What's new

Pio DV-563A firmware fix (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Cameron: It seems to vary by situation/dealer but, IF you are being charged for something by anyone, IIRC it seems to most often be by Pio to return your unit to you if you choose to get the firmware upgrade by shipping the unit to them.

I'm not so sure you should have to be paying anything if, for instance, you walk your player in to an authorized service center to have a Pio-documented issue (namely the firmware upgrade) taken care of.

For instance, Jerry K., it sounds like you did not have to pay for anything?

-p

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Man, that blows. $37.50 is not much in terms of what we all spend on this hobby, but it is about 20% of what a lot of folks paid for these players. And on principle, you would think they would toss you a bone.

And if you didn't know about places like the HTF, you may not stumble across a problem title until well past the warranty.

I would probably become a big PITA with Pioneer over this one.

BGL

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I'll probably go ahead an email or call Pioneer and get some clarification on the issue. It's not a big issue as I just added a couple things to improve performance (an ICBM and BFD) and would like some time to enjoy it. I was hoping to enjoy the Crystal Method on DVD-A, but it was not meant to be. Fortunately the DTS track works.

Weird thing about the lack of DVD-A playback is not only is there no audio output, the tracks jump ahead after 12 seconds, like it's sampling each track.

BTW, the Crystal Method is a Universal Music artist.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

I may be missing something...how did you have distortion in the center channel when you were only playing 2-ch material? I'm not being rude, just genuinely curious.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Why can't Pioneer just make the disc available direct to consumers either by mail or by download? I'm not so incompetent that I couldn't flash the firmware on a DVD player.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I did not have to pay single cent.
My shop filled in a electronic service work-order with the serial number.
This is sent directly to Pioneer on the spot as a warranty
service fix. No cost to you if done local and the shop still gets paid for their time.
The CD came with instructions for the the repair center on how to proceed and invoice Pioneer.
If your shop wants to charge, maybe it is time to find a new
repair center as they are either incompetent "can't read"
or they are looking at you as a fool that will pay.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Pioneer responded to my email and I'm supposed to call them with my serial number.

Thanks for the info.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Each service center wants a minimum of 2 days with my player, and I don't want to part with it. Has anyone seen the flash as a downloadable ISO?

gregD

Second Unit

I'd bet on 'incompetent'... it seems Pioneer (and others) awards 'authorized' service status to the low bidder -- in my case a little neighborhood repair shop with a large language barrier.

And they doggedly withhold a crummy little FW fix disc... probably so some precious little code doesn't get hacked, I suppose... ???

I'll probably forget the hi-res-for-$150 dream and move up to a better player before I bother with this little fix.

That Yamaha S1500 is lookin' good...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I looked up my sales receipt and it looks like I'm actually still under warranty (just barely though). Called Pioneer and just got a reiteration of what I already knew, so I guess I'll bring the thing in sometime next week.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Cameron: Perfect time for you to ask/confirm with Pio how this would be handled (differently??) had your player not been under warranty if you don't mind . . . -p

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I called back and in general terms if the player needs service for a bug then the warranty is three years from manufacture date. I don't think there is any debate about whether this is a bug issue.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for that. I took my player in a couple days ago and should have it sometime this coming week.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
so if i don't really care about the incompatibility issue with some hi-res cd's, (i'm mostly only using this one for movies) is it still worth taking in for the firmware fix?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, you never know what's going to come up. I didn't really care until I bought a DVD-A that wouldn't play properly. And with the three year warranty I suppose you could just wait until the need presents itself.

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone get "Neil Young - Greendale" to play in their "firmware fixed" DV-563A? The newer model DV-578A will not play this disc.... and I just tried a newer model manufactured in July 2004 with firmware 1.44. Time to switch brands, as I've been through 4 DV-578's now (2 of them had other problems besides not being able to play "Greendale").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks