PHE Press Release: NCIS: Los Angeles - The Fourth Season

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    NCISLA_S4_DVD_Front.jpg
    NCIS: LOS ANGELES - THE FOURTH SEASON - Releases on August 20th
    “NCIS: Los Angeles” is a drama about the high stakes world of the Office of Special Projects (OSP), a division of NCIS that is charged with apprehending dangerous and elusive criminals that pose a threat to the nation's security. By assuming false identities and utilizing the most advanced technology, this team of highly trained agents goes deep undercover, putting their lives on the line in the field to bring down their targets. NCIS: Los Angeles - The Fourth Season will be available on DVD on August 20 from CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

One of my biggest pet peeves with home video (television) is the inability or unwillingness of studios to release series on Blu-Ray. I'm sure they have some sort of cost analysis concerning SD vs. HD releases but in 2013 it is pretty frustrating to watch something in HD and be limited to SD only for home video.

- Walter.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I couldn't say it better Walter. I refuse to buy any TV series on DVD after first viewing it in HD. Luckily, POI Second Season is coming out on BD.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I just today finished watching (rewatching actually since I saw the series first run) Season 1 of Person of Interest on Blu-ray, and I have just loved seeing the series again in high def. I wish more shows, especially drama series, went the Blu-ray route on home video.

5. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    Same here, though with a caveat.

If NCIS and later seasons of NCIS:LA ever see the light of day on bluray, hopefully it will be much better than the off-network reruns I've been watching.

In the case of NCIS:LA and NCIS, the HD reruns of these two shows have looked rather awful on my cable system. I don't know whether it is due to heavy compression and/or some other form of sheer laziness on the part of the cable company, tv network, etc ... When watched up close (ie. two feet away from the screen), the picture quality looks just as bad as a lazy upscaled dvd (ie. pixelation, etc ...). In contrast, the HD picture quality of the commercials during these reruns frequently looks better than the actual show itself. :wacko:

If such (hypothetical future) NCIS/NCIS:LA bluray versions look just as bad as the reruns on HD channels I've been watching, then I'll take a pass. (No point in wasting money on something that looks just like a lazy upscaling of the dvd version).

In the case of season 1 of Person of Interest, I've found that the HD broadcasts on my cable system looks almost just as bad as the dvd version being upscaled. In contrast, the bluray versions of these same episodes look greatly superior in comparison to the HD broadcasts I've been watching. At times I wonder whether I should just skip watching the first-run episodes of PoI entirely, and watch the bluray version instead.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I know that Mr. Harris (RAH) has stated in one of the Game of Thrones threads that he has forgone watching the broadcasts of that show and waited for the Blu-Ray releases to view the episodes in the best possible manner. Frankly, I don't have that kind of patience or willpower. :)

With regards to television, I've pretty much stopped purchasing DVD versions of shows broadcast in HD. There are quite a few shows I would purchase, but not when I know that better versions exist.

- Walter.

7. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    My problem is somewhat different than patience and/or willpower.

When I have watched every episode once or twice (or more) from a particular season, I have very little to no interest in buying the dvd/bluray version anymore. (Unless the dvd/bluray sets show up in the dump bins for less than $10).

This is the main reason why I haven't bothered picking up the dvd/bluray sets of tv shows like the revived Hawaii Five-0, Continuum, Criminal Minds, etc ... They're not exactly enticing anymore, when I have seen every episode several times already. (In the case of Criminal Minds, I have probably seen every episode around a dozen times already in reruns on aetv from the first six or seven seasons).

8. jcroy

jcroy Screenwriter

jr
    I say something like this to myself frequently. But in practice, most of my tv season set purchases have largely been driven by price considerations, and whether I have seen the episodes already.

Usually I'll hold out for the bluray version of action and/or sci-fi type shows and movies. Though over the last year or so, there hasn't been much of interest to me in either catagory. Lately I've been watching Defiance, Orphan Black, and Continuum, but I don't think I'm going to bother buying the bluray sets. (I have seen every episode to date, 3 or 4 times already). In contrast around a year ago, I picked up the first four seasons of Fringe on bluray, largely due to finding them on sale and never really watching the show before (other than a few random episodes).

More recently, I picked up the season 1 dvd set of Homeland after previously watching the pilot episode on a basic cable channel, and finding the dvd set at "dump bin" prices the next day (ie. around $15). I thought about waiting out for the bluray version to come down in price, but the lowest price I saw for it at the time was around $40-$50. (I found the pilot episode somewhat compelling).

In the case of season 1 of Person of Interest, I was watching season 2 at the time but previously didn't see season 1. So I ended up picking up the bluray set when it was around $25 back in November. I probably won't bother picking up season 2 bluray set, where I have watched most of the episodes two or three times already. (Some of the better season 2 episodes I have watched 4 or 5 times already, such as the ones with Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi).

9. Albert71292

Albert71292 Stunt Coordinator

Albert Sims
    Being a "cord cutter", I'm only watching both shows on their Tuesday night CBS airings with an over-the-air outdoor antenna with a signal amplifier attached. Both pixelate a bit during fast action scenes, and NCIS itself ALWAYS has looked like it was filmed with a soft focus lense.