What's new

PILLOW TALK problems: Framing, freezing, etc. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, me too. This 2004 variant is leaving the shelf asap. :frowning:

The big question I keep asking myself (re. matters like this mis-framing problem Universal apparently keeps having) is ..... What is so darned difficult about making sure the DVD gets the proper OAR transfer? Is this rocket science here? Universal managed to get it right in 1999 with its initial release of Pillow Talk. Why wouldn't they use the '99 print as a blueprint for the correct dimensions in 2004??

I'm stumped by this idiocy.

:angry:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Since I am at work now, the ones I can remember are the three title tunes from the included movies, Que Sera Sera , and High Hopes

Hope I got that right, can't remember the others.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why doesn't Amazong or deepdiscountdvd list this for sale? Is it there and am I missing it? Has anyone seen it at Costco? I *really* want that CD and am nervous about ordering on-line. Can you tell from the outside of the unopened packaging if the CD is contained or not??

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
cheers Gary - damn I will be annoyed if there's no cd! especially as playusa even list it in the features!
Is the version from playusa maybe a Canadian release? Does it have any Alliance Atlantis logos on the packaging? (they sometimes distribute Universal product in Canada)

DaViD - Amazon.com DO list this set (see my link in my first post on this thread!)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Did you guys read this review at Amazon:

Pretty disturbing! Doubt we'll see a Warner-Kiss-Me-Kate-Style DVD re-release with this one :frowning:

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
yeah, David VP has also put that in his very own thread here on this board.

I am so regretting buying this so quickly now!
messed up transfer, likely not to get the cd etc :angry:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Looks like I manged to find our very own David VP's review on amazon and unwittingly paste it into his very own thread :b

This really ticks me off. What do we normally get from Universal in a case like this? Do they ever reissue or do they just pretent nothing's wrong?

I might be tempted for the box set for the other two titles but I'm definitely holding onto my (sadly) non-anamorphic current DVD...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Threads consolidated. The thread title has been modified to note the framing problem.

M.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Since I already own Pillow Talk and Send Me No Flowers, I'm going to hold off on the set. I may just buy Lover Come Back separately.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I just ordered mine from DeepDiscountDVD yesterday, after reading this thread :frowning: What is the best way to start pestering Universal to fix this?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Costco does have it. $21.99, and the contents of the cd are listed on the package, though I don't remember the 8 songs off the top of my head.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Secret Love (from Calamity Jane)
Lover Come Back (Lover Come Back)
High Hopes
Send Me No Flowers (Send Me No Flowers)
Pillow Talk (Pillow Talk)
Pretty Baby
Makin' Whoopee
Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be) (The Man Who Knew Too Much)

So, the only songs you can't hear on their own DVDs are High Hopes, Pretty Baby, and Makin' Whoopee

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
Is there anyone in Canada who can confirm whether or not the Canadian release is different to the US one? ie. does it contain the cd or not?

I'm in the UK and often online retailers (like playusa.com) source their Region 1 dvds from Canada (hmmm, note the irony of having 'usa' in your business name and then getting dvds from a completely different country). Having ordered this when the details included the cd I now find that this detail has gone from their website (after my set shiped). Based on this thread though I may as well send it straight back without opening it. :frowning:

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Re: the new Pillow Talk transfer

All I can say is ARRRGGGGHHHH.

Of course, I sold my non-anamorphic copy months ago, when the re-release was announced. Do these companies not have Quality Control departments?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
CRAP!

I just bought this version(seperately) it was $9.99 at BB.

Looks like I'm going to return it this week, unless Universal comes out with an apology and replacement DVD

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Who do we contact at universal? They fixed Back to the future and Jurassic Park...but this is MUCH lower profile for them I'm sure.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I went ahead and sent an email to the DVD and Home Video department on the Universal Studios web site. Of course I may never get a response from them.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: Cool.

Yep, that was mine on Amazon as well.

I'm just glad this new version of "Pillow Talk" only cost me $9.35.

And I'm very glad I've hung on to the '99 version. FYI -- Amazon *is* still selling the '99 version, as well as this wretched 2004 copy. About the same price for each.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody else besides me viewed the new Pillow Talk DVD?

I suppose it's possible that I got a rogue screwed-up disc....but I doubt that's very likely. Actually, I wish that would be the case here. Then I could re-order and anticipate a corrected, properly-framed DVD.

I know that many people here had complained about yet another Universal product that had quality (distortion) issues -- that being "Airport 1975", in the 2-Disc "Airport Terminal Pack" that Universal released in February.

Some people got bad versions of that film; but my copy looked fine, with no "tall & skinny" distortion of the characters. So, it appears only some of those discs were affected; while others were fine. Possibly the same thing will prove to be the case with "Pillow Talk" too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks