What's new

Persons Unknown - NBC Summer Miniseries from the screenwriter of The Usual Suspects (1 Viewer)

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Ultimately, a false alarm. The local station announced it twice: Noon and 6:00 during the local newscasts but didn't show anything but the normal schedule. There seemed to have been a possibility thet they were going to show the episode that they pre-empted here for a telethon a few weeks ago; if nothing else.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
So episode 11 ("Seven Sacrifices") is ONLY available online, and won't air on NBC. Next week is the 2-hour finale. Well that's just fucking awesome NBC, seeing as how hulu/nbc.com doesn't work in Canada. What a bunch of idiots that network has running it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Steve Berger

Some filesharers have uploaded the content and DIVX conversions already, if you're so inclined.

Already on it :)

However, the fact that it was even necessary is completely stupid.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Josh Dial

Already on it :)

However, the fact that it was even necessary is completely stupid.
Agreed.

Since I'm waiting until the series is complete before viewing, I'd like to have the whole shebang.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
This past episode was the best ever to me. How they are going to wrap it up is a mystery to me. There are just too many questions in my mind.

I am glad that I stuck with it.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Are the people at NBC literally mentally handicapped? The finale just aired here, and the east coast, west coast, and local Canadian affiliates aired it. However, this was episode 13 (Shadows in the Cave), which means episode 12 (And Then There Was One) wasn't aired at all. So this means NBC aired episodes 1-10, put 11 online-only, skipped 12, and went to 13.

Simply moronic.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Are the people at NBC literally mentally handicapped? The finale just aired here, and the east coast, west coast, and local Canadian affiliates aired it. However, this was episode 13 (Shadows in the Cave), which means episode 12 (And Then There Was One) wasn't aired at all. So this means NBC aired episodes 1-10, put 11 online-only, skipped 12, and went to 13.

Simply moronic.

AFAIK - they aired both 12 and 13 last night in a two hour block - at least NBC did here in OKC. But they did indeed skip ep11 and made it online only - BUT at the beginning of ep12 during "previously on Persons Unknown" showed clips from ep11 that did not air (except online). NBC bailed on this show in a big way ... and I agree it was indeed moronic decision.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Moronic and also somewhat liberal with the truth. Didn't they say it was a mini-series and everything would be resolved by the end? Ha. If it comes back, I won't be watching.

And the bad guys really need to get better-quality surveillance cameras...

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Phil Taylor

AFAIK - they aired both 12 and 13 last night in a two hour block - at least NBC did here in OKC.

Interesting. My feeds from KINGDT and WDIVDT both only aired episode 13, and my two local Canadian feeds (they grab stuff from every network) did the same. So stupid.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by PhilipG

Moronic and also somewhat liberal with the truth. Didn't they say it was a mini-series and everything would be resolved by the end? Ha. If it comes back, I won't be watching.

And the bad guys really need to get better-quality surveillance cameras...

There's no chance it will have a second season as it was shot back in 2008 -- although the "conclusion" (if that's what one would call the ending) seemed like they thought they might have a shot at another season. Evidently those NBC promos should have said "all will be revealed except episode 11"....

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
Here in Ontario both episodes were shown. It apparently wasn't being shown on any Canadian network since it was the actual NBC broadcast and not a simsubed version.

I didn't know that they chose to skip episode 11. What a stupid move and there's really no point in watching the other 2 now. Broadband isn't available in my area so it would take too long to download. Oh well. It wasn't a great show anyway, just something to watch during the summer months when nothing else was on.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
The "All will be known" turned out to be pure NBC bull**it. The only thing known was that many, if not most, participants are not dead at 'completion.' They instead go onto a higher level. Big deal!

I wanted the program destroyed and its' director revolving on a barbecue spit.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't know what happened or didn't with 111, since my cable was knocked out by a storm last week. 112 aired at 8 PM on Saturday, followed by 113 at 9. Just as indicated, a two-hour block. Anyone who assumed that 112 would air at 9 and 113 follow at 10, or whose PVR didn't automatically pick up the time change would have missed it, but I'm not sure that's entirely NBC's fault. Just watched 111 for free on Comcast's On Demand service, and am now going to watch 112 and 113 on my DVR. Will read the rest of the posts (and comment on the content) after I've seen the conclusion.

Regards,

Joe

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

I don't know what happened or didn't with 111, since my cable was knocked out by a storm last week. 112 aired at 8 PM on Saturday, followed by 113 at 9. Just as indicated, a two-hour block. Anyone who assumed that 112 would air at 9 and 113 follow at 10, or whose PVR didn't automatically pick up the time change would have missed it, but I'm not sure that's entirely NBC's fault.

It flat-out wasn't shown here in Calgary, nor in any of the other major markets in Alberta. I literally watched four NBC feeds for the entire time from 6 til 11 off-and-on, in case episode 12 was being shown. I find it odd that four seperate and unrelated feeds all aired episode 13 only.

Ahh well, this show was mostly crap anyway--it probably deserved everything it got. Hell, I like *everything* these days, so this is really saying something :)

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor

Ahh well, this show was mostly crap anyway--it probably deserved everything it got. Hell, I like *everything* these days, so this is really saying something :)

Yep - it started out like a Dreamsicle but ended up being just a turd on a stick...

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Overall, I thought the show was pretty OK. Horrible scheduled reeked havoc on my viewing though. It was pre-empted more than it was on, the only way I saw everything was thru On Demand. I was ready to watch the finale, when I realized I'd missed two episodes they hadn't even showed yet.

There were a number of logic fails in the show, really too many to list, but overall my wife and I had a good time watching it. The last few episodes were pretty weak, but the finale wrapped everything up enough that I won't be made if it gets picked up for another season or not.

I felt way more apathetic at the end of this show, than the end of FlashForward, which my wife and I loved.

Doug

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Thought the ending was terrible. Exactly what was The Program trying to do?

Overall a ok time killer during the summer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The two hour season finale was preempted by football here on Saturday. Fortunately, Windows Media Center caught it and recording the rescheduled broadcast early Sunday morning, when everybody was sure to miss it.

I really enjoyed the ending. Normally, I'd be pissed but this was essentially a season long Twilight Zone episode, and it had a Twilight Zone ending. In many ways, it mirrored the finale of "The Prisoner", in which the protagonist has seemed to escape but really hasn't. But rather than simply providing us with a futile ending, they pull back the curtain just enough so we know that Town #27 really did rattle the Mansfield Institute's cage, and Renbe and Kat got closer than anyone to blowing the lid off of things. When all of the town members besides Joe wake up on the container ship for level two, they are proceeding one step higher up the pyramid, same as Joe did once upon a time. Unlike Garrett, I don't think the Program was lying to them when they said only one survives. Normally level two would likely be comprised of six or seven "finalists" from level one. Because Town #27 (apparently somewhere in Iowa relatively near headquarters) managed to outsmart the system and all escape, they all earned the right to round two. On the other hand, Joe is ready to fall back into the program only to have the script disrupted right from the get-go: here is someone who knows everything about him, virtually better than he knows himself, and is a link to the woman he loves.

There were a number of moments which could have been foreshadowing for season two, or could have existed merely to shake up our assumptions, much like the train conversation in both versions of The Manchurian Candidate. One such moment was Robert Picardo's cameo with the excruciatingly bad wig job as one of the Mansfield board members. Another was Blackham's slip with the first name of Charlie Morse's dead wife. Was the dumbest of the town members actually the deepest undercover Program agent of them all? Will he fulfill Joe's role for level two? What team was the private investigator playing for? In a show like this, I'm personally glad they didn't tie everything up in a neat little bow. The explanations we're provided never live up to what our imaginations come up with.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I didn't have a problem with the ending, and I think The Twilight Zone is a good comparison. What I did have a problem with was the show itself. It was terrible. Not sure why I stuck it out but I wish I hadn't. When I saw the "previously on" and didn't recognize any of the scenes, I didn't even care. Say what you want about NBC but I think they knew a turd when they saw one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks