dare not mess with it anymore than I already have.

Whatever happened seems to have made the "control logic" become disabled (even before I looked inside this thing) Now has anybody else has the cpu in this model just up and die, or is there a hidden shutdown mechanism that "kills" the front panel on purpose to prevent any attempts to power up?)

I wouldnt have even gone in there in the first place, if it weren't for the already expired warranty. If we do end up taking it to a repair shop I'd probably leave out the part about manually tripping that relay.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Lost power today, first time flashing MCACC, used the reset and it started right back up

TGZN

Auditioning
Real Name
Teddy Govender
Hello everybody,

I would like some help in my quest of having a good home theatre, i have purchased AM 15 Bose, and planning to buy the following RX -V3800 receiver - two tower speakers NS777. Am I doing the correct combination.

Regards
Teddy

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Does this code actually disable protection forever on the unit? In my case the unit turns off during usage but I have had the power go out on it, dont remember the flashing MCACC. I unplug it and plug it back in and it comes right back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks