PHE Press Release: Hondo (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

LEGENDARY ACTOR JOHN WAYNE’S COMPELLING WESTERN CLASSIC DEBUTS ON BLU-RAY™

HONDO

Dramatic Tale of the American Frontier Arrives June 5, 2012 Loaded with Making Of Featurettes, Expert Commentary, a Photo Gallery and More

[​IMG]

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. —American icon John Wayne stars in the powerful and exciting Western classic HONDO, debuting on Blu-ray June 5, 2012 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. Renowned actress Geraldine Page made her feature film debut as the strong-willed Angie Lowe, an isolated female rancher caught between warring Native American tribes. When Cavalry rider Hondo Lane (Wayne) comes upon Angie and her son, he becomes their designated protector and finds himself embroiled in Angie’s personal drama, as well as the growing danger from the nearby Apache. Meanwhile, Angie grows more and more captivated by Hondo—a man hardened by experience but still capable of sympathy, kindness and love. Boasting superb acting (including an Academy Award®-nominated performance* by Page), spectacular scenery and a powerfully compelling story, HONDO is an unforgettable cinematic experience.

The HONDO Blu-ray includes an introduction by celebrated film critic Leonard Maltin, a multiple-part Making Of featurette, commentary by Maltin, Western historian Frank Thompson and actor Lee Aaker, a look at the Apache, a photo gallery and more.

Blu-ray

The HONDO Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, English Mono Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital, as well as English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

Special features are as follows:

• Introduction by Leonard Maltin
    • Commentary by Leonard Maltin, Western historian Frank Thompson and actor Lee Aaker
    • The Making of Hondo
    o The Making of Hondo

o Profile: James Edward Grant

o The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond

o Wrap up with Leonard Maltin

• From the Batjac Vaults
    • The Apache
    • Photo Gallery
    • Theatrical Trailer

About Paramount Home Media Distribution

Paramount Home Media Distribution (PHMD) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. PPC is a unit of Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands. The PHMD division oversees PPC’s home entertainment, digital and television distribution activities worldwide. The division is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment content on behalf of Paramount Pictures, Paramount Animation, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Insurge Pictures, MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment. PHMD additionally manages global licensing of studio content and distribution across worldwide digital and television distribution platforms including online, mobile and portable devices and emerging technologies.

HONDO Blu-ray

Street date: June 5, 2012

SRP: $24.99 U.S.

Runtime: 83 minutes

. U.S. Rating: Not Rated

Canadian Rating: G

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    No 3D, no sale...

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

I feel the same way. It's a very disappointing missed opportunity.

4. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

What's the aspect ratio? Bob

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Not me, it's one of my favorite Wayne films and after a number of viewings, I still haven't seen it in 3-D. If it ever comes out in 3-D then I'll buy it again.

Crawdaddy

6. Robert Crawford

Robert

I suspect it's full frame like the 2005 SD DVD release with exactly the same special features.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I don't like the cover art. It makes Hondo look like some soulless digital made-for-DVD movie. I prefer this: [​IMG] The wrong aspect ratio and no 3-D option -- I might as well stick with the DVD. No 3-D, no sale. Paramount needs to [​IMG]

8. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

From our article on the production and 3-D release of HONDO: http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html

9. Guest

I'll buy it because I am a John Wayne fan. I don't have 3D at this point but I do have a nice projector with 106" 16x9 and 120" 2.35 screens. What gets me is the studios (and equipment manufacturers) want this 3D thing to succeed, yet they pass up a perfect opportunity here to pull in more customers. I would be very tempted to upgrade my gear if stuff like Hondo, House of Wax, Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc., were released in 3D.

10. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

A few years ago, if a studio released a film in the wrong ratio and lacking an important aspect of its production, people would be up in arms. Now it seems that nobody is terribly concerned or disappointed. I feel that 3-D and widescreen is as important to HONDO as widescreen and color is to a film like THE ROBE. What changed? Bob

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Bob, right now, the aspect ratio is just conjecture. But the 3D is not. This is a real missed opportunity, and I will not support it with a purchase.

12. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I don't think the aspect ratio is conjecture - from what I understand, it's the same transfer and ratio as the DVD.

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

Then that is a shame.

14. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

I've purchased the full screen 2-D version twice already: First on VHS and later on DVD. If the 3-D and correct aspect ratio are still not on tap, this is an easy pass for me as well.

15. jim_falconer

jim_falconer Supporting Actor

But it is my understanding that Hondo was released prior to the onset of widescreen lenses...is that not the case? Hondo has always looked properly framed to me, in the standard 4:3 ratio. Regardless, this is one of my top-ten John Wayne movies, and I'll be getting it the day of it's release. Very excited to see the wonderful cinematography of the film in high def!

16. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    http://www.3dfilmpf.org/info.html

17. Robert Crawford

Robert

18. dana martin

dana martin Cinematographer

Dana Martin

Bob, from the way things are going in this thread it looks as if the collective “We” are upset about this if it is in the wrong Ratio. Currently that is strictly conjectured at the moment as the press release only mentions 1080p but not the ratio. More so upsetting is the missed golden opportunity to release a classic 3D film in 3D to a new generation. Sooner or later the studios are going to need to address classic Hollywood 3D.

19. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Yes, there are a couple of non-3-D shots that are in the film. But make no mistake, the film should be presented in widescreen and 3-D. Even if they don't release in 3-D on Blu-ray, there's no excuse for the incorrect aspect ratio. No sale.

20. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

By May of 1953, all the Hollywood studios had switched to widescreen cinematography. In the summer of that year, most major theaters had installed new widescreens. HONDO was released in late November so most of the major theaters were equipped to run it in the recommended ratio of 1.85. However, it was also protected for 1.37 so that theaters not yet converted could show it in the standard academy ratio. That's how it's been shown ever since. Bob