What's new

PHE Press Release: Braveheart * Gladiator * Forrest Gump (Sapphire Series Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
They're still doing the rebate? That's good. I paid around $16 for "Ghost" on BD, got the rebate which took about two or three months for them to send, making that upgrade from DVD to BD a hell of a bargain.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Flemming.K

I do hope, that it is Robert Harris who will give us his "few words about" the Gladiator release.
Me too. If anyone can speak to this issue it would be Mr. Harris.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Scott Shanks

For some reason, my Best Buy had the Braveheart discs on the shelves already. I noticed they had a $10 mail-in rebate for current owners of the Special Edition DVD. Maybe that'll take some of the sting out. ;-)
NIIiice although I wish they'd make it so I don't need to cut up the BD cover for the proof of purchase UPC.

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyone who has Braveheart, I noticed about 40 mins in right when Wallace starts beating up the guards to save his girl, I see at least 3 frame jumps, as if 1 or 2 frames are missing?

Since I haven't watched the movie in at least 10 years I can't remember if that has been there before.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by TonyD

anyone who has Braveheart, I noticed about 40 mins in right when Wallace starts beating up the guards to save his girl, I see at least 3 frame jumps, as if 1 or 2 frames are missing?

Since I haven't watched the movie in at least 10 years I can't remember if that has been there before.
Gibson intentionally removed frames during impact moments of the battles. He said as much during the commentary, at least on the old DVD release. Essentially, to give certain moments a jarring impact feel, he would remove the frame immediately following the hit and replace it with a duplicate of the frame before. So, what your seeing is frame 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 6, 7, etc.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Those jumpcuts are also done during some weapon impacts. I thought those were needed to cut to the special effects prop attached to the actor/stuntman, as if they were cheating. I never knew they were intentional.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Bill Hunt at Digital Bits has seen the discs, and his opinion is basically:

Braveheart: pretty much the perfect Blu-ray release in every way

Gladiator: First-rate audio and extras, but when compared to Braveheart, the video is even more of a disgrace than it already was, and hopes Paramount issues a fix.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it amazing that when people actually see the Gladiator disc, it confirms what was shown in the screen caps.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep. I recall a very similar thing with Dark City. People saying you can't tell about possible EE and DNR by the screencaps. Well, I bought the disc and it looked exactly the same in motion as it did in those silly screenshots. Full of EE and the people looked like mannequins.

Godbluffer

Auditioning
Real Name
Xander
Slightly revised version of a post of mine on the blu-ray.com forum:

There's a certain weirdness in the color timing of the Theatrical cut on the blu-ray that comes through most clearly in close-ups of faces, which all have too much of a 'rosy' complexion to me. It can be seen here in Joaquin Phoenix's face and if you compare either of the HDTV shots to the blu-ray here of Russell Crowe's face it also is evident. And of course the DNR on the blu-ray smears the detail away, making that shot lose the grittiness it does have on the HDTV broadcast versions.

The problem with poor color timing vs. DNR/EE is of course that it doesn't get less distracting by being further removed from your screen, so even people with smaller screens and and/or being seated too far away should be able to notice that something's off here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks