Personal pet peeve

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Do you get this??

I have this coworker from work that calls people, me included, "guy". As in "How's it going, guy?" or "Hey, guy!" Oh, he knows these people by name, but it's as if he doesn't respect you enough to call you by your first name. Instead, he merely acknowledge your existence by calling you "guy" but stop short of acknowledging you specifically.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Sounds like he's just being friendly. Some people say "man," others say "dude." Your co-worker says "guy." Just his way.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

There's a lady in my office that also overuses "Guy" in her address to almost any of the males in the office.

4. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Yeah man, I usually come in to work and go yo, yo, yo babies, what's crack-a-lackin'? but they all know I mean Hi, how are you today ladies?.

Seriously, I have heard the "guy" usuage. Although a bit dated and a minor annoyance, I'm sure he means nothing. As harmless as some of the freedom rock language that floats around here with 45 and up technicians.

Keep on Truckin' [​IMG]

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

I think it all depends on from whom it comes. I used to have a boss who always called me "buddy." I hated it, mainly because of the way he did it in a plasticky "I really don't give a crap how you are" sort of way. It was transparent. I don't mind it when someone actually means it, though.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

There's a Pizza place I go to and ALL of the guys that work there call you "Boss". [​IMG] What's up Boss, What'll it be Boss, Do you want cheese on that Boss, Here ya go Boss!

LOL

7. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Yeah, howz it goin' dere, ace...

chief...

skippy...

8. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yeah, "chief" has the biggest cringe factor for me,
    but
    I overuse "man" and "bud"...just terms of endearment to me.

9. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

Hey Guy.... I mean Danny

So you don't feel alone, I do understand what you mean. I do think there is some sort of etiquette when it comes to interaction with coworkers. IMO i think its rude to call somebody by the moniker "guy" and i have always associated that term with not learning somebody's proper name.

Paul

10. MarkHastings

I have a problem with a couple female co-workers. If I ever refer to them as 'she' they freak out. I don't get it!?!?!?

Example, the 2 women are named Stacey and Andrea, and if I'm talking to Andrea, I'll say something like "So I was talking to Stacey and we decided to go to McDonalds for lunch, but then she (referring to Stacey) remembered that she couldn't go"...then Stacey would jump all over me for referring to her as 'she'. WTF? The same thing goes with Andrea, they both make me feel like I'm totally disrespecting them (and they act offended) if I don't refer to them by their proper names at ALL times.

Sometimes, things just go TOO far.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i find myself using "dude" quite a bit, but mostly only with people i'm really close with. i don't think they're taking it the wrong way...they just know how kick back i am with just about everything.

it's just the way i am...and i don't mean any malice.

however, i must admit to playing "the name game" with people whose names i don't remember. as in, "hey dude...how'z it going?" or "hey bud...wassup?"

12. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

Worked at a place where one of the women there called the guy's "Honey" all the time. The guys didn't mind cause she was old enough to be there mom and fisty enough to kick their butts.

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i had one customer call me 'guy'...

'Hey guy, this doesnt fit, canya get a different size'

Didnt realize he was talkin to me at first lol

14. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

I can't believe no one mentioned Cal from Undergrads.
    There, I think I just did.
    "Hey, lady guy!" [​IMG] I love it!

15. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks for everyone's comments....actually quite funny [​IMG] Thanks for your support, Paul.

I can deal with "Dude", "Man", "Honey", "Sweetheart", "Danny Boy", "Dan the Man", and even "Book'im Dan-O", but "Guy" really drives me up the wall. Makes me cringe just typing this....

By the way, the coworker in question also uses "My Friend" a lot....as in "You better revise those numbers, my friend." or "How come I never received that e-mail, my friend?"

Anyone get the "My Friend" at work??

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

17. MarkHastings

18. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I was just gonna bring up Under Grads Kris. I love that show, so damn funny.

19. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I knew i had aged when i started to get, "Sir".
    I looked around for my Dad...

20. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I have a co-worker who puts a "Mr." in front of every males first name. Good morning Mr. Carl. Do you have yesterdays reports Mr. Carl?

And then there's the one that makes me want to tape this guys mouth shut with duct tape. If you miss a day, the next day you're back at work he says "Oh, look who it is, it's Mr. Carl."

[​IMG]