What's new

Pelikan AV Switcher (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just bought the Pelikan AV selector that costs around 20.00. I'm using it as a component switcher, figuring that it would work as well as the similar (and slightly more expensive) ones many have purchased from Radio Shack. I have noticed no problems with the quality but wanted to get others' input. Thanks!

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
One important note about the Pelican switcher:

When I tried to attach the Gamecube's s-video jack into the switcher, I realized that the input hole is too small (diameter-wise) for the jack to plug in all the way. Pelican's product is nice, and I'm not trying to slam it, but enlarging the area around the s-video input instead of blocking it with those PS2-esque black slats might have been a wise design decision.

Joseph

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yes, I run a DVD player through it. I have a 32" 4:3 non-HD set, so if there is any signal degradation its probably unnoticeable. Truthfully I'm not sure what I would see - would it mostly be color issues or would it also affect aliasing? I mention aliasing because I noticed some watching last night, but I figured aliasing is a result of the DVD compression quality.

Can't comment on the s-video jacks as I'm not using them.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I realized that the input hole is too small (diameter-wise) for the jack to plug in all the way.
I've come across that problem with my Pelican switcher, had to "scrounge" around for another s-video cable, not good especially when you're anxious to play!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I love the little nameplates for the different inputs. I also did A/B comparisons using component through the switcher and then straight to the TV. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever on my 4:3 ntsc wega. Looks good too!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I bought mine at a local Wal-Mart. I have seen them at the local Best Buy as well. I looked at BB online as well as EBWorld but no luck.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Got mine at Best buy for $17.99. Works great for my S-Video changing. If there is degradation, it must be minimal because I'd be hard pressed to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks