What's new

PCM from TV into an older receiver (1 Viewer)

Soundingbored

Auditioning
Real Name
Julian
Hello. I am having some issues with a new TV and an older receiver. For several years I have been using a Harmon Kardon AVR500 receiver with a Sylvania LCD TV. I ran the digital coax output from the TV into one of the digital inputs on the HK. The receiver has no HDMI inputs. It would display Dolby Digital and 3/2.1 or 2.0 or similar, and on the occasional TV program we would hear something from the rear speakers. When we switched between DVD and TV on the receiver, the volume level would be roughly the same. It all seemed to work fine. Last week we bought a Sanyo DP39843 TV, and I again connected the digital audio out on the TV to the digital input on the HK. Now the display reads PCM. When we switch from DVD to TV, the volume control needs to be turned up about 20dB to get the same volume level. Also we haven't heard anything come out of the rear speakers since we switched TVs, but we only have an antenna for TV signals rather than cable, and we didn't get many programs in surround sound before. Should we be able to get surround sound with this set-up, or could the Sanyo only be putting out stereo through the digital audio out? Is the volume level issue unique to the Sanyo, or would we have the same problem if we changed to a different brand of TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guess(not downloading the manual, but this should send you in the correct direction) is DD is not default as "on".

So, you need to find it and turn it "on". In the same area as "turn the TV speakers off"...you should find a setting. May not be blatantly labeled as "turn on your DD". It may be as obtuse as "stereo...yes/no"*.

*I've actually encountered cable boxes from Time Werner and Concast(both spelled that way on purpose) where the DD setting was actually...

1. Audio set up
2a. Are you listening to the TV? yes/no
2b. (would show up if you answered "no") Is this a soundbar or "other audio device"?

Clicking "other audio device" enabled DD.

Yes, there are manuals/procedures out there that are that stupid.

Soundingbored

Auditioning
Real Name
Julian
Thanks! I checked the on-screen setup options. There are some options for frequency equalization etc if you listen to the sound through the TV, but there appear to be no options related to the digital output. The manual is very basic and offers little advice on the digital output, simply telling the owner to connect it to a receiver. I think I will be returning this TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks