PHE Press Release: The African Queen (Blu-ray) ** Updated menu screenshots**

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

[SIZE= 13pt][​IMG]

FULLY RESTORED TO ITS ORIGINAL GLORY,
    DIRECTOR JOHN HUSTON’S MONUMENTAL CLASSIC DEBUTS ON DVD AND BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER

[/SIZE][SIZE= 36pt]THE AFRICAN QUEEN
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 12pt]The Final Film from AFI’s 100 Greatest Movies to Arrive on DVD Makes its
    Long-Awaited Premiere March 23, 2010
    Including Nearly an Hour of All-New Bonus Material
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 11pt]HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (January 11, 2010) – Filled with adventure, drama, humor and romance, the epic and enduring cinematic classic THE AFRICAN QUEEN will finally make its way home when it debuts on DVD and Blu-ray for the first time ever on March 23, 2010 from Paramount Home Entertainment. Meticulously restored using state-of-the-art 4K digital technology, THE AFRICAN QUEEN will now be available for a new generation to appreciate and for long-time fans to see again, as if for the first time. Legendary director John Huston’s treasured romantic adventure stars the incomparable Humphrey Bogart as hard-drinking boat captain Charlie Allnut—a role that won him his only Academy Award® (Best Actor, 1951)—and renowned actress Katharine Hepburn as missionary Rose Sayer in a tale of two disparate people thrown together by fate and drawn together by love.
    [/SIZE][SIZE= 11pt]
    A six-year journey filled with challenges nearly as difficult as those faced by Rose and Charlie, the restoration process began at the source: Romulus Films—one of the film’s original production companies—provided access to the original three-strip negative at a London facility where the film was carefully scanned and digitized. The separate elements were then transferred to Los Angeles and painstakingly recombined and inspected frame by frame to ensure that every detail aligned and that any dirt and scratches were removed.

To ensure that the restored picture matched the filmmakers’ original vision, Paramount arranged a screening of an MPAA archive print for the film’s original cinematographer, Academy Award® winner Jack Cardiff*, whose comments were recorded live during the screening. That same archival print was later screened alongside the newly restored version so that the restoration team could ensure that all of Cardiff’s notes had been addressed. The result is a vibrant, warm picture that reverentially recreates the film as it was originally meant to be seen.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN will be available as a single disc DVD or Blu-ray and also in Commemorative, Limited Edition DVD or Blu-ray box sets. Both the DVD and Blu-ray feature a new documentary entitled “Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen”, which includes new interviews with contemporary film experts such as Martin Scorsese and incorporates home movies, archival images and more. The Commemorative box set includes either the DVD or Blu-ray detailed above, plus an audio disc with a recording of the Lux Radio Theater broadcast of The African Queen, a reproduction of Katharine Hepburn’s out-of-print memoirThe Making of The African Queen or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind, a Senitype® film frame collectible reproduction and postcards featuring reproductions of images related to the film.

THE AFRICAN QUEEN DVD & Blu-ray
    THE AFRICAN QUEEN
    DVD is presented in full screen format with English, French and Spanish Mono and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English, French and Spanish Mono and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Special features are as follows:

[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE= 11pt]Embracing Chaos: Making The African Queen—This comprehensive documentary takes a look back at the production with commentary about the cast, the challenges of the filming locations and how the spectacular cinematography impacted the industry overall. Includes on-camera interviews with notable Hollywood icons, critics and crew members from the film including Martin Scorsese, Tony Huston, Richard Schickel and more, plus never-before-seen archival images and home movie footage provided by the estate of cinematographer Jack Cardiff.
      [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]

The Commemorative, Limited-Edition DVD and Blu-ray box sets include the above along with:
    [/SIZE]
    • [SIZE= 11pt]An audio disc with a recording of the Lux Radio Theater presents The African Queen radio broadcast[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE= 11pt]A Senitype® film frame collectible reproduction[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE= 11pt]Collectible postcards featuring reproductions of images related to the film[/SIZE]
    • [SIZE= 11pt]A reproduction of Katharine Hepburn’s out-of-print memoir The Making of The African Queen or How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind
      [/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]

About Paramount Home Entertainment
    Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.[/SIZE][SIZE= 11pt]

[/SIZE]
    [SIZE= 11pt]THE AFRICAN QUEEN
    Street Date: March 23, 2010
    Pricing: $19.99 U.S. (DVD)
    $26.99 U.S. (Blu-ray)
    $34.99
    U.S. (DVD Box Set)
    $43.99 U.S. (Blu-ray Box Set)
    U.S. Rating: Not Rated
    Canadian Rating: G
    Runtime: 105 minutes
    [/SIZE]

2. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

I preordered the Blu-ray from Amazon back in October, when it was temporarily available for preorder. At that time the price was $27.99, which is higher than the current list price. I assume that was for the standard non deluxe blu ray. It would be nice if that was the price for the deluxe set, but I doubt it. I'll see what happens when Amazon updates its listing.

3. zackscott5

zackscott5 Stunt Coordinator

Totally buying the box set!!!!

4. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin
    nuff said

5. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Great news, it's been a LONG time coming. Looks like it will be worth the wait with the 4k restoration. Way to go Paramount!

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I've never seen this so don't know if I want it, but I have to give Paramount kudos for the cover art.

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't know your tastes at all, but if you have any interest in old movies, of course you want it. A romantic adventure comedy/drama starring Bogart and Hepburn and directed by Huston? At least rent it.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Fantastic!! I just want the movie and the doc so I'll pass on the box set and opt for the disc-only.

Kudo's to Paramount for giving us that option.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I've been waiting for this since I bought my first DVD player in 2000. Of course I'm getting the box set.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I'd heard a lot about the film on this site, but I had never seen it. I finally rented it to see why this is considered to be one of the all time greats. After watching it, I still don't get the reasoning for all the love it seems to generate. I guess this is one of those films that you had to see as a kid or teen, since that period in life is when a film can make an impression that lasts a lifetime. I saw this when I was a lot older and, while it wasn't a bad film, it didn't have the impact on me that it has had on a lot of people here. Be that as it may, it is good to see that it is finally getting the release that its fans have been patiently (impatiently?) waiting for for years. Once it comes out, I may have to rent it again and see if my impressions of it change; however, I found CASABLANCA (another film that I had never bothered to watch before) to be a better film than THE AFRICAN QUEEN.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Brilliant news indeed

12. shazzerman

shazzerman Agent

It's a must-have for Jack Cardiff's cinematography alone. The film is good, but there is no way that Bogie's acting is better than Brando's in A Streetcar Named Desire.

13. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    2 of the blu boxsets for me. I'm not being greedy, one is for me, the other one well finally get my dad to stop asking "You have African Queen" yet?" every month.

Now I need Warners to get the Bowery Boys out so I my dads retirement can be complete.

For the record, I read that book ages ago while still in junior highschool, it's fantastic in it's own right. Hepburn can tell a story with the best of them. The price of the deluxe set is a no brainer purchase for an early contender of "Best of 2010".

14. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin

Plenty of die-hard movie fanatics regard The African Queen as just another really good entertainment movie but no major classic, and I think most much prefer Casablanca.

The Region 2 DVD includes a commentary from Jack Cardiff. There is no mention of this being ported over to the Blu-ray. Did I miss something or did Paramount Home Entertainment miss a trick?

15. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That audio commentary is probably owned by Charter which I think is the name of the company that released this dvd several years ago in Region 2.

Crawdaddy

16. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin

Thank you. I agree, That's the most likely explanation.

17. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I hope the announcement is accurate, and that I'll be able to buy just the Blu-ray, without all the junk that will go lickety-split to the landfill.

18. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

I have to agree with your assessment of African Queen when compared to Casablanca, however Casablanca set the bar VERY high, giving plenty of room for high quality entertainment. The African Queen is an excellent film, among the best made in the golden age of Hollywood.

Doug

19. Robert Crawford

Robert

I just checked the DVD release from 2001 and the name of the company releasing that Region 2 DVD was Carlton not Charter.

Crawdaddy

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I believe this is the last of the AFI's Top 100 movies to be released on DVD in Region 1.

IMO, I think one of the main differences between Casablanca and The African Queen is that the former had a much more extensive supporting cast with some terrific lines of dialogue for those roles while latter relies mainly on Bogart and Hepburn to carry the entire film. My favorite role in Casablanca isn't the one played by Bogart nor Bergman, but it's Claude Rains/Renault. Of course, there are also other differences between the two films.

Crawdaddy