What's new

Pearl Harbor Director's Cut is EDITED? (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Second Unit
On January 15th, Buena Vista will release the Pearl Harbor:
From The Digital Bits:
Director's Cut - Vista Series as a 3-disc DVD set. All the special programs, documentaries and featurettes from the 60th Anniversary Commemorative Edition will be included, but the set will feature a special R-rated, 5-minute longer cut of the film, which is more graphic than what was seen in theaters. Disc One will feature custom 3D-animated menus, an introduction an explanation of letterbox by the director, Part I of Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut, an Intermission Sequence (with score), 3 selectable audio commentaries by the director, the cast and the producer, and various crew members. Disc Two will feature Part II of Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut. And the rest of the extras will be split over Disc Two and Disc Three. They are expected to include 8 different Making of Pearl Harbor featurettes (including Battleship Row Attack, Sandbag Explosion, Dorrie Miller at the Guns, The Airfield Attack, Scramble to the Planes, The Dud Bomb, Oklahoma Gimble and The Doolittle Raid), a 30-minute multi-angle exploration of the Surprise Attack (featuring director introduction, and multiple video, audio and commentary tracks), a Pearl Harbor timeline, the Faith Hill music video, a Boot Camp featurette that follows the actors preparing for their roles, a montage of unseen super-8 footage (shot for potential use in the movie by Michael Bay's visual assistant, Mark Palansky) and animatic concept footage. Video will be anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1) with audio in Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1. Look also for the set to include a custom THX logo, THX Optimode test signals and possibly even a Dolby Headphone feature (which allows simulated 5.1 sound using stereo headphones for portable DVD players). SRP for the Vista Series Director's Cut will be $39.99.
Looks like I will be ordering the directors cut as listed above. It seems as it is not available for preorder yet.
I'll be on the lookout for the pre-order.
------------------
Link Removed

Mark E J

Second Unit
Quote: - And its very true that TTT did shy away from violence and gore. However it was made in a time where such things weren't acceptable to the studios and society at large. -
Actually Filp TTT was made in the 1970's when anything was acceptable. It is today when movies have to live under the dark shadow of polictical cersorship. Which is why Bay was FORCED to deliver a PG-13.

David Prior

Insider
Bear in mind that despite the press release, certain elements of the Pearl Harbor Director's Cut release are still tentative. The new cut of the film does include graphic violence, and a few scenes have been nipped and tucked, but don't expect a completely different movie.
One thing I'll tell you is the quality and quantity of the supplements are huge. In fact, at this point the supplemental disc (disc 3) is going to be a DVD-18 in order to accomodate everything.
Whatever your opinion of the film, I'm very proud of the disc and I hope those of you who buy it enjoy it.
Cheers,
David

mark_d

Second Unit
Thanks for the info. Sounds excellent.
I actually quite enjoyed this movie, but then I often enjoy manipulative pap! This'll be on my pre-order list as soon as my regular retailer has it.
Mark

Michael Dueppen

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever your opinion of the film, I'm very proud of the disc and I hope those of you who buy it enjoy it.
Sounds like a great set. I haven't seen the movie yet and I will not watch the normal cut but I already pre-ordered the director's cut a month ago or so. Now I'm even more excited. Thanks for the info.
------------------
- Michael
My DVD collection

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi David,
This was my favourite movie of the year (seeing as I'm a huge mark for Bay, Zimmer, and war-period films). I remember the press release indeed saying that the items listed were tentative. Has anything significant been dropped or added that you can share with us? I really like "the fly on the wall" type documentaries where we can just sit and watch what is going on without any narrative or anything like that. I'm also looking forward to watching the military training that the actors had to go through.
What about a gag reel? That's another one of my favourite items and I'm hoping that Bay will make another for this movie.
Any footage of the "Madonna Makeovers" that the actresses had in their trailers?
Great work David, January seems really far away right now.
Andy

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
David Prior wrote:
One thing I'll tell you is the quality and quantity of the supplements are huge. In fact, at this point the supplemental disc (disc 3) is going to be a DVD-18 in order to accomodate everything.
Whoa!
Thanks for the infor David! Like many, I loved this movie and I'm eagerly waiting for the release. I can't wait and I'm sure you guys are doing a great job.
I really, only, truly hope you'll be able to include the wonderful teaser which had music from The Thin Red Line. Best teaser I've seen in years...
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I was talking with a guy at work, who stated that the Pearl Harbor releases were going to be delayed because of the WTC tragedy. Any news on that? Frankly, I hadn't heard any inkling of that at all.
robyn

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
As I never saw Pearl Harbor at the theater for obvious reasons... I will at least rent the director's cut.
I liked The Rock for what it was, but I feel an MTV-like director who can do those kinds of testosterone-filled, quick cut action movies should not go anywhere near a slice of history like Pearl Harbor. It's insulting to such a dark day in American History and the people who lived it.
Now Armageddon was pure empty-headed crap in every sense of the word and Disney still signed Bay on for Pearl Harbor. I'm still shaking my head.
Would the Japanese want someone like Bay directing a film depicting the dropping of the A-Bombs on their country? I think not.
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on September 24, 2001 at 12:45 PM]

