What's new

Perry Mason - Season 1, Vol. 2 announced!! (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The reason that I asked is because the information on Amazon, DDD, etc. have it listed in Color, NTSC. I was worried that they colorized it. I am glad to hear that it isn't.

Parker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I have a question about the Season 1 combo pack. Is this just a bundling made by retailers, or is it a set made up by Paramount?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I'd bet anything that it's just a bundled set that the retailers have put together. I'm quite confident it is not a special package made by Paramount. If you look at their other tv shows on dvd, you'll see that Paramount, moreso than any other company, usually does offer bundled sets which consist of nothing more than taking two or more season sets and wrapping/taping them together.

Gary "although if one can wait for these bundles, better prices are always to be found as opposed to buying the seasons/half-seasons individually as they are released" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

The color episode was indeed broadcast during the original run. A number of CBS shows, not just PM, had a special color episode as that was the "new" thing at the time. I don't know how many homes actually had color sets to see it though.

Burr was tiring of the series and the huge workload plus the ratings were down (thanks to Bonanza) so that is why the series left. I believe the hot lights were more of an issue with Ironside since Burr was always having to look up from his wheelchair.

PM is one of those shows that never jumped the shark for me so I think they producers made the right decision to pull the plug before the 10th season. There are some incredible episodes that last season including the next to last episode with Gary Collins which still sends chills up my spine everytime I see it.

Maybe David VP's crystal ball will tell us how many additional seasons we'll get in 2007? (I hoping for at least 4; assuming quarterly releases).

Steve

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Thanks, Steve, I am looking forward to more Perry Mason releases. Although, I enjoyed the reruns over the years, I have not seen every episode, so it is like a new series for me. During it's initial run, as a kid, I considered PM an adult show and did not watch it often. An adult show,to me, was one that did not have fistfights,car chases, and shootouts.(Although, Paul Drake was sometimes involved in that sort of thing on occasion.)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

"The Case of the Dead Ringer," the last-season episode where Burr plays a second role as a Cockney sailor, may have been the closest it came.

I actually enjoy that episode, though, as well as "TCOT Twice-Told Twist" (the color one) and the outrageous-but-classic final episode, "TCOT Final Fade-Out." All three of these looked nice in Columbia House's Perry Mason VHS series, but I don't know if they made it to CH's DVD series. Seems odd to hear "CBS presents this program in color" before a Perry Mason episode, but that's on the CH tape of "Twice-Told Twist."

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
as the killer was a stroke of genius.

I first started watching PM as a 8 or 9 year old and loved it. 3 decades later it is still my favorite series. Watching these unedited episodes is like seeing them for the first time though as there are scenes I don't recall ever seeing before.

Steve

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Executive producer Gail Patrick Jackson is in there somewhere, and it's probably no secret that Mason author Erle Stanley Gardner appears unbilled as one of the judges. One character is named "Jackson Sidemark," after producers Jackson Gillis, Art Seid, and Arthur Marks.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I've been watching Vol 2 and am very pleased that the same high quality A/V presentation that was on Vol 1 is here also. Episodes are still uncut with sponsor logos present on select closing credits.

Thanks to Paramount and please fast track the rest of this series!

Steve

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I am looking forward to buying the DVD this weekend. I love the vintage television series. PM was one of my mother's favorite shows, and I enjoyed it when I was young.

S

silverking

No - none of them are. The entire series was made in black & white except for one episiode.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
70sTVLover, give the show a try- you can thank me later. Believe me, this is a true television classic that never grows old. Please try to remember that prior to 1966, roughly eighty percent of primetime shows were in B/W.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
So true! I've been watching Perry since the 70's(reruns) and it's still one of my favorite TV shows..

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Color catches the eye..maybe that's why...it's a sales thing...pure speculation on my part, but the episodes ARE in black and white, and look great @ 92"!!

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
There were a couple of dozen made for TV reunion films made in the mid-80's and into the 90's, which of course were in color. A rerun of one of these might be what you saw on Hallmark in color.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit

I have to agree with you on the video quality. It is only a couple of notches below the remastered Twilight Zone. I too tried it out on my projector, and it is very impressive. I have to chime in on how unbelievably addicting these Perry Mason shows are. They almost need to come with a warning label. They can't release them all soon enough. As an aside, I have never seen so many beautiful women on a series. I don't know if it is the black and white or what, but these women guest stars, not to mention, Barbara Hale are stunning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks