What's new

Peter Pan (Mary Martin, 1960) (1 Viewer)

Has anyone heard of a re-release of this classic? This year marks the 50th Anniversary and the original dvd is OOP. Prices are up to $400.00 on ebay.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I heard there are plans to finally release the kinescope of the original live broadcast of March 7, 1955, which is a better performance. Unfortunately, the kinescope is only in black and white.

There was another live performance in January of 1956, then the show was taped in color in 1960, which is what the old DVD was. In an ideal world, all three versions would be on one DVD set. It's possible that might happen, but they need to hurry up already.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They found a way to get color from kinescopes of PAL video by reconstructing the color info from chroma dots. Unfortunately, it can't be done for kinescopes of NTSC video. Here's a demo:

So it looks like the two live kines of Peter Pan will be in B&W forever, barring some technological breakthrough. But they can still do LiveFeed on them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm glad I bought it when it was first issued, but I don't understand why a perennial like this wouldn't stay in constant release.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
music rights would be the most likely reason it's been out of print.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Someone told me a couple of years ago that a spectacular DVD release of all three of the Mary Martin PETER PANs (1955, live kinescope; 1956, live kinescope; 1960, tape) would be coming out. I think they ran into trouble getting decent versions of the kinescopes. I'm still hoping, though.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Someone told me a couple of years ago that a spectacular DVD release of all three of the Mary Martin PETER PANs (1955, live kinescope; 1956, live kinescope; 1960, tape) would be coming out. I think they ran into trouble getting decent versions of the kinescopes. I'm still hoping, though.

I remember reading about that and getting excited about the possibility of having all three, but then promptly forgot about it. I've never watched the two live versions at the Museum of TV and Radio, but the next time in NYC, I'll request at least one of them to watch.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
That certainly would be the dream set. I wonder if I saw either of the first two as a kid. It's certainly possible.

I'm continually amazed at how the collectors' prices on the DVD hold up on Amazon. I was lucky to score the LD for a ridiculously low price several years ago.

Stanton Heck

Agent
I would hope that is Peter Pan with Mary Martin gets re-issued that it would be re-stored. Teh DVD that I saw the color was fine and the sound was ok however with todays tech they could do wonders with a new transfer.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I guess since NBC was the production company and more than likely still owns it, that a new DVD would come from Universal now.

The entire special is on youtube for those of you wanting to see it again. I got a copy of the dvd with NBC opening and closing and will be fine with that until a new version is released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks