What's new

Phantasm II, an upscale? (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
Yes because Phantasm II is coming out of Universal. They're far from perfect but I have never heard of them releasing an upconvert.
Old master, degrained to remove detail, contrast boosted to remove more detail but make the colours pop, hey presto it looks like an upconvert but really its just a Universal special.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
FanboyZ said:
4 Jackie Chan movies, 2 separate releases within the last 5 months are knowingly upscaled.
One more so hard to imagine?
Asian films being upscaled is unfortunately common because of the sources being provided by the Asian film companies. This is generally true for multiple releases for various US distributors. I don't think the comparison to the films provided by the US studios is apt.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Old master, degrained to remove detail, contrast boosted to remove more detail but make the colours pop, hey presto it looks like an upconvert but really its just a Universal special.
That has been the case in way too many of their releases but, like I said, it's still not an upconvert.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Brandon Conway said:
Asian films being upscaled is unfortunately common because of the sources being provided by the Asian film companies. This is generally true for multiple releases for various US distributors. I don't think the comparison to the films provided by the US studios is apt.
True, their studio licensed releases are much less likely to be unconverted, and if this one is from Universal I wouldn't expect it to be the case. Sure, Family Plot in the recent Hitchcock set was practically one, but releases like that from Universal are...let's say "unfortunate exceptions".

If this was a film being licensed from a non-studio entity, like last years dreadful Shout! blu-ray release The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, I'd be more leery.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks