Pink Floyd is the Best.

Discussion in 'Music' started by MarcianoD, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Daniel J.S.

Daniel J.S. Stunt Coordinator

Well, Waters was all for "The Final Cut" being a solo album, but in Waters words, Gilmour and Mason knew "songs don't grow on trees. They wanted this to be a Floyd record." And yes, I feel the Gilmour albums were fake Floyd; those records have dozens of session musicians and song doctors on them, not to mention that Mason barely played on AMLOR, yet this was still supposed to be Pink Floyd? Funny how in the old days with Waters, they played most everything themselves, but once Gilmour needed to prove they were still Floyd, in came the legions of hired help.

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

3. Daniel J.S.

I consider "The Final Cut" a Waters album in all but name (of course IMO, his solo albums wipe the floor with the Gilmour Floyd albums). To get really technical, "Animals" was the last true Floyd album (before Waters left); only Gilmour and Waters are present throughout the entirety of "The Wall" as Wright had beed ousted and Mason only sporadically played on the record. However, since all four played it at the live shows, I'll accept it as a Floyd work rather than a Waters/Gilmour album.

When I complain about studio musicians, I refer to the ones who are doing the instruments that the band normally plays, not the string players and whatnot (I have to assume that there aren't a lot of phantom session players on the classic records). On AMLOR and TDB, I see that almost a dozen guitarists, bassists, drummers, keyboardists were used and I wonder how this can still be Pink Floyd. Those records are listenable at best, but it just strikes me as so much cashing in on the brand name. Anyway, Waters won the war in the end; Floyd is pretty much dead while his last tour was playing to sold out arenas. I wonder how Gilmour felt about that.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5. Daniel J.S.

^^^Oh, I think both are still petty enough to care, especially Waters, given how long he tends to hold a grudge. What offended Waters the most when Floyd toured was that they played songs from "The Wall", which was in part an attack on stadium rock, in huge stadiums. He saw that as a betrayal of one of the things the album stood for (of course Waters himself ignored his message when he did the show in Berlin, but I'll forgive it since it was for charity).

6. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

Daniel J. S.,

You are clearly mistaken about "The Division Bell" and "AMLOR" having dozens of session musicians. AMLOR was 99.99 percent David Jon Gilmour. Even Jon Carin, said this as well. There are a few great songs on AMLOR and one amazing tune (Sorrow---especially on PULSE) and TDB didn't have very many session musicians at all. As a matter of fact, you can email the webmaster at www.pinkfloyd-co.com and ask them if you'd like, considering they have had a relationship with one of the members for 30 plus years.

The Division Bell is really a great album. "Cluster One", "Marooned", "Wearing The Inside Out" and "High Hopes" are some of the best Pink Floyd songs ever.

As far as people doubting DG's lyrical ability, yes, he isn't close to the greatness that is Roger Waters. But, the lyrics on The Division Bell, excluding one song, are all his. His wife, Polly Samson, was credited for revenue purposes and only helped David with a word here and there when he was stuck. This is from an extremely solid source.

Good day.

7. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

[I hope you all aren't Yes fans, the semantics would be absolutely ridiculous.]

ROTFLMAO

8. Daniel J.S.

I'm only going by what the credits in the liner notes say, and they have a noteworthy list of additional players. If they didn't play, did Gilmour credit them just for hanging around Brittania Row? And I beg to differ about TDB having some of their best work ever; some of it is listenable, enjoyable even, but it all sounds like a tired rehash of the classic albums. AMLOR at least has some things that the Floyd hadn't really done before, even if I find that set pretty toothless overall. As for the lyrics, I haven't looked at TDB's lyric sheet in a while, but I remember them being an improvement over the spectacular banality of "About Face" (although I thought "Cruise" has a really good lyric). I don't find them anything to brag about however.

9. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

Going by the credits isn't accurate in this case. A lot of people were given credit for very, very little input on a song; pretty much the exact opposite of Roger Waters. I can't believe David Gilmour didn't get a credit for ABITW, Money, and Sheep. Hell, David wrote %40 percent of Sheep!

AMLOR was 99.99% David Gilmour. Go talk to Joe and Sandy at Pink Floyd Co..

www.pinkfloyd-co.com

10. Daniel J.S.

It always seemed to me like writing credits on Floyd songs were done the same way Led Zeppelin did them: whoever brought in the main ideas for the song (riffs, melody, chord changes, etc.) got the credit even if the rest of the band worked on it afterwards. That's why Waters got full credit on ABITW Part II: it was part of the demo Waters brought to the group. I'm guessing that for someone else to get a co-credit, an idea they came up with on their own was incorporated into the song.

11. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Like I said before I like the Division Bell, A Momentary Lapse of Reason and I also like The Final Cut.
    I guess I would support the Idea that The Final Cut was Essentially a Roger Waters Solo album in all but name but I also believe the former are David Gilmour records.
    I think what it comes down to for me is that Pink Floyd was a unit like Led Zeppelin. The whole was greater than the sum of all the parts and if you remove one of the parts what's left is broken. It's not bad but it isn't complete and to pretend it is complete is being less than honest.

12. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

michael_mo

haha I am a Yes fan (or was ABWH.. or Asia) [​IMG]

ROFLMAO!!

mind you Deep Purple had at least as many (if not more lineup changes)

13. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

14. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

15. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter