What's new

Philips Bringing Super Audio to Cars! (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
They aren't just being developed, they're being installed. In addition, auto manufacturers are offering DVD-Audio systems as factory installed equipment right now.
Yep, according to a post on the Audioasylum - the 2004 Accura TL comes standard with the Panasonic DVD-A player.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/dv...ages/7030.html

Not that I think Hi-Rez in cars means a great deal in the success of a format, the facts are the facts and DVD-A has been a reality for automobiles for some time now.

As DVD-V players become more common in Mini-vans, you can bet DVD-A will have an easier time finding it's way into these automobiles as well.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
It is nice to see SACD finally getting the ball going in the mobile market. According to the article, it looks like these players if and when they make it to market will be strictly factory installed options.

I was hoping to see some stand alone aftermarket players available. Maybe Sony will put these standalone players out? Who am I kidding, they abandoned their mobile ES line and would rather include MP3 capability :angry:

J

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't if anyone knows this but the 2004 Acura TL will have a DVD Audio system from the factory. It's a step in the right direction.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
In the project, Philips will provide its SACD expertise as well as its experience in developing key SACD "modules and components" while Harman will use their system integration expertise to "optimize SACD reproduction in the vehicle environment".
This indicates to me that they are developing modules for the car that facilitate SACD implementation. I think Philips and/or Harman would be more than happy to sell these components to Alpine and other aftermarket vendors to enable them to create their own products.

:)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Why won't the new universal chips allow for both formats to be included?
That's definitely a possibility if these universal chips catch on with the manufacturers.

Anyway you slice it, DVD-A has a good chance of being included in more and more car systems - either by itself or with SACD compatability as well.

Now we should worry about 5.1 sound blasting out of car stereos. You think cell phones are distracting drivers? This may be worse. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Michael, please point out where I have put any spin on the facts.
When you reference articles that tout involvement from labels like Universal and EMI while ignoring their explicit commitment to the other format.

When you compare the lack of SACD delivery dates to the lack of 'delivery dates for future DVD-A car systems', and completely ignore the fact there are DVD-A car systems available today!. Pure spin. When you scream that the lack of metrics on SACD installed base 'DOES NOT MATTER'. Well, it does matter, why do you think that the SACD layer is being dropped for the Stones and Police titles in Europe. The record labels obviously realize that good sales of hybrids should not be attributed to the fringe format that most buyers care nothing for.
And while all this continues, myself and many others will continue to balance out the facts. Yet, for some reason, when Justin, Rachael, and myself point out that neither high-res emperor has any clothes, you and one or two other people will claim that we have some kind of anti-SACD axe to grind. Whatever. :rolleyes

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
Michael St. Clair,

about post #29

Thank you very much!

I couldn't have said it better! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
When you scream that the lack of metrics on SACD installed base 'DOES NOT MATTER'. Well, it does matter, why do you think that the SACD layer is being dropped for the Stones and Police titles in Europe.
One of the things I am good at is networking and my engineering work has introduced me to several record industry executives (my background at McKinsey helps here as well). As I talk to these people, they indicate to me that they are very focused on bottom line results in the terrible time for the music business. Their value is sitting largely in tape vaults and any format that helps unlock that potential cash flow is welcome. They are quite impressed when a catalog title sells 500K+ albums and start thinking about releasing more. One friend, I spoke with last night, says these sorts of numbers attract more bands and further commitment from bands that already have hirez out. We are soon to see more Springsteen, more Bowie, more Elton John, my guess is more Pink Floyd, and many other artists who have had albums out. That speaks volumes about the potential people see in the format.

I will try to find sales numbers of prior year's DSOTM sales for us to compare with...

