What's new

Philly Area HDTV (1 Viewer)

I'm two weeks into my Tosh/Hughes STB so I thought I'd try to get a feel for what kinds of experiences others in this area are getting.
I have the RS Double-Bowtie and I've been able to get CBS(100% strength!), Fox and ABC without too much trouble. I've been a little surprised with how directional these signals are, even though I know that's the nature of UHF. I've yet to get a sniff of NBC or PBS (I think WHYY broadcasts). I'm in the NW suburbs - Norristown/King of Prussia area.
At the moment I just have the little antenna sitting on top of the set and that's in the basement(about 1/2 way underground). Is it possible with an antenna like that to get more than a couple of stations at a time without having to re-position it? I considered running a wire up to a bedroom so that the antenna is higher in the house but consider that when I get the stations in they're pretty darn strong I wasn't sure that would help. Also if the antenna is upstairs and has to be moved anyway that would be a serious pain.
Don't really have a specific question, just looking to expand my knowledge base. Suggested antennas, positioning in the house, etc.
Thanks!
Dan

Joe_R

Auditioning
Well, I'm in Delaware. I use a RS VU190XR yagi with a CM 7777 preamp mounted above my roof for a total height of approx. 33ft. I have a rather large hill in from of me as well. I can get CBS and ABC in the mid to high 70's. PBS is in the mid 40's with excessive multipath. Fox is a 28 with no picture and NBC doesn't register. PBS seems to be more east of the ABC and CBS towers. When rotating, FOX didn't seem to care where it was pointed. Always got a 28. By pointing a bit east to maximize PBS, I get a drop in CBS and ABC to the high 60's to low 70's which is fine. I would guess that the closer you are to the towers in Roxborough, the more directional it's gonna have to be. Some have tried the Silver Sensor with good results without having to move it around.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I'm near Princeton, NJ & I'm getting CBS at 95-97 strength, ABC at 88, NBC at 94, PBS (WHYY) at 88-94 & Fox at 76 (sometimes in the 80's). I'm using the Silver Sensor indoor UHF antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks