Peter Gabriel: Play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeremy Stockwell, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

New this week.

For $11.99 at Best Buy this week and using 3 Best Buy Bucks from McDonalds recent Monopoly promotion, this was a no-brainer for me.

23 of his innovative music videos (old and new) all with new surround-sound mixes. Full 24 bit/96Khz DTS tracks as well as 5.1 Dolby Digital and Stereo, too. Even if you don't care for the videos, the sound on this DVD is incredible! Just turn the TV monitor off and listen, but the videos are great, too, IMO.

Anybody else pick this up?

JKS

2. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Jeremy... just last night I ordered this on-line using a $2.00 rebate voucher from McDonalds for our equal here, Future Shop (well, not really an equal, but it's all we got...).

$14.99 (CAN) + tax and free shipping... looking forward to it.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I'll need to swing by BB and pick this up. Peter Gabriel always delivers the goods.

4. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

... Play has great sound (DTS or DD5.1)
    PG can always be relied on to deliver top SQ - some interesting remixes on here - Games w/o Frontiers is one track which shines & never sounded better IMHO - overall the bass on Play is awesome!
    Paul [​IMG]

5. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Maybe it's my equipment, but I thought the 5.1 mixes sounded a little odd. In many of the tunes I had snare drum coming out of both rear channels. Is that normal?

I'll have to try it on another system.

6. John-G

John-G Auditioning

I noticed that too but I think its the way they mixed it but my biggest complaint is the DTS track is recorded lower than the the other two tracks its like night and day switching between them I have to turn the volume down coming out of the DTS tracks into the other tracks. [​IMG]

7. Michael_Ruepsch

Michael_Ruepsch Auditioning

Seems this is a problem with certain dts 96/24 decoders (Player Pioneer DV-575A, Denon AVR-3805 et al). Read about this on several german forums.

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

The remastered video looks amazing.
    I was suprised that "Games Without Frontiers" looks like it was made yesterday.
    You normally don't see this much care given music video releases.

Doug

9. John-G

John-G Auditioning

Thanks Michael for the information I have A Denon 3805 receiver and the thing I don't understand is I have Queens Greatest Videos that are recorded in that format and have no problems with the dts sound on those disc's. [​IMG]

10. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    First impressions are great... the 5.1 mixes are outstanding.

My only quibble is that the spoken cues are removed from "I Don't Remember"... (where the aboriginal man asks "Are you a snake? / Are you a man?") The lips move, but no words come out...

You can see (and hear) what I mean by going to the petergabriel.com website and navigating to the Videos section. There, you will find old, bad-looking, but intact versions of most of his videos.

I saw these videos *many* times on early MTV, so the cues are definitely missed...

By the way, looking at the old videos gives you an idea of just how much work went into making them look new again.

- Steve

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Pete needs to encourage his pal Kate Bush to do the same.

12. Jeremy Stockwell

I've got a video glitch on my copy...

Would somebody mind checking their copy? About 30-40 seconds into "Solsbury Hill," the video drops out. The audio through this passage is fine.

Perhaps I just got a defective copy?

JKS

13. Grady Reid

Grady Reid Stunt Coordinator

Grady

I second that! She was just as much of a music video pioneer as Peter Gabriel! And to hear her work in 5.1 would be amazing!

14. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

How do you figure? "Sledgehammer" is arguably the best music video ever, and Pete has plenty of other creative clips. What'd Kate ever do? Run up a hill?

15. Derek Duncan

Derek Duncan Stunt Coordinator

Kate made some pretty amazing videos Colin, almost like short films, especially cloudbursting, with Donald Sutherland, and the big sky was great.And her early promo videos were very creative, the whole story video collection LD is still amazing, and gets a workout in my LD player every once in a while.

Derek

16. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

Some Kate Bush videos, such as Cloudbusting mentioned above, are great. Whoever owns the rights should also release the 1993 film The Line, the Cross & the Curve which features music from her album The Red Shoes.

I can't wait for my Peter Gabriel DVD to arrive, based on the comments in this thread it sounds wonderful.

17. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Jeremy,

No video drop-outs on my "Solsbury Hill," sorry.

My two beefs with this set are that (A) the children-around-the-table version of "Games Without Frontiers" -- the one I grew up seeing -- isn't included and (B) "Kiss That Frog" looks really weird; unlike the other "UP" videos, it seems very lo-res, like a tape dupe of the original video. I'm curious if it's because it was seemingly re-cut to match the "Secret World Live" version instead of the single version of the song.

Otherwise, it's pretty sweet. Check out the bonus video for "Modern Love," directed by Peter "Ruling Class" Medak in the extras section.

18. Jeremy Stockwell

I brought my copy to check it on a DVD player here at work and the video doesn't drop out on that player, so it must just be a software/hardware incompatability issue and not a defective DVD. Thanks for checking your disc, Mark.

JKS