What's new

Perfect PAL to NTSC conversion is here (1 Viewer)

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Will it be able to perform PAL conversion and anamorphic downconversion at the same time? As opposed to the Poopex which does one or the other but not both.
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! Keep us posted - I'll definitely pick one of these up if that's the case!
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Pardon my ignorance but I've been reading about the PAL 4% speedup (don't fully understand it). Does this player's capabilities make the PAL film run at normal speed? It's also been rumored that my PT-47 will accept PAL input, would bypassing the Malata's PAL->NTSC converter make the film run at normal speed?
Sorry, I'm one confused dude that's interested in getting into foreign DVDs.
Thanks!
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...PAL runs at 25fps (movies shown in theaters run at 24fps) hence the c.4% speed-up (picture and sound)...
AFAIK there's no way around this, it's just a 'fact of life' (one, BTW, that a few hundred million people around the world have been happily living with for the past 50-odd years!)... wouldn't worry about it too much...
...if you want to get 'technical', take a look here:
http://www.digieffects.com/frames/transferfilmtovideo/filmtovideo.html#ShootingSuper35 . . .
[Edited last by Hendrik on August 02, 2001 at 01:30 PM]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The 4% speedup drives me crazy for English language films. I can't stand it, so I don't buy those DVDs.
Now, for foreign language films, since I do not speak the language, it doesn't bother me at all. I cannot tell because I am unaware that the voices are off. Since I am only into PAL to get my Hong Kong pictures, well, no problem! Miramax, New Line and Columbia can kiss my buttinski while I import "Hong Kong Legends'" (HLK) gloriously restored, uncut DVD editions of Asian films that are raped by aforementioned studios here in the U.S.
HKL's Link Removed has been updated to include more covers of future releases, including "POLICE STORY", Jackie Chan's all time greatest modern set film. It has long been available only in butchered, dubbed, rescored pan & scan versions, but now, we will finally get to see it the way it was meant to be seen.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Do these foreign DVDs tend to come with English Subs? I don't care for dubs, but I still want to know what the characters are saying.
I'll be buying mostly European films, though, so if you have any experiences please share.
------------------
My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
The Hong Kong Legends releases are all subtitled in English. Not the crummy Media Asia subs, with spelling errors galore, but newly translated subs that can be turned on or off. Good stuff.
------------------
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on August 02, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
This sounds very exciting - especially as companies like Hong Kong Legends are finally offering discs that make me want access to non R1 material!
Matt, please post your review on this machine, and compare it to your regular player. Would you use this purely for R2etc, or for all your discs?
Looking forward to hearing more on this. The last time I dipped into PAL conversion, I think I was looking at about $300 for a PAL-NSC converter, and about $300 for a code-free player. This would be about half the price!
Bleddyn

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Not just half the price. Also twice the quality.
It's 6:05 PM and UPS is STILL NOT HERE!! Tracking says Aug. 2 for delivery and UPS says the truck is "On its way." Oh yeah? So where is it?!?!?!
This is damned torture. I have never had to wait so late for a package to be delivered before.
------------------

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
:) I feel your pain, Matt. Please do post a complete review when you can. Especially please note if the scaling works as well as advertised. The main reason I'm auditioning an RP91 is for the scaling on my 16x9 set of 4:3 material. If this Malata does it just as well, I will be returning the RP91 and buying only a Malata.
Thanks!
PS - I hate UPS. They've screwed me over several times in several different ways. I actually try to use vendors that ship FEDEX because they at least have a hub about 2 miles from my house (whereas UPS is in downtown which is about 20 miles = 45 minutes in traffic).
------------------

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Matt - I know you say the 4% speedup drives you crazy, but it's probably just a psychological thing than any real difference you can percieve.
I do recommend the UK R2 versions of Eyes Wide Shut (so you can see all the bobbing and thrusting for yourself
biggrin.gif
) and the stunning anamorphic Scarface (with the correct 4.0 soundtrack) profusely, if you can bear to get around the speedup factor.
------------------
"Here lies Ash Buchanan, protected by the Ejaculation of Serpents" - coming to DVD on 21st August 2001
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 03, 2001 at 01:43 PM]

Patrick Lisabelle

Auditioning
The Malata converts 4x3 material to pseudo-anamorphic. It looks great I just can't believe it. Man The abyss is really hot now!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, is there a default setting for that zoom or do you have to set it properly every time you pop in a non-anamorphic disc?
Thanks!
------------------

Link Removed for their Link Removed reviews

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Jon, I have a good ear and can hear the speedup on films in English. The voices do not sound right. I could tell something was up even before I knew PAL transfers were sped up.
But again, with Hong Kong films, it doesn't bother me, because I just cannot tell the voices are off pitch. Plus, most Hong Kong transfers are actually PAL, converted to NTS, but not slowed down. Why this is I have no idea.
Got my Malata! Review coming.
------------------

Patrick Lisabelle

Auditioning
You can soom in our our gradually. If the movie is flaged as 4x3 letterbox, there is nothing to do. The drive will do it automatically. Same thing for 4x3 materials, you will have black bars on the side.
However, if it's not flaged, you will have to zoom (exemple, the old pressing of Stargate or Somewhere in time, the only titles I've found I have to zoom.)
You zoom by pressing the FEATURE button once, then the UP button to zoom. You keep pressing it until the picture is right.
This player is a keeper. Just for the 4x3 to 16x9 feature it's worth every penny spent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks