What's new

Petticoat Junction Season 2: July 7th (1 Viewer)

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
Green Acres is owned by MGM (through its acquisition of Orion, which had bought Filmways) and MGM's home video product is put out by 20th Century Fox (they have a distribution agreement currently).

Jude86

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jude Cormier
No, I think you have to pester MGM. Fox is simply the distribution agent for MGM--Fox does not make the decisions on what MGM puts out. It's the same for Dreamworks, which has a deal, once again, with Universal to put out its movie product.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Malcolm R /forum/thread/284540/petticoat-junction-season-2-july-7th#post_3580390

I'll definitely be picking this up, but to be honest I'm going to wait another week. There's a certain sale coming up that should discount this substantially, and right now I need to be careful and selective with my purchases.

Gary "at this point my general rule of thumb is to wait until I can get releases for 50% off MSRP before I purchase them - the upcoming sale will make that possible as long as prices aren't raised before then" O.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I picked this up last night and watched the interview with Pat Woodell and Linda Henning. A small portion of the interview had been previously used in season one but there were several interesting tidbits in the nearly 40 minute chat: Apparently, some Petticoat Junction props and memorabilia are circulating out in space thanks to a publicity stunt from the era of Apollo program. Pat briefly touches on her decision to leave the show and it's interesting to learn that apparenly both Pat and Linda had some input in the selection of Lori Saunders as Pat's replacement in season 3.

I hope when Season 3 comes out, Lori Saunders participates. As much as Pat Woodell is extremely talented and beautiful, Lori brought a comedy timing and delightful zaniness to the character that really made Bobbie Jo stand out for the first time. In fact Lori actually improved with each season to the point that by season 7, with Bea gone and the formerly tomboyish Betty Jo domesticated, Bobbie Jo came to the forefront.

The show lost its bearings when Bea died, but it never "jumped the shark." The final seasons were entertaining and solidly written, but Bea was the show's heart and she was sorely missed. June Lockhart was fine as Dr. Craig and blended into the ensemble very well, but it just wasn't the same.

Still, I hope this is one series that doesn't stall out.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I hope all seasons are put out as well. I have a set from an "alternate" source, but the A/V quality of the official sets are so much better.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am very pleased to finally have available the two PJ black and white seasons on DVD. I hardly remember their initial run and I never viewed them after that. The season 1 release was excellent and I am looking forward to getting Season 2.

The color seasons I remember much better and there are some great episodes that will be upcoming from that period, too (I hope). Yeah, losing Bea was very sad. I also hated to lose Smiley Burnette, who was always a favorite of mine from the old Gene Autry movies.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The Sitcoms Online website has a review of S2, and they are reporting one episode, "The Hairbrained Scheme," runs about a minute shorter than the rest. Any ideas what might have happened?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Could've just been a short episode. I watched one S1 ep the other night that seemed nearly a minute longer than usual (I forget, it was either "The Ladybugs" or "The Hooterville Flivverball").

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'll check that episode with a tv recording of it and see if I can spot a missing scene. There's at least one season 1 episode that was missing a song they sung on a picnic with the president of the C&FW.

I've only gotten to watching this today, but I'm very pleased so far. The first two episodes looked and sounded great. I love this series and hope it continues to make it out on DVD. It and My Three Sons are my favorite television series.

Anyone know if this is selling well enough to continue? It looked to me during the introductions with Linda Kaye and Pat Woodell that they were dressed the same and in the same room with the same background as with season 1. Did they prepare this at the same time as season 1?

I'm hoping I'm remembering wrong and they decided to do season 2 due to the success of season 1, rather than doing this all at the same time and deciding to release season 2 to recoup whatever they can since they had already restored the episodes and filmed the openings and just needed to press the DVD's?

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
Can't wait to see "The Curse of Chester W. Farnsworth" again!!! That episode was GREAT!!!!!

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That's one of my favorites too, I just always wondered though why with a 2 story hotel with an attic, why they'd be placing pots and pans in the 1st floor lobby to catch raindrops due to a leaky roof. lol

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is the introduction cut short a second or two, or is it correct for season 2?

Ends after 1 blasts of the whistle, I thought there was always two?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Its short for sure, there should be two whistle blast at the end of the introduction after checking. I didn't think I imagined it.

Anyone know why they trimmed it down?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by LeoAmes

Its short for sure, there should be two whistle blast at the end of the introduction after checking. I didn't think I imagined it.

Anyone know why they trimmed it down?
I don't know??? Looks like the editors edited it with the sound turned off, and soon as the opening faded to black they cut it not realizing there was one more 'toot', or they probably remastered one opening, and used that same opening for all the other episodes, instead of remastering each one. Maybe that one opening they picked only had one wistle blast? Just a guess.

Either way, I'm anxiously awaiting more PJ. Any word on future season 3?

Also, how do I find this Paramount bible online that everyone is talking about that has a list of their remastered shows?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Ron Lee Green

Either way, I'm anxiously awaiting more PJ. Any word on future season 3?
I feel very confident that this series will continue to see releases. If CBS/Paramount follows their standard release schedule for these type of shows I think we'll see Season 3 by early next year.

Gary "just my two cents" O.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Think there's a chance we'll see it in time for the 2009 holiday season? We got season 1 in December last year after all.

Looking forward to it, besides a handful of episodes, my taped recordings of the color episodes from TVLand don't look that great these days.

The series looked decent on TVLand back then, so I don't think there's a chance we'll get the awful quality that some shows like Room 222 got on DVD.

Even though season 1 and 2 were the best seasons of the show, looking forward to seeing more. Especially the seasons where Meredith McRae played Bobbie Jo before Bea Benaderet and Smiley Burnette passed away and Rufe Davis left. Sadly, after season 4 the show started to decline.

The show pretty much lost it's heart without those critical members of the show in the last few seasons, though the late seasons are still entertaining and worth watching. It's just not the same though.

I worry about cuts though due to music rights issues. While singing was present from the earliest episodes of the series, it became much more commonplace later on when the very talented Meredith McRae joined the cast.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, I think I'm going to revise my prediction and say we actually might NOT see any more PETTICOAT JUNCTION (at least not right away). The CBS Bible doesn't show any updates and I just have had a change of heart in the last 24 hours. I think this one may be on the "stalled" side now. Sorry...

Gary "if my prediction is true no one will be more bummed about it than I will" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks