What's new

PHE Press Release: Braveheart * Gladiator * Forrest Gump (Sapphire Series Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I've never seen the whole film, and I've never heard of any movie having that kind of mix. Very interesting. Was there a specific reason for no surround mixing ever mentioned?

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

Rent the DVD and you'll hear what I mean. You'll put your ear next to your surrounds and you won't hear anything.

Still sounds pretty good though.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I was curious so I pulled out my copy and sampled a few scenes and Forrest Gump definitely has surround sound. It is definitely a front heavy mix but the surrounds are active. Sample the Football scenes, Vietnam, Bar Scene, The chorus during the shrimp boat scene. The surrounds should definitely be more active though. Hopefully this will be resolved with the BD.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am excited about both Braveheart and Gladiator. Never cared for Gump. For a long time, the DTS mix on Gladiator was my demo for 5.1 sound. If it is in DTS HD MA, it will probably be my Blu-ray sound demo as well. I just wish they'd included the original cut and done the seamless branching thing on the extra scenes. I remember watching the deleted scenes on the DVD and did not feel they were absolutely necessary.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Did you read the press release Ron posted? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the Blu-ray will include both versions of the film.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika

Rest assured, the original cut is also included. Even says so in the press release.

One thing that's not very loudly trumpeted in that release is that there's nearly five hours of never-before-seen historical and production content in addition to pretty much everything from both of the previous releases.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
same. i just got really excited for gladiator after reading that tid bit. Its one of those movies i don't consider a favorite, yet oddly every time i see it or hear the soundtrack i love it and realize i do really enjoy the movie.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
And here is the crux of your argument. Just about every thread I've seen you participate in eventually gets around to making this tired statement. The Blu-ray section at my local video store is growing faster than the DVD section did back in the day. Rack space is growing at local stores. BD has displaced DVD in the most prominent display areas in the Future Shop and Best Buy stores around here. The movies that people I talk to that make them want to get BD players are NOT "deep catalogue films" like Spartacus and King of Kings (the latter one being UNKNOWN to any of them, I'm sure). They want Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, Gladiator (imagine that), Indiana Jones...the list goes on but it hardly contains anything made before 1980. I might prefer, as you do, a greater focus on "deep catalogue" films, but let's not pretend that such films are what drove DVD to success and are required for BD to be considered a success. Hell, even now, over a DECADE after its been on the market as a product, there are films coming out for the first time on SD DVD (and I've been buying them because it could be another decade or longer before they get a BD release--if ever). If "deep catalogue" was so vital in the first five years of DVD, then why am I still waiting for The African Queen? No. The "deep catalogue" became a viable market segment AFTER the films you don't seem to appreciate made DVD a widely adopted format. The same applies to BD.

And, back to the OP--Braveheart and Gladiator will be on my shelf for sure (they will be on my Christmas list as I've got a stack of films to keep me busy until then and, if I don't get them for Christmas, I'll pick them up shortly thereafter).

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

So, you just assume I didn't read it?

Well...you're right, I only glanced at it.

Thanks for the info that I should have noticed. Looks like it'll be an awesome release. :emoji_thumbsup:

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

That is fantastic news! All the new extras combined with a DTS-MA audio track make this my most anticipated release of the year. :emoji_thumbsup:

drn211

Auditioning
Real Name
Daniel Negin

Four hours not Five. And it's too bad they didn't mention whether the extras from the previous releases of Braveheart will be ported over. I hope they are.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Yes, I will hold onto my opinions, just as you will hold onto yours. Yours are no more valuable than mine, except to you. You're still waiting for The African Queen, which has been available for many years in another region, because apparently the rights have shifted back and forth many times between various companies and because the elements need to be dealt with. Pretty simple. And I'm sorry, you are simply misremembering what came when with DVD. As are most people who are trying to make the best of a not very wonderful Blu-Ray situation. You can tap dance all you like, and that's all it is - tap dancing. No reason to carry on this discussion because you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours, and such is life. A year from now, when this same conversation happens again the only thing you will find is that not very much has changed, but you'll still say "the same tired argument."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Even IF you're right, there's a ton of factors that Blu-ray has to deal with that DVD didn't have to contend with so, of course, its growth will be slower than the massively successful DVD. Expecting Blu-ray to be as successful as DVD is like someone running a 4 minute mile, getting to the finish line, finding out that they have to run another mile and then people being dissapointed when it takes him 5 minutes to run the second mile. Yeah, it took longer but it's still pretty damn good.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I see. I (and most people) are misremembering but you, oh infallible one, are not? :laugh: I guess I must also be "mis-hearing" all the people who've told me they're interested in things like Gladiator and Braveheart. They must have meant Spartacus and, what was it, King of Kings? Yeah, that must be it. 'Cause, you know, when I look at the DVDs on the shelves of, oh, just about everybody I know who owns any--King of Kings stands so prominently on their shelf.:laugh:

And I thought cognitive dissonance of this magnitude was mostly confined to a few hardcore Trekkies. Ah well, learn something new every day. And a year from now, the only one trying to have this "conversation" will be you. And yes, I don't expect what you have to say then will have changed all that much. And that'll make it an "even MORE tired argument". Me? I'll be watching Gladiator on BD and liking it.:emoji_thumbsup:

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

I don't think you really want to continue to be offensive, do you, oh "infallible one"? I'm glad that you and your friends will continue to enjoy Blu-Ray classics from the years 1990 and forward. Not my favorite decades for film, but, you know, each to their own. I will look forward to classics and great films from the decades prior to 1990 because frankly not much subsequent to 1990 interests me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks