What's new

Person of Interest - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
i enjoyed this episode. But fear that rather than be a larger arc, i fear Elias is just the boss that killed Langdon at the end of this case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Robert Crawford said:
a violent crime is in the offing. But it doesn't tell them if the person is the likely victim, the perpetrator, or a connected third party, nor does it specify the crime to be committed. For that, they need to do some real gumshoe work
In both cases, there is an impossible technology that predicts pre-crime. It's very early, but so far POI's magic is always right: something is a foot. We've yet to see them run around for an hour and discover...nothing.

It's an entertaining procedural, and I like Emerson and Caviezel a lot. It's staying on the Tivo for casual viewing. But I find the fantastical element of the computer system still distracting (I'd be happier with precogs issuing laser-etched wooden balls set in 2051, since that wouldn't trigger my "suspension of disbelief" like banks of computers in a SoHo loft) . I think my current personal preference is for more "realistic" shows like Law and Order, or the embrace-the-fantasy shows like Nikita and (the new) Revenge. This split-the-difference approach gives me trouble.

I may seek counseling on the matter :)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Another solid episode this week. I really enjoyed the juxtaposition of the two scenes at the end of the episode featuring Reese at the diner and the beach house.
I'm starting to warm up to Lionel and I do wonder if his association with Reese will eventually reform him. (The show is starting to humanize the character by showing his interaction with his son.) He was smart enough not to step in when Reese took down the room of bad guys without breaking a sweat and he certainly realizes that he is in over his head now.
- Walter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My wife has decided we have to return to Glee instead of watching POI (and I don't feel strongly about the show). So, I guess I'm done for now :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by DaveF /t/315038/person-of-interest/30#post_3861487
My wife has decided we have to return to Glee instead of watching POI (and I don't feel strongly about the show). So, I guess I'm done for now :)
While Glee did run on Thursday nights during the summer, it's on Tuesday nights for the fall, winter, and spring. Bones will be returning to the 9 p.m. Thursday time period in November (or earlier if the World Series doesn't extend to seven games).

Did you mean you'll DVR the show on Tuesday and then watch it on Thursday night?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's not about schedule conflict, but what we spend an hour watching. (I Tivo everything. I have no idea when anything's on :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
^^ Ha! Us, too. I only have about an hour each weeknight to watch something so it's always off the DVR. My problem right now is that, while I wouldn't say I watch a lot of tv, I am DVRing more than I can watch in my limited time thanks to all the limited series like Dexter, Homeland, Walking Dead, etc. Come January I'll probably be hunting for something.

I'm approaching the fence on POI. I'm not liking Caviezel and his monotone, deep, menacing voice. He's not playing Batman but he seems to be acting like he is. It's starting to annoy me.

I'm going to stick with it a bit longer, tho. This was about the time I was growing tried of Fringe when it started then it crossed some sort of line and suddenly I couldn't wait for the next ep. So hopefully we'll be getting past this introductory Crime of The Week type storyline and start getting into some sort of season long story arc.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When the cops busted in and found all of the money with all of the criminals tied up and duck taped, I realized that while this show is definitely Batman without the costumes it's also the finest Batman TV series we could expect. The genius of splitting the Bruce Wayne/Batman character into two separate people with overlapping and complementary skill sets is that it allows the show to externalize the sort of internal discussions that you can get away with thought bubbles for on the comic page.
I love the way they've now got a judge on their side. Yes, they're getting a lot of unwanted attention. But they're building a serious roster of allies, too. I also like that the crooked cop is a decent father, and wanted to hunt down the kidnappers just as bad as Finch and Reese did. He wasn't doing it because he had to, he did it because he believed in what Reese was up to. And Det. Carter knows the Man in the Suit well enough to know that he wasn't the murderer, only the 911 caller. She doesn't like him, but she understands his M.O.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it was another good episode with more complications than you would usually expect.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Was baldy one of the Fringe observers? The evil defendant was kind of Elizabeth Mitchelly hot. I wonder who she was.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/30#post_3867303
Fantastic episode. The ending completely blind-sided me, even though it probably shouldn't have.
This Batman has his Joker now.
I agree it was a great episode, though I don't think he's the Joker analogue. I think Elias is a different type of villain: he's not obsessed with our heroes, and maybe not even fascinated with them (yet). My guess is he'll "simply" want to run his crime ring, rule the 5 Families, and run NY. If he's truly power-hungry, I would say he's more like Lux Luthor.

Maybe Nolan is branching out :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can usually spot this kind of set-up from a mile away, but I have to admit they fooled me completely. Great job!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks