What's new

Phantom Menace is OUT (part 2) (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Man, those were the days ... holding that sweet, sweet little bastard in my hands and just giggling. Christmas has nothing on that week.
ROFLMAO
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
I've been to four of these stores in my area, with no luck. They all have TPM, but are unwilling to part with it. People at two of the stores even pointed to the box behind the counter that was full of copies. The 20 dollar bill idea probably would have worked, but I will never pay over 40 bucks for TPM.
- Jared

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Such short memories! No one recalls the fervor over Star Trek: First Contact, among Paramount's very first batch of titles, appearing in stores nationwide a full week early??
Man, those were the days ... holding that sweet, sweet little bastard in my hands and just giggling. Christmas has nothing on that week.

I wasn't into DVD when that one came out. Also, the market's a lot bigger now so there really ARE legions of people going out there. There are plenty of releases that are put out early at many stores, and I'm wondering if TPM is really all that different....it seems to me that it's just the hype and popularity of this title that are spurring people into stores.
-Tom

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Such short memories! No one recalls the fervor over Star Trek: First Contact, among Paramount's very first batch of titles, appearing in stores nationwide a full week early??
Man, those were the days ... holding that sweet, sweet little bastard in my hands and just giggling. Christmas has nothing on that week.
I'm laughing, although I'm not sure if you're serious or not. :)
Honestly, though, I just had that giggling feeling yesterday...when I went at 8am to Fry's and picked up The Godfather box set. If I didn't have 2 important meetings that day, I would have stayed home and watched the damn thing and called in sick. :)

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator
I just found The Phantom Menace at a large discount store in Wilkesboro, NC... Let's just call it X-Mart for reference sake :)
I went to their electronics department and noticed immediately that there was a pallet full of "movie-style" shipping boxes that were mostly unopened. While letting my eyes dart over this pallet, I noticed a large box with a big orange sticker which read: "Do Not Display Until 10/16/01. Street Date Violators Will Be Punished." There it is, I thought... my heart racing in my chest. There were 5 smaller boxes stacked on top of the large one, so I couldn't just reach in and pull one out. I would have to be clever.
I scoped out the electronics department for about 30 minutes. There was one employee who was just mindlessly putting out freight. I figured that if I stayed around long enough that I would eventually get my opportunity... I was right.
A customer asked for a game out of the video game case. Now was my chance. As the employee walked toward the back of electronics, I quickly unstacked the 5 boxes that were on top of the large one with the "10/16/01" sticker. To my pleasant surprise, the large box had already been cut open. Upon lifting the flaps, I encountered more cardboard wrapped in plastic. This cardboard appeared to be die-cut which would indicate a display box. I was able to lift just enough of this cardboard out and peep into the box just long enough to see the words "A BEGINNING" within a gold band at the top (as in "EVERY SAGA HAS A BEGINNING"). BINGO!!!!!! I grabbed a copy out and headed toward the front checkouts as fast as I could. Approximately 3 minutes later, I was out the door with my very own Star Wars Episode I DVD... :) :) :) :) :)
Exactly 1,050 days since purchasing my first DVD player, I finally have a Star Wars movie on DVD...
[Edited last by Carl Walker on October 10, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I got mine in the Los Angeles Area (thanks to a tip from here)!!!
The weird thing is....there's a sticker on the package that says "FRENCH TRACK INCLUDED" or something like that. Did I get the Canadian Version? Is there a difference (beyond the French/Spanish Track) between the US & Canadian versions?
Anyways...LA has TPM!
Andrew
------------------
"There's nothing you can do to stop the catharsis of spurious morality!"

quote: I scoped out the electronics department for about 30 minutes.[/quote]
Carl, I applaud your discipline. :)
------------------
[Edited last by Anthony Lopez on October 10, 2001 at 09:26 PM]

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
hehe... Carl... you think that you are the only one who roots through the boxes at the local X Mart?
Anything ON THE FLOOR is fair game.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I found it at in Vancouver, Canada where a guy I know works. He kept towing the company line that it wasn't out yet cause his manager was around. When the manager took a break he let me hold a copy but wouldn't sell it to me since it wasn't in the computer system yet and he couldn't add it to the system without the manager.
ARGH.. So close and yet so far
M.

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
I was at my local Best Buy and was talking to a guy who worked there I knew. I knew his sister a lot better than him if you know what I mean. Anyway, he brought out a copy of the dvd out to me to look at. The packaging looks pretty good. He told me he couldn't sell it and I said it didn't matter. He did say the price would be $17.99 the first week. He said the back room had over 400 copies already. He also said that it would be handing out some sort of dvd-rom cd to the first 100 or so buyers. Just wanted to let you know, it looks like the stores will have plenty for everyone. God Bless AMERICA.

Luis A

Second Unit
JARED! The you know what by my house (I live close to Renton) still has a bunch of TPM dvds for sale @ about $22.00. If you still can't wait e-mail me for the address. [email protected]
L

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Look what happens when you try to access the DVD-ROM feature before the release date:
weblink2.jpg

[Edited last by Richard Kim on October 11, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
OK - got my copy just now on lunch hour! Tonight will be the comparison between the DVD and LD.
------------------
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
MyHTSetup

DanL

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
"I plan to wait at least a month after the release date to buy this
movie. Lucas made me wait I am going to do the same to him."
That'll show him.
"Umm..excuse me Mr. Lucas?"
"Yes?"
"All of our copies of Episode 1 have sold out across the country.."
"Great!!"
"Uhh.."
"What's wrong?"
"...except for....one."
"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! That one guy must have made me wait! NOOO!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks