What's new

People trying to make money from the terrorist attacks. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I read a story about how E-bay was doing a good job of not allowing people to sell stuff like postcards with the WTC's picture on them so people with no morals wouldn't be allowed to make a profit from the terrorist attacks. I applaud them for taking this stand.
What I don't understand is the other day I was watching Neil Cavuto on the Fox News Channel and he was running through a whole list of company's that were going to see their profits rise becuase of the attacks and he was shamelessly recomending people to buy these companies so they could get in on a piece of the action?
What makes these people any better than the poeple on E-bay trying sell stuff to make money on this trajedy? Do you guys see a difference? Because I sure don't.
Kevin C.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I was watching Neil Cavuto on the Fox News Channel and he was running through a whole list of company's that were going to see their profits rise becuase of the attacks and he was shamelessly recomending people to buy these companies so they could get in on a piece of the action?
that is simply amazing! i cannot believe any good journalist would do such a thing. if what you're saying is accurate (maybe you mis-heard something?) then i think he should be reported in some way. that is terrible journalism and just plain wrong.
i've heard of some companies selling things at cost, but actively trying not to profit from this. that's okay with me.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

MikeM

Screenwriter
that is simply amazing! i cannot believe any good journalist would do such a thing. if what you're saying is accurate (maybe you mis-heard something?) then i think he should be reported in some way. that is terrible journalism and just plain wrong.
Huh? What's wrong with what he said? This was a business report showing that companies who deal in certain fields like telecomminucations and security are likely to have big gains in the future.
Telecomminucations firms will probably benefit from more of the general public leary of flying for bit, and thus would more likely teleconference for business, etc.
What's wrong with reporting that?
It's a huge difference if a company had ads using shock treatment to scare people into buying their products due to the past, (and possible future) attacks. However, if this was the company's business from the get go, what's wrong with that?
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
mike -
that's totally different. i see your point and completely agree. i was basing my response more off of kevin's post, especially...
he was shamelessly recomending people to buy these companies so they could get in on a piece of the action?
i didn't hear the story first hand and now suspect that maybe the story wasn't as "bad" as i first thought it may be.
see what happens from second hand smoke...errr...stories?
biggrin.gif

------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
He wasn't talking specifically about security companies or telecommunications companies I can kind of understand that. He was talking about alot of the construction companies that have to go in and clean it up. He was commenting on the fact that not very many of them are publicly traded but he did note a few construction companies that he thought should be bought right now.
I found it sickening. What bothers me is people probably would never have bought those companies before sept. 11th. Hell they probably had never even heard of the companies before but why should that stop them from profiting from it? I may not have it word for word but that is the point he was trying to get across. I think anyone actively trying to profit from Sept. 11th is dispicable no matter how they go about doing it.
Kevin C.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
I think anyone actively trying to profit from Sept. 11th is dispicable no matter how they go about doing it.
regardless of how the story went, i absolutely agree with kevin.
unfortunately, i recall seeing a couple of news-clips of people in ny being interviewed. they mentioned how a lot of people were coming to see the after-math and buying souveneirs! then i saw a newsclip and they shoed a young boy holding t-shirts. he clearly was selling them. when he saw the camera, he turned away.
it's sad...
------------------
You step in the stream,
This page is not here.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Now that's really disgusting. I also read the story that many people are peddling dirt and debris from the site of ground zero, and specifically trying to lure in the families and friends of the missing since many of the bodies will never be found. Again, that's utterly disgusting.
But to report on those stories, and equate them in the same regard as some sound businesses that have a job to do, such as the clean-up and restoration on NYC, telecom, security, etc. is a totally different matter in my book. Just my two pennies.
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
If they are dealing with stock markets, how the profit is made is irrelevant. Nike had kids making shoes in China, hundreds of thousands of other companies exploit workers, the environment and whatever else they can to make the bottom line. Reporting on what sectors will be hit and which ones will improve as a result of Sept 11 is part of business reporting, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. This is part of the capitalist system we all hold so dear. You don' actually think all the profits made by these companies doesn't come from someone's misfortune do you?
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
So far,Ive seen t-shirts, the evangelist channel is selling VHS tapes and I saw a commercial for a coin last night.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks