What's new

Pink Floyd's 'Animals' SACD (3 Viewers)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

No. I'm making light of the fact that many media outlets reported a DVDA was in the works but it has yet to come out.

There are some good video materials that would be great on a DVDA. The DSOTM making of documentary is superb.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
He has a report that 5.1 mixes are being done. Since EMI is going to be announcing DVD-A releases in the next month care of DTS via their "Signature Line" I would bet that these will probably be DVD-As before SA-CDs.

It has been pretty well reported that the big reason we saw DSOTM on SA-CD rather then DVD-A was because of the misinformation about DVD-A having a digital brickwall filter at 80Khz, which was completely false. Ironic that they heard this since most SA-CD players have a brickwall at 50Khz due to the high noise floor and the potential damage to amplifiers or speakers from the noise. Since this misinformation was corrected it is quite likely that we'll see Pink Floyd in DVD-A with EMI's release plans.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

No. DSOTM came out on SACD in part because Guthrie wanted them this way. I never read anything about the 80K PCM problem at the time of the release...do you have a source for this? This comment does not make sense to me. Guthrie would have not cared about such extreme high frequency as an pop/rock engineer.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Guthrie hates PCM so much that he mixed the 5.1 mix of DSotM in 24/96 PCM. :rolleyes

If DSD is a truly transparent format, all of the 'limitations' of 24/96 PCM will carry over to the SACD release. Yet nobody even noticed (by ear) that this release was PCM sourced. Nobody.

Anybody with common sense knows that DSotM was switched from DVD-A to SACD due to SonyBucks(tm). Any talk that came after is political posturing.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
The source just said that they have those masters in for mixing, then EVERY source made the comment that we will probably be seeing this on SA-CD soon since the first one was on SA-CD.

Because he was told misinformation about DVD-A. Show me something that says otherwise.

Here is a nice sample of what I was referring to and the misinformation that even Guthrie commented on:

DSOTM

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Oh and by the way, I would love to hear any of Pink Floyd's stuff on either format in multi-channel. My comments pertain only to EMI's forthcoming DVD-A releases and the fact that DTS confirmed that they would be announced in the next month. Whether or not the Pink Floyd releases will be part of this, I have no idea, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Given that Matt's source is saying they are on Super Audio, I doubt we will see a DVDA. We still have not seen one for Dark Side of the Moon.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Matt's source didn't say anything about SA-CD if you read his comments, MATT inferred that we are going to probably see SA-CD releases.

If you read the link I gave you you'll see that it was not just Bob Stuart who commented on the issue, he was the last one and was used to verify the tech specs. Most of the comments before were from people who have been actually mastering in DVD-A.

I realize that most cannot hear at that spectrum of noise, but if Guthrie's comments dealt specifically with high frequency response (which they did) then it is completely valid.

As opposed to what? PCM? I imagine both have very little in the way of jitter, but that doesn't mean that Bob was false in his statements.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
At this moment, the DVD-A of the new Bjork album is outselling the SACD at Amazon UK.

There is obviously a market for both. The most consumer-friendly thing for EMI/Floyd to do is to offer these albums in both formats.

Of course, politics and money may result in something else.

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Releasing in both would be cool. Again, I don't really care which format they release in as long as it sounds good!! That is the beauty of universal transports. My comments were only geared to the pending EMI announcement for their upcoming DVD-A's that were mastered by DTS for them. I believe they are calling them the "DTS Signature Series" or something along those lines. DTS said they cannot say what titles are going to be released until EMI announces it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Jitter is generally less in DSD than normal PCM and can be low in hirez PCM if implemented properly. Jitter accounts for a good portion of sonic problems in digital audio. In my tests on jitter using master clock devices, subjects can hear reducing jitter from 200 picoseconds to 40 picoseconds. It shows up in imaging and midrange quality on acoustic ensembles and classical performances.

I'm interested in what EMI releases in DTS but most DTS discs are not very good sonically IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks