What's new

'PEARL HARBOR' dvd, 'Dolby Headphone Track' SO COOL! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just picked up my copy of 'Pearl Harbor' tonight, and it has this feature on it called 'Dolby Headphone Track', what this does is simulate a full 5.1 soundfield within the two channels of any pair of conventional headphones!
I watched the entire horrifying attack sequence with it, and it is so damn cool! It really works, when actors speak, it sounds like their voices are coming from an invisible and seamless soundstage placed directly in front of you! Bullets whizz from over here, bombs explode over their, it simply kicks ass!
Other studios take note, please consider this feature for future releases, it will make late night viewing MUCH less painful!

Tim RH

Second Unit
Thanks for posting. This is my most anticipated feature on the Pearl Harbor DVD. I can't wait to hear it for myself! They should definately do more of the Dolby Headphone tracks on future discs.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Other studios take note, please consider this feature for future releases, it will make late night viewing MUCH less painful!
Or so much more painful, depending on the volume levels...

Seriously though, it's a great option, and really is cool. Certain movies would benefit from this more than others, but is a cool feature nonetheless!!!

Ralph

Auditioning
Dolby Headphone works with practically any headphone around but in the interest of sound reproduction by the headphone you should see to use some of high quality.

Ralph

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Didn't try it out, but after hearing the headphones facilitate the growth of bacteria in the ears (what was it? 4,000,000 bacteria per minute), I just couldn't bring myself to watch a 2+ hour movie with headphones. sorry to throw that out.....:D

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator
Easily the most inventive feature of the 2-Disc set, the Dolby Headphone Track really does impress. Using a simple pair of Philips SBC HP170 headphones, I often find myself watching many DVDs on my '19 inch computer screen. Around 8 times out of 10 I am using my headphones to listen and pick-up more audio than my small harman/jardon speakers can.

So to say this feature is a blessing is an understatement. On twin stereo mode, the sounds actually seem to resonate from quite a few different points. A lower mix on the right channel in most cases, and lots of background base on the left channel. The actual dialogue audio at first seems somewhat artificial (a slight soundstage echo often is produced), however soon mixes in with the background foley.

This is the perfect alternate option for the times when you just can't blast the system at 4:00 in the morning.

At first I wondered why the film was split up onto two discs, but with so many heavy audio options (French DD 5.1 even) and high quality video packed in for such a long running time feature, it all made sense. Too bad the extras are not quite so special.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
just FYI... the newest version of CyberLink's 'Power DVD' software DVD decoder has Dolby Headphone built in... it will convert any 5.1 DVD to Dolby Headphone... it is reallly cool :cool:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The new "DVD Demystified" disc has a Dolby Headphone demo on it too, though I haven't gotten around to listening to it with headphones yet.

I'll just say it sucks they had to split this movie up on 2 discs though, glad I wasn't planning on buying it.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
[old man's voice]
bah... you (us) DVD users are soo spoiled with your NO SIDE BREAKS... in my day if I wanted to watch 'Seven Samurai' on Laserdisc, I would have to flip it 7 times (well, the CAV version ;) ) with 4 different platters...
[old man's voice off]
really, is one side break on a 3-hour+ movie really that bad? if the image quality is improved and more features can be added, I say go for it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
But it's not even a side break, it's a DISC break! I know that makes it easier for people with changers, but I don't have one so I'd prefer a 2-sided disc, and the whole world revolves around me :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Stand alone players are on the way (one from Toshiba may be shipping already) with Dolby Headphone circuits.

Better to go the hardware route than to waste disc space with extra soundtracks.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Dolby Headphone is also available in WinDVD 2000. Never actually tried it. Do I need to run it with a corresponding Dolby Headphone audio track or does this do a conversion of a regular 5.1 track?

N

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Do you need any special software to enjoy Dolby Headphone audio tracks?

John Torrez

Second Unit
Does this feature only work when you use headphones? Or can you use it with your regular stereo speakers and it will sound just like 5.1?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
It works best with headphones...

I got powerDVD mainly because of dolby headphone, and to replace the crappy software on my notebook.

I must say it didnt impress me much on normal DD soundtracks being converted to DH, but it was cool. If you switch between normal stereo and DH, DH is much more different, much more 3D. The voices sound like they're coming from a center speaker a few feet from you. The surrounds feel like they're coming from the sides too.

All its lacking is the gut-wrenching LFE track... :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks