What's new

Peyton Place and Diary of Anne Frank dvd problem (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Hello, I was just watching my dvds from Fox studio classics and was very surprise to find out that my Peyton Place dvd as well as the one for Diary of Anne Frank had just died.
In fact the first one only shows the extras, while the second runs ok until the chapter 19, when it just blocks.
And when I first watched them in the time of their release there weren't any problem of that sort.
So, this is only with my dvds or you too had these experience with those two titles?

david ck

Auditioning
About a year ago my copy of "Peyton Place" stopped "loading".It just would not play.You would insert the dvd into the machine and it just kept searching but nothing would play. I tried it on two different dvd players and the same thing. No visible damage. This is after having it for awhile with no problems. This is one of my favorite movies so I ended up buying another copy..now you have me thinking I should check to see if my new copy is still working. I have about 200 dvd's, and this is only 1 of 2 that I have ever had a problems with. Interesting that you bring the subject up!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
I had my copy of "Peyton Place" freeze at one point during my very first use. I had to fast forward it and rewind to slightly after the freeze occured

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
YES!
My DIARY OF ANNE FRANK "pixilates" and freezes.
I actually returned it the day after i bought
it and got a new one,
and it does the same thing, in a different place,
but always in the latter hour of the film.
UGH.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
I realize this is an old thread, but my Peyton Place DVD is now doing the same thing as others have reported. It freezes up around 2/3 of the way through the movie and then dies. I've tried it a few times, always with the same result. My disc is old, but I bought it brand new when it was first released. It has no visible issues or dirt on the surface at all, and I take good care of my discs. Those of you who bought replacement DVDs, did they do the same thing? This is one of my favorite films (with one of my favorite film scores), and I will definitely replace it, if that solves the problem. By the way ... any word yet, rumor or otherwise, about a Blu-ray release? Thanks in advance.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
PaulMSchneider said:
I realize this is an old thread, but my Peyton Place DVD is now doing the same thing as others have reported. It freezes up around 2/3 of the way through the movie and then dies. I've tried it a few times, always with the same result. My disc is old, but I bought it brand new when it was first released. It has no visible issues or dirt on the surface at all, and I take good care of my discs. Those of you who bought replacement DVDs, did they do the same thing? This is one of my favorite films (with one of my favorite film scores), and I will definitely replace it, if that solves the problem. By the way ... any word yet, rumor or otherwise, about a Blu-ray release? Thanks in advance.
Try a different player. A lot of times when a player is winding down, it has issues with focusing properly on dual layer discs and can have this problem. If the same part of the disc has no problem on a newer player - or a Blu player - then it is the player that is the problem, not the disc.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
Thanks for that thought, but I should have said this is a new PS3 Blu-ray player (about 2 months old). The problem started happening on my old player. It's happening again on the new player, so it's definitely the disc. I don't have playback problems on any other disc (so far). Since other people have had this same issue at the same time code (roughly) on their DVDs of Peyton Place, it's pretty safe to say my player isn't the issue. I'm wondering if later pressings of this disc have had similar problems. Anybody replace theirs or buy one recently? Did any of you with problems (as noted) contact Fox about it? Thanks again.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Although it's been a few years since I've watched it in its entirety, out of curiosity I put in my Peyton Place DVD in and scanned it thru to the end. It played just fine. And yes, it was the original first pressing. I did have my DVD of Fox's From The Terrace go bad after a few years though. It froze in the middle of the movie and refused to go any further. I had to buy another copy which plays fine. So, clearly Fox did have some pressing problems back in the day.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I bought Peyton Place new and sealed a couple of years back but haven't watched it straight through. When I saw this last night I chapter-stopped my way through it with no problem. Can you give a specific time code or other location identifier?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I know this is a DVD forum, but The Diary of Anne Frank is also available on Blu-ray, and the last time I watched it, it played just fine. Don't have the DVD any more so I couldn't check. If I get some time this week, I'll check my copy of Peyton Place.

Real Name
Paul Miles Schneider
This is all good to know, and thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I just have a bad disc, and as others have said, it's probably a pressing problem. Since the price for a new Peyton Place DVD isn't too bad, I think I'll go ahead and replace my old one. I sure wish it was coming out on Blu-ray, though! EDIT: As for a specific time code as to where my old disc freezes up, it's not that scientific ... which also leeds me to believe it's a pressing problem and not an encoding issue. It's more or less right around the courtroom scene, but it's not exactly the same spot. I actually forgot about the issue entirely until I tried to watch it again the other night. I was sorely reminded that there was a problem when I got as far as the courtroom scene and the disc started freezing. It was just for a second or two at first (bad enough), but then it froze completely and I couldn't skip past it or fast forward or rewind. My only option was to eject the disc and watch something else. That's what prompted me to search the forum. When I found that others here had experienced an issue, I thought I'd see if there was any new info. Thanks to all again!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Went through 2 copies of the Studio Classics "Diary of Anne Frank" and both died in similar circumstances to what's already been described. Ended up buying a UK edition and just keeping the Studio Classics for the extra features (un-affected on the single-layered flipside). Now I've just got the UK edition and the Blu-ray. As for "Peyton Place", I do have that on both the double-sided Studio Classics and a copy from the UK, so that's less of a problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks