What's new

PE 250 amp (1 Viewer)

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
OH MY!!! What a difference!!! I replaced my old Technics receiver with the PE 250watt amp and I'm glad that I did. I cannot beleive how much more "clean" output I got. I ran all the tests and even TPM passed with flying colors!!! I have never felt bass like this before and I only have to amp volume about 1/3. WHEW!!! Now owners of this amp how do you know if the bass boost is disabled??? I have my crossover at 40hz because of my setup. Denon 2802, JBL s412p(200watt RmS) mains, JBL L1 center, and S-38's rears. I know my mains go into the high 25+,s by themselves. Thank you all for helping with the project. My friends are in awe when I demoed it this afternoon.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
The easiest way is to let us know when you bought it. If it is within the past month to month and a half the boost is disabled.

To find out for sure you need to look at R26 & R27 resistors and let us know what the colored stripes are on the resistors and we can tell you what rating they are.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought it on Friday of last week. I am definately hitting lowend because my upstairs is ready to blast off the rest of the house plus on the extrtemely lowend my pants leg and chest feel every hit. I don't have a SPL meter(have to borrow a friend's) so I just left the LFE db at "0" and then adjusted the volume knob. A little more than 1/3 now. Is there another test disc other than Avia or VE to calibrate my system???

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't able to turn the volume know more than 1/3 either to get acceptable power/bass from the plate amp/driver combo.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't able to turn the volume know more than 1/3 either to get acceptable power/bass from the plate amp/driver combo.
So I haven't been crazy when I tell people there's no way in hell I could even get close to turning a plate amp's volume wide open and then adjusting the sub out on the receiver! :)
On my Crown K2, yes. On a plate amp, no.
Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
On my Crown K2, yes. On a plate amp, no.
well considering that the K2 has an input sensitivity of like 1.4V@10Kohms and the plate amp has an estimated 330mV@30Kohms, the plate amp could very well be at full output at 1/3 the way up with enough input voltage.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
That's interesting, I have to max the level on my PE amp in order to achieve an adequate sub volume for DVD movies. (During 2 channel music the knob has to be turned down to half way or lower)

Maybe I should get new drivers for my sound card (Hercules GTXP).

I'm using a tempest in an adire alignment. Oh and one more thing, during the matrix lobby scene, I seem to get more of a jumble of bass rather than discrete overlapping tones and hits. I'm using an unshielded 17ft interconnect so that may be causing distortion.

On my PE amp, the red light is always on when I switch the sub "off" and the power supply stays warm. Is this normal?

VinhT

Second Unit
Chris, it's not really your sound card. My computer is the same way. I have to turn the volume down for music and up for DVDs. It's because movies are so dynamic that the low-level signal sent out of the sound card is much lower than that of music, to prevent clipping or conserve headroom (I think, not sure about the technical details). Anyways, it's normal.

As for the PE amp, red light and warm in the off position are normal. I like to think of it as not really being off, it's just not making any noise.

Vinh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks