Phase shift with New SVS

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Sloan, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I just helped my Brother-in-law hook up his 3rd SVS 25-31PC+. The first two were purchased about 3 years ago. The last one was purchased about 3 weeks ago. All subs positioned together. The interesting thing is that we had to run the phase 180 degrees out with the new sub. I think the new sub has an improved woofer...but the phase reversal is interesting. Anyone experience this? Also the new subs surround feels different when compared to the older subs...not as firm?

Still sound great....!

2. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

bump

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    SVS is constant making improvements to their drivers. Recently, they stopped using TC Sounds and Destijl Engineering as their driver supplier and started building drivers in-house. It helps that they have a former TC Sounds engineer as their driver designer now.

-Robert

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Mike- I would ask Tom and Ron directly at SVS. I'd be curious as to what they say. Maybe it's a manufacturing mistake. ??

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Guys,

It's rare, but having a sub wired out of phase can happen. This can even happen if the voice coil was wound opposite of what the assembler understood. Sometimes a customer upgrading might do it inadvertantly. If you have one sub it's of no consequence really. If you have two subs, it's critical you adjust phase using an SPL meter as a guide so the practical implications are nil, but if you wanted to get both in the same config you only need flip polarity on one subs power leads at the woofer, and you are there.

Ron
    SVS