Jim C

Second Unit
Well, I loved the movie and am not ashamed to admit it. I can't wait to see the DC on DVD. The DVD could not be in better hands and I have no doubts it will be awesome. Many thanks to David for his continued updates and participation on this forum.
Jim Carter

David Prior

Insider
Frank and others who have asked:
I'm sorry to have to report that we cannot use the Thin Red Line music in the teaser. It was everyone's favorite choice and we did everything in our power to make it happen, but there were insurmountable legal entanglements.
I'm telling you this now in an effort to avoid any unpleasant surprises when the disc comes out. Please be aware that we did our damndest and it couldn't be done. The music was only cleared for the theatrical release campaign, but (and I believe this was Terrence Malick's decision) it could not be cleared for home video.
The good news is that we re-tracked it with some of Hans Zimmer's score for Pearl Harbor and it's quite good. I know it will be hard to get the other version out of your head, but if you're able, I think you'll like the new one very much.
Cheers,
David

Mark E J

Second Unit
David,
Thanks for these updates, I for one really appreciate them. That's too bad about the TRL music but thanks for trying. I think the Hanz Zimmer score for Pearl Harbor is trully beautiful in it's own right so I am really looking forward to seeing what you did with the new music. By the way what is going to happen with the full trailer? Will you use the internet re-score with The Crow music or use PH score as well?
Also could you give us any idea (without going into specifics) what level of violence the new cut will have? I only ask because the lack of gore and graphic/intense violence seems to be the main problem with most of those who dislike this movie. And since Saving Private Ryan is likely to be example by which we judge all war films from now on, can you tell us how the director's cut of Pearl Harbor will compare to SPR?
Thanks again for your time and hard work.
[Edited last by Mark E J on September 25, 2001 at 03:48 AM]

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Isn't a DVD-18 more costly production wise then producing 2 DVD-9's? I read around the time T2:UE came out that the DVD-18 failure rate was high which was why they switched to 2 DVD-9's. I would prefer 2 DVD-9's myself for the supplements...who wouldn't want a 4 disc SE!

Han

Second Unit
So nobody has a problem with the Director's Cut being split over 2 discs???
...custom 3D-animated menus, an introduction an explanation of letterbox by the director...intermission...Dolby Digital 5.1...
Ya know, if these things were kept out in order to put a DTS + DD 2.0 version of the Director's cut on one dual-layered DVD, I would not hesitate at all to choose this version. I remember when Dances With Wolves came out with a 1 disc DD 5.1 version and a split over 2 disc DTS (full bit rate) version. I did not hesitate to grab the 1 disc DD version, because it was essentially the same movie. In Pearl Harbor's case, though, the decision is not as easy.
It's not like I'm such a fan of the movie that I'd want the DC no matter what, but I do like the movie enough to own and would rather have the DC if it wasn't for this split over 2 discs thing.

Frank L

Stunt Coordinator
David Prior wrote:
quote: Frank and others who have asked:
I'm sorry to have to report that we cannot use the Thin Red Line music in the teaser. It was everyone's favorite choice and we did everything in our power to make it happen, but there were insurmountable legal entanglements.[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up David. It's a shame the legal issues couldn't be resolved, but I'm fully confident that you tried everything possible to make it happen. You can't win all the time I guess. Still, I can't wait to see how the teaser will be like with Hans' own music, which I liked a lot actually. It should be a treat.
As for the other one with the TRL music, well I got it on quicktime so I guess I can always go and check it out there.
Thanks again for continuing to participate here with us. Keep up the good work and feel free to keep us informed on the latest news :)
As for the issue of the movie being split in two discs, I have no problem with it. I much prefer that to be the case because it gives room for much better video and audio (higher raters), plus commentary and the rest, than to cram it up all into one disc. Besides, I kind of like the idea of intermissions, reminds me of movies like 2001: Space Odyssey :)
------------------
Frank
frank.jpg

DVD Collection | Website
[Edited last by Frank L on September 25, 2001 at 04:30 PM]

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm always amazed at how whiny some people can be.
How about those people get a third disc that is a DVD-9 so they can have the pretty artwork on it, of course theyd miss half the supplements, but think of the pretty artwork and the safety of avoiding the most efficient disc possible.
I'd rather have two DVD-18's - one with the film, one with the supplements. I may be the only person on the planet that loves DVD-18s but somebody has to.
And if you dont want to have to change discs at intermission, may i suggest waiting until the film screens on HBO or ABC? that way you wont have to get up at all...
As to the teaser - I know this teaser was on one of the Total Movie DVDs - did it have the music you guys are looking for? might be worth looking into.

Han

Second Unit
Moe, what are the chances of the Director's Cut coming on HBO or ABC. Come on, really?
As a side note, with some initial reports of Superbits DVDs having barely any video improvements, I'm wondering if having Pearl Harbor: DC or The Godfather II split over two DVDs, is really worth it. Come on, it's 480p/i no matter how you look at it. If the master is clean and the people doing the transfers aren't totally inept, I don't see how going from a low amount of mpeg-2 compression to a slightly lower amount of compression is worth it at a SDTV level resolution.
If we didn't whine, I'd venture to guess that DIVX would still be around and Buena Vista, Fox, and Paramount would still be releasing non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs today.
[Edited last by Han on September 27, 2001 at 09:52 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks