What's new

Pink Floyd Remasters (including high-res Blu-ray Audio AND WYWH on SACD) - FINALLY! (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
From the Rolling Stone article:

Gilmour and Waters, in particular, have fought bitterly over the years, preventing, with the notable exception of a Live 8 appearance in 2005, any reunion that includes both men.
. . .
So, any chance of any Pink Floyd performances in the future involving all three surviving members? "There are absolutely no plans," [Mason] said immediately. "But Live 8 was fantastic. We did something for other people, but we also proved that we could all work together again. I'm really pleased that my children saw that. I would have thought that could be regenerated at some time. So I live in hope – but that's no reason to put it out on Twitter that 'Nick Says Band to Re-form!'"
Nice timing on that -- Gilmour, Waters, and Mason performed together just last night!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The price on the immersion sets means I'll be passing on these. The DVD's and Blurays repeat material, so I don;t see the point of paying that price for duplicate content. So I think I'm going to pass on all this!

Still a great release for the fans, so I'm not knocking it. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Sam do you have me on ignore?

Oh wait, if you do you won't see me asking if you do

head imploding....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Sam Posten
Nope, that's not it! I never ignore people! Forum acting funky I guess....
Hah. this forum acting funky. umpossible.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Russell G
The price on the immersion sets means I'll be passing on these. The DVD's and Blurays repeat material, so I don;t see the point of paying that price for duplicate content. So I think I'm going to pass on all this!

Still a great release for the fans, so I'm not knocking it. :)

I agree on the Immersion sets. The more I look at them the less included I am to get them. In addtition to the repeat material you mentioned, I already have the 2003 DSotM SACD (and will be getting the WYWH SACD). Will the high-res BD audio (using the same mixes) be any better?? Almost certainly not to my hearing. Plus, a lot of the bonus content is live material. To me, Floyd is primarily a studio band. I alredy have all the live Floyd I need with "Pulse" (which includes a complete live DSotM) and "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (which, truth be told, I haven't listened to in years). That leaves some demos & outtakes, which I would be interested in hearing, but not at $120 a pop. Should be able to satisfy my curiosity on those by picking up the Experience sets for WYWH and "The Wall", which even with the duplicate albums will be a LOT less money.

Finally, there's definitely a "Big Box O' Junk" feel to these. In addition to the obligatory picture book and (useless) replicas of tickets and backstage passes, each of the boxes contains logo'd marbles (?), coasters (??), and a scarf (???). WTF do these items have to do with anything? Ya know, if you're going to put out boxes of this physical size and exorbitant cost, at least put something relevant in there, like say, the remastered vinyl. Just sayin'...

I'm defintely getting the Discover box, however. I never got any of the pre-"Meddle" albums on CD, and, outside of the 2003 DSotM SACD, all of my PF CDs are the original releases from the mid-to-late 80s. Assuming they don't hose up the remastering, this box will be a welcome refresh of my Floyd collection. I think I'd still buy it at the $200 price; the $147 I pre-orderd it at (assuming Amazon honors that price, which I expect them to) is a bargain.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Plus, a lot of the bonus content is live material. To me, Floyd is primarily a studio band."

Craig,

Yeah, this is how I regard Pink Floyd as well. I have the live Dark Side Of the Moon album (LP), and although the studio version is my all-time favorite non-Beatle album, the live version was to me a major disappointment. That being said, I don't hold Floyd completely responsible for this. Some music is not really conducive to live performance (just ask the Beatles ca. 1966).

The Discover box (which BTW I don't necessarily believe is only for the 'casual' fan) does look promising. I too am pleased that I locked in at the pre-order price. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah, I don't know, it's not even the box of junk aspect. for instance, I am getting the Ozzy Osbourne Diary Of A Madman boxset. It's similar to the immersion sets to a degree, but looks like better value. you get:

The Deluxe Package, Housed in a Collector's Case, includes:

• Blizzard Of Ozz (30th Anniversary Expanded Edition CD)

• Diary Of A Madman (Legacy Edition 2-CD Set)

• Blizzard Of Ozz (180-gram LP Vinyl – original album only)

• Diary Of A Madman (180-gram LP Vinyl – original album only)

• "Thirty Years After The Blizzard" DVD Documentary, plus over 70 mins of additional rare live performances and interviews

• 100 Page Expansive Coffee Table Book

• Detailed Replica of Ozzy's Iconic Cross

• 2 Sided Poster (re-prints of orginal promotional posters)

I see myself listening and playing all that music. the vinyl for the original experience, the CD's for all the bonus stuff, the DVD for the live footage. With these Floyd sets, I'd be paying for basically just the Bluray since it has pretty much all the music from the CDs and DVDs on it tht I would be mostly listening to. The way it reads on Amazon anyways. so $110 for a bluray and stuff is a bit much (amazon.ca is $110 on the immersion sets as I type this.) Again, if I was more of a fan I might bite, or if the video was actually full concerts from the period (it looks like clips and the movies they show during the concerts which seem like bonuses to a concert film that's not included in the set). Even as a bit of a fan, I'm still a little tempted to bite on Dark Side Of the Moon and The Wall since I never did buy them on CD ha ha.

Plus- with the Ozzy boxset you get a cross necklace to walk around with like a asshole instead of a corny scarf

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I just want more albums remixed in multichannel. I already have the SACD of Dark Side and I have all I want of that great album.*

I want "Animals", "The Wall", "Meddle", "The Final Cut" on multichannel but I don't want to have to spend a fortune. Like with the Dark Side SACD. A couple more albums would be nice also.

* I also have the DVD-A of the original Parsons mix (not legit), two copies on vinyl, and the original Japan CD.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I went to Amazon.com this morning, and in my cart (as a pre-order) sat the Discovery collection. The price has now jumped from $147 to $208! So much for having the price be locked in. I'm taking it out of my cart. I wonder if Amazon is alerted when customers empty their carts of pre-ordered items? It might be good for them to see this from a substantial number of customers, although I don't think it would really change anything.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ockeghem said:
I went to Amazon.com this morning, and in my cart (as a pre-order) sat the Discovery collection. The price has now jumped from $147 to $208! So much for having the price be locked in. I'm taking it out of my cart. I wonder if Amazon is alerted when customers empty their carts of pre-ordered items? It might be good for them to see this from a substantial number of customers, although I don't think it would really change anything.
Putting it in your cart doesnt lock in anything. Ou actually have to order it.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Tony,

Okay, thanks. That makes sense. I haven't used the pre-order function very often.

I don't know if I'll pick this up now, though. Probably not.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Since I bought all most of my Floyd during my college years, my older CD pressings are scratched all to hell which bugs an anal-retentive audio guy like me. That being said, I'm looking forward to getting nice shiny new copies of the older material in remastered form. I'm also not worried about any compression...I suspect PF would not leave this task up to anyone, so I expect the same treatment with their audio legacy as The Beatles received. Aside from that I'm looking forward to hearing the "Big Three" albums in all of their multi-channel glory (presuming of course "The Wall" gets the same MC treatment in the future). While I do own the SACD of DSOTM, I only have my Oppo Blu-ray player running in in 2-channel stereo via analog so I have yet to hear it in surround. Plus, it will just be nice to have on Blu-ray and should prove to the industry that we want future material on Blu-ray AUDIO.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I'm mildly interested in remastered Meddle and Wish You Were Here, but I can't imagine adding yet another format of DSOTM to my collection. The demos and outtakes are what interest me most, because I love to hear early incarnations of songs and how different they ended up when finally recorded for album release. But I'm not paying that much money to get those, another copy of albums I already have on multiple formats, and a bunch of repro non-collectible junk.

No intent to thread fart here, but I find this whole multi-level packaging extravaganza a bit disappointing....I'd much prefer a Thank You For Being A Fan Over the Past 35 Years And Buying Almost Every Vinyl, 8-Track, Cassette, Quad Stereo Vinyl, MFSL, CD, and Remastered CD Edition of Your Music You've Ever Released Over the Past 35 Years So Here's Your Rarities and Other Music You've Never Heard Before In One Small But Reasonably Priced Package Edition.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm a huge Floyd fan, but I think the only way I'm buying these all these albums again is in multichannel. So I will be getting WYWH for sure, DSOTM, I already have the SACD (although if there is a DVD-Audio version in the package, I might bite so I can have a multichannel version to listen to in my cars.) The outtakes and live material could be cool, but if you have the "Total Eclipse" and "Tree Full of Secrets" packages that are floating around, I'm betting alot of this stuff will not be new (Like the Beatles Anthology, supposedly that stuff had been bootlegged for years until they decided to officially release it).

On a side note, I love how Roger likes to come off as an anti-capitalism guy, but there doesn't seem to be any protest to the idea of spending in like $200 on an album and some, mostly worthless swag.

jim1987

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim Anderson
Its a great collection buddy.Pink flyod is really a great band and they are legend for sure.You collection is really impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks