Picture quality on LED LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ralph Folkes, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes Extra

I don't know if it is the settings or even it is something to do with the broadcast or it is just due to the display tech. Hoping someone here with more knowledge can enlighten me.

I work in Asia (Live in the US) On the LED LCD tvs here all the shows/movies have this picture quality that the best way I know of to describe it is Daytime Soap Opera looking.

I personally don't like it but don't know what it is that needs to be adjusted or if it is just the nature of LED LCD.

It is kinda like the picture is to bright / sharp

Has anyone else seen what I am talking about?

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    It's a well known side effect of the 120 Hz or 240 Hz video interpolation LCD TVs use to smooth the image (to overcome refresh rate limitations inherent to LCD). This creates an overly smooth image that looks strange because we're unaccustomed to it. My 'solution' was to buy a plasma TV and a cheap LCD that doesn't do this interpolation

3. Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes Extra

Funny that of all the people localy (from various areas all over the world) I appear the only one to be bothered by it. Some even like it. ICK.

So there is no way to get rid of it just have to not by a LCD tv myself?

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Look in the menu and see if there is a setting to switch the interpolation features off, on most televisions you can switch it off.

5. Ralph Folkes

Ralph Folkes Extra

nice link with info

These are some new fancy Samsung Smart Tvs... With remote in Chinese Yea fun.. Took awhile but finally figured out how to get to menu and change the picture seting from standard to film or was it movie. Anyways looks much better now. Couldn't find any setting directly for interpolation.