As for the SACD layer being dropped in Europe, we only have a posting from a guy on the Steve Hoffman forum with his personal observance. I am not comfortable taking one person's word that this is a new trend in European Super Audio sales. I have heard from the Sony project team that Europe is exceeding expectations in terms of software and hardware.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
One of the things I am good at is networking and my engineering work has introduced me to several record industry executives (my background at McKinsey helps here as well). As I talk to these people, they indicate to me that they are very focused on bottom line results in the terrible time for the music business. Their value is sitting largely in tape vaults and any format that helps unlock that potential cash flow is welcome. They are quite impressed when a catalog title sells 500K+ albums and start thinking about releasing more. One friend, I spoke with last night, says these sorts of numbers attract more bands and further commitment from bands that already have hirez out. We are soon to see more Springsteen, more Bowie, more Elton John, my guess is more Pink Floyd, and many other artists who have had albums out. That speaks volumes about the potential people see in the format.
That's a good point. However, it's also a good point that hybrid support is being dropped by The Police and the Stones in Europe, and that Peter Gabriel, The Police, and others didn't support hybrids here to begin with. I'm sure those label execs have seen the DSotM sales figures, so they obviously have a different opinion. This may balance and temper your assertion, but it's not negative.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
I'm trying to figure out which is tiring quicker, these stupid audio debates or Pink Floyd re-issues...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I strongly disagree. It definitely looks to me like an avalanche of negative comments on the heels of a positive discussion between me and Tony-B.
People were just interjecting a realistic perspective into the thread. You have a problem with it because you can't accpet any negative perspective towards SACD. It seems like SACD and Sony/Philips can do no wrong to you.

And when you create a thread, others can participate in the discussion as long as it's relevant to the topic. You and Tony-B may have been in a discussion, but it isn't a private one and anyone can join in - and because it's negative doesn't automatically make it "thread-farting".

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Side note: The Rolling Stones series sold north of 1 million according to David Kawakami of Sony.
These sales were because of the Red Book layer, not because of the SACD one.

It is even possible that the SACD layer decreased net sales. I'm basing that on reports in this forum that some DVD players have trouble playing hybrid SACDs (because they mistake the SACD layer for a DVD). I would guess there are a lot of people these days who use their DVD-Video player as their home CD player.

If someone in that category bought a Stones reissue "CD", and it did not play on their DVD-Video player, back to the store it would go.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've always enjoyed seeing my name in print!:D ;) :D I don't believe hi-rez is necessary in autos. However, that's not why I, personally, wouldn't have one in my auto. I once had a Nissan Maxima with a $129 Audiovox radio/cassette player in the dash. Thieves did $5500 damage to the vehicle removing the Audiovox. I don't need this kind of worry every time I need to park out in public. I have a portable MD player and one of those little transmitters that let's you broadcast into the radio that I use occasionally....I'm quite content with lo-rez in my auto.

Lee, it's certainly not thread-crapping to dispute a referenced article. T Rex was an intresting album, stille is, but "key" it is not. That's a valid point of discussion and everybody knows you didn't say it, unless Brian M is one of your pen names?:D Lee, I'll always be civil with you and everybody else on the forum...don't my posts speak for themselves??? But, I have believed for a long while that you work part-time for Sony as a pitchman. You've sounded as such for years. There's nothing wrong with being a pitchman IMO. Just admit it! It's casual!

I'm one of SACD's biggest proponents but I'm a realist. SACD is mired in the mud, as is DVD-A, IMO. Auto systems aren't going to move either format much farther into society's collective conciousness, IMO. T Rex is not a rock icon. Marc Bolan (Mr.T Rex) had one hit song that is proably best remembered by the younger (than me) set because, wasn't it Powerstation (?), that remade it.

I'll proably buy T Rex but, IMO, the only thangs that can put SACD on the right road are day and date, hybrid, single-inventory discs. In my heart I want SACD to succeed but my brain sez the odds aren't favourable. All the king's horses and all the king's men may not be able to put SACD back together again???

P.S. - Michael... :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
That's pretty low.
You kidding right?
I get about 58db with the AC on in my home[at my listening spot]It's impossible to listen in any critical sense when the AC is on and I don't even attenpt to,so the increase of 4-6db is unacceptable IMO and will hinder any differences much less perceptable.
It's funny how you ignore this fact but consider jitter in PS rate one of the major reason why CD just don't cut it.
You need some speacial equipment to measure that[because it's so miniscule],but a $40 Radio Shack DB meter will let you know how aweful noisy enviroment a car is,and for many other reasons it's really not suitable to listen critically,not to mnetion it's not safe,but that's beside the point I guess.
BTW not everyone thinks that the difference in quality between hi-rez and CD is more then subtle.If they did more people would have embraced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks