PHE Press Release: Star Trek 2009 (DVD/Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    [​IMG]

DIRECTOR J.J. ABRAMS’ PHENOMENAL REIMAGINING OF THE
    LEGENDARY ADVENTURE SOARS ONTO DVD AND BLU-RAY

$375 Million Worldwide Sensation Beams Up to a Single and Two-Disc DVD
    and Three-Disc Blu-ray November 17, 2009

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (July 17, 2009) – This year audiences thrilled at the triumphant voyage of
    the Starship Enterprise and her young and vibrant crew in movie theaters across the planet—and on
    November 17, 2009, the world will go where no one has gone before when STAR TREK debuts as a three-
    disc Blu-ray with digital copy, two-disc DVD with digital copy and a single-disc DVD from
    Paramount Home Entertainment. Bursting with “spectacular action” (Hollywood Reporter) and “pure
    filmmaking exhilaration” (Rolling Stone) director J.J. Abrams’ sensational reinvention of the “Star Trek”
    franchise was hailed by critics and embraced by long-time and new fans alike, earning over $375 million at
    the worldwide box office. Starring a hot young cast including Chris Pine (Carriers), Zachary Quinto
    (”Heroes”), Zoe Saldana (Avatar), Karl Urban (The Bourne Supremacy), John Cho (Harold & Kumar Go To White
    Castle), Anton Yelchin (Terminator Salvation) and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead), the global smash hit also
    features seasoned actors such as Eric Bana (Munich), Bruce Greenwood (National Treasure: Book of Secrets),
    Winona Ryder (Girl, Interrupted) and the original Spock himself, Leonard Nimoy.
    “I cannot wait for fans of Star Trek to check out the home entertainment release of the film. The
    behind-the-scenes features on the DVD -- and especially the Blu-ray -- give a wonderful look at the crazy
    hard work and incredible fun that went into making this movie,” said J.J. Abrams. “The cast and crew were
    truly extraordinary to work with -- watching these special features, you'll see why. And for people who
    didn't catch Star Trek in the theater, I hope they do now, as Paramount has done an exceptional job with this
    release; the picture and sound quality are both excellent.”
    Page 2 of 5
    The STAR TREK DVD and Blu-ray will boast out-of-this-world special features to take viewers
    even further into the new universe of the rousing space adventure. The two-disc DVD and three-disc
    Blu-ray include in-depth explorations of the reimagining of the franchise, the phenomenal cast, the
    spectacularly real action sequences, the powerful score and the captivating aliens, commentary by J.J.
    Abrams, the writers and producers, a gag reel and a digital copy of the film. Additionally, the discs feature
    compelling deleted scenes that reveal a side story involving Nero with a first-ever look at Abrams’ version
    of the infamous warrior Klingons.
    The STAR TREK Blu-ray boldly ventures beyond the final frontier with over three hours of
    sensational bonus footage including branching pods that allow for enhanced exploration, more fascinating
    features on the starships, planets, props, costumes and sound of STAR TREK, as well as a Starfleet Vessel
    Simulator and access to the latest NASA news about real-life space exploration via BD-Live.
    The two-disc DVD and three-disc Blu-ray will also offer a home entertainment first:
    groundbreaking augmented reality technology. Using a webcam, a Star Trek visual cue will morph into
    a 3D holographic tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise on the screen, providing a unique immersive and
    interactive experience.
    DVD:
    The STAR TREK two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with
    Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French
    and Spanish subtitles. Special features are as follows:
    Disc 1:
    Commentary—By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer
    Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
    A New Vision— J.J. Abrams’ vision was not only to create a Star Trek that was a bigger,
    more action-packed spectacle, but also to make the spectacle feel real. Every aspect of
    production—from unique locations to the use of classic Hollywood camera tricks—was
    guided by this overall objective.
    Gag Reel—Bloopers featuring the entire principal cast.

Disc 2:
    Digital Copy
    Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary
    o Spock Birth
    o Klingons Take Over Narada
    o Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank
    o Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights
    o Prison Interrogation and Breakout
    o Sarek Gets Amanda
    o Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)
    o Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl
    o Sarek Sees Spock
    Page 3 of 5
    To Boldly Go— Taking on the world’s most beloved science fiction franchise was no small
    mission. Director J.J. Abrams, writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon
    Lindelof, and executive producer Bryan Burk talk about the many challenges they faced and
    their strategy for success.
    Casting— The producers knew their greatest task was finding the right cast to reprise these
    epic roles. The cast, for their part, talk about the experience of trying to capture the essence
    of these mythic characters. The piece concludes with a moving tribute to Leonard Nimoy.
    Aliens— Designers Neville Page and Joel Harlow talk about the hurdles they faced creating
    new alien species, recreating the Romulans and Vulcans, and designing the terrifying
    creatures on Delta Vega for the new Star Trek.
    Score— As a fan of the original series, composer Michael Giacchino embraced the challenge
    of creating new music for Star Trek while preserving the spirit of Alexander Courage’s
    celebrated theme.
    DVD-Rom:
    o STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360®
    o Weblink to the STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
    o Weblink to the STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation® Network

Blu-ray
    The STAR TREK three-disc Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1
    Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital with English, English SDH,
    French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Special features are as follows:
    Disc 1:
    Commentary—By director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer
    Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk.
    NASA News— This BD-Live feature gives viewers access to the latest NASA news about
    real space exploration. Learn about new mission developments and check out featured
    imagery from around the universe.

Disc 2:
    To Boldly Go—See description above.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? The Shatner Conundrum
    ? Red Shirt Guy
    ? The Green Girl
    ? Trekker Alert!
    Casting—See description above.
    A New Vision—See description above.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? Savage Pressure
    Starships—Abrams and production designer Scott Chambliss were careful to pay tribute to
    the design of the original Enterprise, but they also wanted to make it futuristic and cool for a
    modern audience. This chapter focuses on the unique stories behind the creation of the film’s
    starships.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? Warp Explained
    ? Paint Job
    ? Bridge Construction Accelerated
    ? The Captain’s Chair
    ? Button Acting 101
    ? Shuttle Shuffle
    ? Narada Construction Accelerated
    Page 4 of 5
    Aliens—See description above.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? The Alien Paradox
    ? Big-Eyed Girl
    ? Big Bro Quinto
    ? Klingons
    ? Drakoulias Anatomy 101
    Planets— From the frozen landscape of Delta Vega to the desert plains of Vulcan, Scott
    Chambliss and the art department had a number of radically different planets to create.
    Abrams’ desire to shoot on real locations whenever possible led the production team to a
    number of strange and surprising locations.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? Extra Business
    ? Confidentiality
    Props and Costumes— Property master Russell Bobbitt had the unique challenge of
    designing props that were both true to the original series and pertinent to today’s technology.
    Likewise, costume designer Michael Kaplan talks about how he designed costumes that paid
    homage to what came before yet were relevant and timeless.
    o Branching Pods:
    ? Klingon Wardrobe
    Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek— When famed sound designer Ben Burtt was hired to
    create sounds for the first Star Wars film, he took his inspiration from the original “Star Trek”
    series. Burtt jumped at the opportunity to pay tribute to the sounds that sparked his career
    with the sounds he created for the new Star Trek.
    Score—See description above.
    Gene Roddenberry’s Vision— J.J. Abrams, Leonard Nimoy, previous Star Trek writers and
    producers, and scientific consultant Carolyn Porco describe and commend the optimistic and
    enduring vision of Gene Roddenberry.
    Deleted Scenes with Optional Commentary—See details above.
    Starfleet Vessel Simulator—Explore extensive data on the U.S.S. Enterprise and the Romulan
    ship, the Narada. Submerse yourself in breathtaking 360° views and close-ups and review
    detailed tech information.
    Gag Reel—See description above.

