What's new

Phono Stage advice (1 Viewer)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Hi all I decided I want to revisit memory lane :D
I am looking to re intergrate vinyl into my everyday listening habit. Does anyone have any experience with a particular product or any suggestions on an inexpensive Phonostage
many thanks

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
My 100 cents are to go for Creek. :)

I have the OBH-8SE, and it costs a little more, but it's worth it.

Blows away the phono/analog stage in the Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro that I have now.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Thanks for the input Kevin, I have seen the OBH-9 locally but not the 8, have you heard anything about the musical fidelity X-lps ?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
From what I've read the Radio Shack battery powered audio stage ius very well regarded and only costs $30 or so! :) No kidding! (I'm perfectly happy with my HK3270 Phono Stage)

Jack Keck

Second Unit
This may be the most idiotic solution of all, assuming that it would even work. So mI'll pose this as a question. Would it be possible to hook up an old receiver/integrated amp with a phono stage into an unused input on an av receiver and use the old receiver/amp as the phono stage. I do not plan on doing this becausesI plan to set up my phono stuff in a different room from the HT, but it was an idea that I had.

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

That's exactly what I had to do. My receiver lacks a phono stage. I bought an outboard phono pre-amp for $15.00, but couldn't ground the turntable to it or the receiver. I tried every screw on both units;none of them would eliminate the hum. Then, I found an old receiver in Goodwill(!) for $13. I took it home, ran the turntable into it, then ran from its tape out to my receiver's analog pass through. It's noisy (interference from the tuner section), but it works for casual listening, which is all that I wanted it for.

-Christian

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Miles, I use an NAD PP-1 phono pre-amp between a Sony PS-LX350H manual turntable and an NAD C 370 integrated amp. The NAD phono pre-amp has no ground screw, so I slipped the ground from the turntable under a screw on the integrated amp. This set-up works well for my vinyl needs. The PP-1 lists for around $125, but I got it from Sound City (1-800-370-3156) for $85 about six months ago. Sound City is an authorized NAD dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks