PDA remote controls any good?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Eric_L, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Here are two different ideas, and I find them both interesting. I thought I'd see if anyone else had any experience or thoughts. I did a search of HTF and came up empty.
    http://www.connected.tv/Home - PALM

http://www.pdawin.com/tvremote.html - PC

I am intrigued by the idea I can make a custom remote with a custom layout. I could put my mactros all where I want them and lable them simple enough for any guest to figure out.

I presently don't own any pda, so I can buy whatever.

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

When I looked into this a couple years back, most PDA IR transmitters were only good for 10 feet or less. The newer models may be a bit stronger. If you are close to the equipment then you may not have a problem.

EDIT: I guess I should note that I tried it on a Palm III or IIIX. A friend had a Palm V and both of us didn't find the IR range adequate to use them as A/V remotes.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I tried omni-remote on a palm m100 and was very disapointed. Not only was the IR strength not quite enough, it also responded very slow to the press of a button. I've since went with a Pronto TS1000 and haven't looked back. The Pronto works great, has great IR distance, and has yet to disapoint me.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have used the Nevo on my iPAQ 3970, but I find it is only useful for changing channels at bars and airports. The built-in library of codes is impressive. It is a nice bonus feature, but I am glad that it is not my main remote control. I much prefer the hard buttons on my MX-500.