What's new

Phrases and terminology that needs to STOP! (1 Viewer)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The word 'terminology' pisses me off.

Is 'asshat' getting old?

'Just sayin' has almost resulted in premature death among friends and family.

The hip factor for 'insert verb here much' wears me slick, Slick.

Cheers (yes that sucks as well)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
"Closure" is so far the only word in this thread that's annoying and overused. What is closure anyway? Like "now that the body has been found there is closure for the Smith family" Huh?

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
- "that said...", "having said that...", or worst of all "that being said...". Ugh. Please, just stop it. A simple 'nevertheless' will far more elegantly and economically convey the very same idea. Cheers.

DS.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I was hoping that someone would start a topic like this one day! :emoji_thumbsup:

For me it's...

"Bling Bling" in regard to jewelery and other expensive trinkets, I freaking hate that term!

Rap and hip hop are making a mockery of the english language, and the worst part of it is, some people think that it's actually acceptable to misspell word's on purpose and misuse phrases...

"Ya know whut i'm sayin'?"

No, I do not comprehend what you are saying to me at this point in time.

I mean, as bad as some of the heavy death metal band's were in the 80's, at least those band's and the name's of their song's were spelled correctly.

Ozzy Osbourne may bite the head's off of dove's and snort ant's up his nose when he run's out of coke, but you won't catch him misspelling "Bark at the moon".

This is why I stay away from chat rooms, b cuz I can't stand talking like dis u know whut I mean, dog?

Another is...

"Who are you wearing?"

The line uttered by Joan Rivers to celebrities on the red carpet, it just reeks of Hollywood elitism and filthy-as-shit wealth.

Dave,
I use "having said that" all the time here in the forum. :b But now that I know it bothers you, i'll try to cut down. ;)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Urban legend.

Whatever happened to "tall tale", hoax or "old wives' tale"?

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
I have big issues with double-is-that combinations:

"What it is is that..."
"The thing is is that..."
"The reason is is that..."
"My opinion is is that..."

SHUT UP!!!!

I have also noted a recent trend of people being unable to recount a story to me in the past tense, even highly educated and literate people. Their stories sound like this:

"Yesterday I'm walking down the street and this guy comes up to me and tells me he is looking for a place to stay. I turn to him and say.."

Listen, you are not a stand-up comedian telling a joke. It isn't that difficult to say: "Yesterday I was walking down the street and this guy came up to me and told me he was looking for a place to stay. I turned to him and said..."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hate it when people say "well, to be honest"

I'm thinking, so you were lying to me before?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
A couple more...

"Gotta give it up to you/him/her", or an even worse variation on that same thing..."mad props".

Can't you just say that someone has earned your respect, is that so hard, or am I not "keepin' it real" or "in da house representin'"?

Or another is "mad skillz".

All the misuse of the word 'mad' is making me angry, or to put it in a way that will make you understand me better, "mad pissed".

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Why is every model a "supermodel" these days? Did they all get some big promotion so nobody has to be just a regular, plain ol' vanilla "model" anymore?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The same thing with Divas.

This never bothered me until an ex told me about her contempt for the phrase "a whole 'nother" (instead of 'another').

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
One of mine is when an event occurs of a catastrophic nature, you can count on someone, usually an athlete, saying that the event "puts everything into perspective". It's not so much the words, but the frequency that I hear it.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> What is closure anyway? Like "now that the body has been found there is closure for the Smith family" Huh?

I think it means they have an answer to the mystery. It doesn't mean everything is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks