PHE Press Release: Star Trek Into Darkness (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Is there any direct confirmation yet on the German release having shifting aspect ratios?

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    The studio can say they're sorry all they want, but if the discs sell well, there will be more of this crap. They'll only be sorry if they lose sales. I was just given an amazon gift card that would cover the 3D edition. I will not be buying any of these customer gouging discs.

Cine_Capsulas and Mark Walker like this.
  3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

As much as I enjoyed the film, and adore BC specifically since Sherlock started, the mishandling of this Blu-ray has prevented me from buying this release.

The release date has come and gone and my resolve has not been shaken.

It is the first Trek film that I do not plan to own until the studio releases a version where I can watch it with the commentary track and not have needed an internet connection to do so at any point along the way.

I will also do my best to avoid giving Paramount another nickel until they resolve this.

Osato likes this.
  4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I think "what might be done about it" will be to simply re-release and resell the movie with all the features in one place rather than making it right by giving a disc with all the features on it to the people who have already bought a copy or copies of the movie.

The only good thing about this is that Paramount came out of it looking like real a-holes. It's one thing when Trek fans are griping on a message board but they don't want Forbes talking about them.

Mark Walker likes this.
  5. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Short promo featurettes and even those are spread to some silly retail "exclusives"? Oh boy, is this the future of the big mainstream releases?

6. Osato

Osato Producer

agreed.

Mark Walker likes this.
  7. Osato

Osato Producer

I was in Target and noticed that the Target blu ray version is $5 more than the standard blu ray release version.

The title is off ad this week.

Regular blu ray version price is $29.99, Target blu ray version is $34,99.

I didn't look at the 3D version pricing.

8. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I went to Target to get the exclusive, but they were sold out. I should have been there Tuesday morning to pick up a copy so it is my own fault.
    I did pick up a copy on Blu-Ray because I love the film, and while it looks and sounds great I think the features on disc are poor. No trailer(s), and of course no commentary.

To ease the confusion of fans, and average consumers, maybe Paramount can from this point on release two different copies that will be readily available in every store imaginable, from Amazon to Wal-Mart. A standard Blu-Ray release with nothing but the film, and a premium package(priced accordingly to the size of the set) containing a special designed case(steelbook) every special feature available for that release, and every type of disc they are pushing like 3-D, digital copy, dvd.

I would happily pay $50 for a movie I love with all the bells and whistles. What I won't do is buy 3 different copies of the same film for every available feature.

Jari K likes this.
  9. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

For what it's worth, I was in Best Buy today and they had seemed to still have a large number of their exclusive.

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I watched this last night, first time since seeing it the theater in May. Back then, I enjoyed the movie, with some reservations, but seeing it again, I was not impressed. The movie falls into too many cliches (setting up Pike as Kirk's mentor, then killing him to motivate Kirk was the first of many in the movie), and I cannot stomach the destruction at the end of the film - way over the top. Also, I think Cumberbatch got Khan wrong. His characterization is so different from the old Khan as to be a different character -- which would have been fine, if he was a different character! I'm afraid the Star Trek movies have become another exercise in creating more or less generic action movies with a brand name. Lindelof says as much in the article in which he defended the creative choices made in the film.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9293739/a-not-brief-conversation-damon-lindelof-writer-lost-prometheus-star-trek-darkness

And in this interview, Lindelof makes it sound like the production had no choice but to go to the places they did in the film:
    http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/script-doctor-damon-lindelof-on-blockbuster-screenwriting.html

As Livia Soprano might say, "Oh, poor you."

11. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I don't happily pay $50 for any single movie. Never done it, never will. I hate paying $30 for a movie and seldom do. I think the regular, non-exclusive edition of ST 3D hit $20 briefly. Considering how the customer is being jerked around on this release, I passed on it. I might consider paying $15 for it, but I'm still pissed off about this release, so maybe not.

I didn't like the movie as much as I wanted to in the theater, so I'm in no rush.

Osato likes this.