Disc 3:
    Digital Copy
    STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for XBOX 360®
    Weblink to the STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for PC
    Weblink to the STAR TREK® D-A-C Free Trial Game for PlayStation® Network

The STAR TREK single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 televisions with
    Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 5.1 Surround and Spanish 5.1 Surround with English, French
    and Spanish subtitles. The single-disc DVD includes the commentary, “A New Vision” and the gag reel.

About Paramount Home Entertainment
    Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer
    and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with
    prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing
    and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures,
    Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS
    and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

STAR TREK
    Street date: November 17, 2009
    Runtime: 127 minutes
    U.S. Rating: PG-13 for some intense sequences of sci-fi action and violence and brief
    suggestive content
    Canadian Rating: PG for violence

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

One of my favorite movies of the year, can't wait to pick it up!

3. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    I note no MSRP is posted. Could it be that the practice of MSRP is being abandoned, since no one actually charges MSRP?

I doubt it. :(

4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

According to several other sites, MSRP for the BD (and 2-disc DVD) is $39.99.

5. Chris Will

Chris Will Supporting Actor

Chris WIlliams
    This is my most anticipated BD of the year, can't wait.

6. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

am i blind or do i not see deleted scenes on the blu?

nvm i see it now, listed at bottom instead of top

7. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Does anyone know what they look like & are there any pictures on the web? I really hope they are retro looking. With ridges of course.

8. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

This'll be a blind-buy. Looking forward to it.

9. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

doesnt the first trailer show a quick shot of nero busting out with 2 klingons on either side of the door?

10. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Isn't "retro-looking with ridges" an oxymoron? :)

11. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    They are wearing masks.

12. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

If anyone's interested, preliminary artwork for the BD package is being shown at trekmovie.com which they took from Amazon's site. They think it's temporary and not final until an official update. What was amusing was the Best Buy exclusive gift set that includes cast metal arrowhead badges. 4 badges, they sound like a nice a extra.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/24/star-trek-movie-blu-ray-dvd-packaging-bst-buy-gift-set-announced/

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    I hope that is not the artwork as I'm not a big fan of it. The release on the other hand sounds fantastic and I can't wait. Paramount seems to be pulling out all the stops for this Blu-ray release.

14. Nelson Au

More stops pulled out as Paramount has a new website promoting the DVD/BD release with a website. Behind the scenes shots and other fun stuff:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/comiccon/

15. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    "Digital Copy Edition"???

They honestly couldn't think of any other way to differentiate the 3-disc from the other editions coming out? Can't wait for the "Cellophane Wrapper Edition"...

16. Brian Borst

Brian Borst Screenwriter

I have to agree. Even if they only used the Enterprise, there must be a lot of other (more elegant) ways to use it on a cover.
    Frankly, I always thought they would use this poster:
    [​IMG]

It's a bit standard, but that's normally the case with Blu-ray covers.

17. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is that a picture of on the tentative cover? I can see it's part of the Enterprise, but either I've not been paying attention that well or my eyes are playing tricks on me. I've only seen the movie once and that's it. I have not followed any discussions, forums, etc. What reference in the movie is it referring to? Thanks.

18. Nelson Au

Keith-

If you are referring to the cover art displayed on Amazon of the Blu Ray. That's the white cover art with the Enterprise shown at warp speed. That image was used on the U.S. poster art. I like it myself.

I am no fan of the new Enterprise design, but in this image, it's blurred and distorted and you only see enough to see the iconic Enterprise design form. It's taken from the film as the Enterprise is speeding towards Vulcan.

19. Nelson Au

Paramount are really promoting this Blu Ray/DVD release. They have a video tour with David Gerrold at Comic Con. If I read it right, you have to have BD live enabled and watch via the Star Trek Season One blu ray set.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/07/28/star-trek-home-video-update-new-bd-live-sdcc-video-close-look-at-best-buy-gift-set-more-pre-orders/

20. Osato

Osato Producer

Looking forward to purchasing this one on blu ray. I saw the film 3 times.

I love the US theatrical poster and I am glad they are using it for the cover.