What's new

Petticoat Junction (1 Viewer)

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I don't know whether to be excited or not. I was just visiting TVShowsonDVD.com and saw that an official Petticoat Junction release is coming. I would much rather have The Beverly Hillbillies but this will do in the interim. I'm rather disappointed, however, to see that this is nothing more than a Best of... release. Now I'm undecided as to whether I should buy it or not. If it was a season set, I would definitely jump all over it (provided the episodes are complete). I want this show, but I hate to support Best of... sets as it only encourages studios to do more of the same.

For now, TVShowsonDVD is unsure if this release is coming from MGM or Paramount. I'd guess that it's MGM even though Paramount has the syndication rights. MGM previously did a Best of Mister Ed set (which I didn't buy, but would have had it been a season set) and I don't recall Paramount doing any Best of... sets to this point (plus it wasn't on Paramount's 2005 release list). But whoever is responsible, I think they're making a big mistake not going with season sets.

(Sigh) Well, I guess I've got a while to decide one way or the other. Anybody else torn between really wanting this show but not wanting a Best of... set?

Yeah I had the exact same thoughts, I was extremely excited when I saw the news link on TVonDVD, only to be brought back to earth when i read the sad words Best of , now I am very torn on whether or not to buy as well.
I didnt buy Mr Ed because it was a Best of set, so I guess I would lean towards not getting this for the same reason, even though that probably ends my chances of ever seeing it in season sets.

Randy_Cre

Agent
Same here.

I really don't want "Best of" sets at all. But if sales are good, then maybe they'd release season sets.

So its a question of do I spend my money on something I REALLY don't want, in hopes that it would convince them to release something I really do want. Or do I spend my money on something else I want, and scratch my head wondering why studios release "Best of" sets when most of the feedback on sites like this and TVshowsonDVD seem to indicate that's not what we want.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I agree with all of these posts. I'm only interested in a Season's release of any TV/DVD's, including this one. I wonder also why a "best of" anything would be released since, I think, that the vast majority of TV/DVD collectors like me always want the entire season of any series. Perhaps we're in the minority and don't (want to) realize it? From what I've seen on TVshowsonDVD , I think the majority votes for Season's releases as well.

- Jeff Willis

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I thought I had read that the episodes would be taken from the long unseen first and second B/W seasons, which have not been seen in syndication. A few of them have surfaced on PD collections and some Columbia House tapes though.

I'd much rather have the first season, but I will buy any official uncut best of as well.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Rather exasperating news. I'd love full season-sets, and would buy them unflinchingly. In fact, I've often contemplated how nice it would be to have those long-unseen b&w seasons, all packaged together. This news of a "best of" release is incredibly deflating. Right now I can't say for certain that I wouldn't buy it, but it sure plummets it down into the lower levels of my priority scale.

There are a lot of series that I'd go for in full season-sets, but NOT in "best of" collections. Even if it's a series of somewhat lesser interest to me, I usually enjoy observing its chronological development in season-sets. It's an extra little virtue all its own. And, it's enough to make me spring for many other series (of somewhat marginal interest) I wouldn't do for "best of" compilations. Yes, exasperating news.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I bought both MGM's Green Acres and Mr. Ed releases.

Green Acres was a season set and I've enjoyed watching the series unfold, develop, and introduce new characters from the beginning. Now I'm hooked and want to see what happens next season.

Mr. Ed is a best of set and I've only watched a couple of the shows.

I was excited to hear that the second season of Green Acres is coming, but not too thrilled that a second best of Mr. Ed is coming as well.

Guess which one I won't be buying.

I guess my point is this: I will probably buy the first "best of" Petticoat Junction set just to have a few episodes on dvd, but will be less likely to support a second best of release.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm with Bert on this one. I'd unhesitatingly purchase season sets of the show (especially in order to view the b&w episodes I haven't seen in 20+ years). But a "Best of" set purchase will depend on what episodes are included, and if those episodes are uncut.

Gary "I'd buy the first couple of seasons of 'The Beverly Hillbillies' too, since they were in b&w and far more enjoyable than the color episodes" O.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
9 times out of 10 i would greatly prefer to have a season set available.
but since i don't think i would ever collect the entire run of this show, but would still like to have a decent representation of it on disc, the best of sampling format will be ok with me.

i sympathize with everybody who feels differently, but at least i can rationalize that not buying the set still won't do you guys any good.
if anything, it would just make it worse as poor sales of the best of will only hinder any season releases down the road.

My Three Sons, on the other hand, is one where i would be really vexed to see reduced to a best of set, as the show maintained some decent continuity down thru the years

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I certainly didn't rule out getting a "best of" set of PJ. I've always had a soft spot for the show, and thus, it's actually far more likely I'd go ahead and grab it, compared to many, many other series. That was part of my point, that "best of's" rule out a hefty percentage of titles I'd otherwise go for in season-sets.

Admittedly, if the series were released in season-sets, there was a definate rough patch around the time Bea Benaderet was ill. That particular season (around 1968?) would tax my patience. But, at least it would still offer Lori Saunders, my first "tv" crush, while I was nary still in kindergarten (edging out Beverly Owen by half a year, I believe). Darned if the sight of those two gals still don't make my heart skip a beat.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Speaking of Petticoat Junction...I'd like to wish veteran actor Charles Lane (Homer Bedloe) a happy 100th Birthday on January 26th. Yes Mr. Lane is still alive and from what I've heard, still signs autographs for his fans. Let's hope they release Petticoat Junction on DVD soon so he can autograph a few sets for us. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I hate these "Best Of" cop-outs myself, but just may buy this one. I think we're damned if we do and damned if we don't, because NOT buying this release accomplishes absolutely nothing except sending a message to the studios that nobody's ineterested in anything having to do with Petticoat Junction - period. I think a boycott, while certainly noble and I can sympathize with it, is akin to shooting oneself in the foot.

Kyle Field

Auditioning
I'm curious as to who chooses these 'best' episodes. Who's to say I'm going to like any of them? Is there some sort of web poll conducted or are the episodes just chosen by the releasing company? I much prefer seasonal sets myself.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

Probably some 20-something year old punk kid who hasn't the slightest idea what the show is about. The first 2 black and white seasons were the best. The stories were fresh, the 3 girls were great looking and it's before Bea Benaderet got sick and started to miss episodes. They also need to include as many Homer Bedloe episodes as possible. The show went on too long and the last couple of seasons with June Lockhart were weak and should be left out. Reluctantly I will pick this up but I would prefer sets of at least the first 4 seasons.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I will probably buy the best of collection just so I will have some of the show. I would DEFINITELY buy season sets, at least the ones with Bea Benaderet. They should have ended the show when she died. No offense to June Lockhart, but she just didnt fit in around Hooterville, plus the show was starting to run out of steam anyhow. I love the whos who of Hollywood Character actors who populated Hooterville, and love Green Acres for its surreal humor. I also loved all the crossovers between the two shows, although the crossovers with the Beverly Hillbillies were pretty lame (although I love that show too). By that time Bea was dead, and the show was depressing for me to watch.
I definitely would like to have the BH episodes with Cousin Pearl. She was actually my favorite Hillbilly.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
-- I second the happy birthday to Charles Lane. TCM is running a single movie as a tribute to him soon (if they haven't already)--in the promo of it, they play a clip of Lane in an interview that looks like it might have been done fairly recently. One of the Columbia House PJ tapes has a Homer Bedloe theme to it.

-- TV Land ran the first (b/w) PJ episode around 5:30 one morning 2-3 years ago when they were running color eps. Other than that, I don't think I've ever seen any b/w eps outside of Columbia House. One PJ fan site at the time seemed to indicate TV Land would be running all of the b/w eps, but I don't think that ever happened. (I refuse to buy the p-d sets, BTW.)

-- Columbia House's transfers of the show on VHS look pretty nice and--something the DVD producers should remember--even have the sponsor logos in the corner of the end credits that's usually blank or blacked out in syndication.

-- There was really a rough patch on PJ when they had to use a stand-in for Benadaret and showed that person from behind while Benadaret's voice was dubbed in.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I always found Rufe Davis (who played Floyd Smoot) to be particularly funny. Having seen him also very effective as the comic sidekick in some of the "Three Mesquiteers" b-westerns in the early-40s, I can't help but think Hollywood never quite utilized him enough.

Nice to see Charles Lane reach 100. I saw the tail-end of that interview with him on Turner Classics. He still seemed pretty darned sharp, from what I could tell. Who would have expected him to live so long? On tv, he always played some animated, crochety old guy who seemed about ready to blow a gasket!

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw a notice at TV Shows on DVD that a release of Petticoat Junction is coming in August. Wish it were a season set, but considering I was beginning to think it would NEVER come out in my lifetime, I will buy it to ENCOURAGE a season release. I am only interested in the episodes while Bea Benaderet was on the show. After she died I found it a little sad because you felt like she would walk through the door any moment.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just wondering about this a couple days ago.
i thought maybe the Sony buyout might have squashed this release, glad to hear its not the case.

surprised that MPI is the one releasing this. wonder if they would have the rights to the later seasons (w/ Lori Saunders- my personal fave farmgirl)?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can't wait for this one. I've been lovin' the "Green Acres" sets. Can't wait for more Hooterville! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks