Pictures of the newest DIY speaker project (Usher 2-ways)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Anthony_Gomez, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Looking very nice Tony! What kind of wood did you decide to go with?

2. That would be walnut. no fancy cuts....that would have turned the "budget" project into a rather expensive one!
    [​IMG]

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Nice!!!

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Man, those are some nice looking speakers Anthony! I love how the Wood contrasts with the black, very nicely done. What kind of drivers are those speakers using, and what size, they look like Dynaudio or something like that. I can't wait to see the sub when it is done! BTW, what are you doing with the Ego's?

5. thanks

The Drivers are Ushers. I got them at Euphase. Zalytron will soon be carrying them as well.

The tweeter is 1" and the mid/woofer is 7".

The EGOs will not go wasted [​IMG] not sure how I will use them though....maybe 7.1...maybe 2 seperate systems...not sure [​IMG]

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

Very nice job, Anthony.

What is the black finish you've used there - looks really good with the roundover on the MDF. The speakers look great on the stands as well - just an MDF rectangular tube for the upright? Did you fill them with anything or are they heavy enough on their own?

A really nice design - I like them a lot. Looking forward to seeing the sub now!

7. The black is Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner. The MDF was prep'd with black primer. DO NOT USE CRAPPY PRIMER!!!! [​IMG]
    The stands pretty much are rectangular tubes. They currently are unweighted, but if I choose to add weight, then are set up for 1 or 2 lead bricks (26lbs each).

8. Dave Crigna

Dave Crigna Stunt Coordinator

That is it Tony, if you get your tumult before me I will be pissed off[​IMG] Great work as usual. I hope you will demo them at the bass list meeting.

9. [​IMG]

that would be funny....but I doubt it. at best, I will get my tumult shipped in the same lot as you did.

"supposedly" (according to a phone call to adire), the pallet arrived on tuesday afternoon and the tumults would ship out on wednesday. My PR's come in tomorrow though (thanks john and kyle!).

They will be at the meeting for sure, though I am not sure if I will bring the stands.

10. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Those do look very much like Scan-speak drivers. The speakers don't look as DIY as some of the others out there, they turned out pretty good.

I'll have to hear them this friday so they better be broken in. [​IMG]

11. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Tony, those are beautiful! Good work, man! Nice, different contrasting look, and the stands are very complimentary.
    Tell me about the drivers, especially the mid-woof. It sure looks like a Scan-Speak clone.

12. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

13. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

14. Michael Hartwig

Michael Hartwig Stunt Coordinator

Nice looking project! What is the height of the speaker?

15. Al Garay

Al Garay Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

How does the Usher 2-way compare to your set of Egos?

Al

16. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Anthony

I really like your design with the truck bed liner and the wooden cheecks. Like many good ideas I see, I'm gonna copy it (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery). I hope you don't mind. I have been threatening to completely rebuild my Audax HT kit because it looked a little bland with the bed-liner only. Now I think I'll add some wooden cheeks to dress them up a bit.

BTW, were you able to buy the walnut in large pieces like that? I haven't seen any in my area.

17. The midwoofer is debatably a SS clone. it looks like a SS (uses same vender for parts), but according to Joseph D'Appolito and Usher, they are different beasts in terms of the inner workings.
    Not sure how much more info you want besides what was posting in my original message. If you go to the MAD forum and search the archive under USHER, you will find MANY MANY threads talking about them.

Seth....

Michael, the stands (including the rubber feet an nubs between the speakers and stands) are 24.75" tall. The mid sits at 32.24" and the tweeter at 38" This is the height they were designed for (24" stands) according to the designer [​IMG]

Al, comparisons with the EGO's will happen...eventually. Without doing a real head-to-head, I can predict that the EGO's will have a wider dispersion in the way upper registers, a better midrange, a more laid back step(less baffle step in the design), and requiring a sub. The Ushers do sound great, just probably not as good in the mid and the awesome bass responce means you don't have to worry about integrating a sub for music, and can XO the sub lower for HT. These designs were not ment to compete with each other 1:1. They were designed with different goals in mind. DO NOT just add the cheeks to the surface of the bedliner..any cupping will possibly delaminate. You will want to glue the cheeks directly to the MDF. ..just my advice [​IMG]

Greg. copy away [​IMG] My design was inspired by some stands I saw somewhere but don't remember where, Kyles HE10.1's, and John J's TMM towers.

The large walnut pannels are actually 3 boards joined together.

18. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

19. MarkDesMarais

MarkDesMarais Stunt Coordinator

Be a careful gluing wide expanses of solid woods to engineered substrates. The solid wood will move as the humidity changes, sometimes quite a lot (varys by species as well as cut), while the MDF or plywood or chipboard will move at a different rate (usually much lower).

For instance in a raised panel door, the center panel is floating, usually just tack glued in one spot. Or a table top, where you mount the top to the legs using slotted holes and screws to keep it from tearing itself apart.

I'm not sure what your construction looks like, but you may have some problems as the seasons change. Or do you live someplace where that isn't a concern? Here in New England, its a fact of life.

Markd