What's new

Perks of Being A Wallflower - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Logan Lerman plays "Charlie" in "Perks of Being a Wallflower", in a bittersweet coming-of-age story. The film is structured by using Charlie's letters to a pen pal to showcase the major plot points. Charlie is very bright, reads voraciously, could have a future as a writer.
Charlie has had a rough summer leading up to his freshman year in high school, and the prospects of being friend-less is a daunting one, but his fortunes turn as he finds a small set of older friends who are not quite in the "popular" crowd and have their own quirks, but they accept Charlie, and show him the ropes of navigating high school outside of school. Charlie crushes on Sam (Emma Watson), but she's emotionally unavailable, and he has to deal with other minefields with another female in the group later on, while also dealing with the fallout, and feelings of being ostracized. There are many really sweet, understated moments in the film that hit all the right notes of conveying Charlie's internal feelings, and other issues that are dealt with in the last act of the film.
I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I really enjoyed this as well. It's not perfect, there are some moments I didn't think "worked", but on the whole the entire film has a very sweet, good nature to it, and Watson is damn good in her role. I was surprised that I enjoyed it, and it's a good one for later BD buy. B+ also.

Walt48

Auditioning
Real Name
Walt
Loved this film from start to finish. It had heart which is a lot more than you can say for some of the Oscar nominated films that left me cold, outraged or bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks